Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 03:12 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Shhh! WHERE'S STEEPS? Lol...
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbackape15 View Post
I lived in Chicago for the past 16 years and then moved to NYC this January so I can give you a first hand assessment of the differences.

I had never visited NYC till a month or so before I moved here. I had been to a lot of the major cities in the country, Houston, Atlanta, DC, Boston etc but everywhere I went, once I saw their downtowns and so called urban/city life, I was always more appreciative of how much bigger the city of Chicago was compared to the other major cities. In short everywhere I went seemed like a small town in regards to city life when I compared it to Chi. You think of downtown to southside to northside to westside and Chi compared to most American cities is just downright massive. So when I thought of NYC I used to picture a place that was comparable to Chicago. A place maybe at most slightly bigger cause in my mind how the hell could a city be that much bigger than this massive city of Chicago with all the buildings etc. Well to cut the long story short, NYC is not a little bit bigger but a whole lot bigger in terms of urban/city build up or life.

In Chicago I have lived all over the city except for the Northside. I lived downtown for 7 years, on Dearborn and Lake st and in the south loop. Let me start off by saying in a lot of replies I see people talking much about Michigan ave as far as foot traffic, this is understandable from the perspective of people that don't live in Chicago or people that live in Illinois but don't live or work downtown. State street for the most part has more foot traffic than most of Michigan ave. When I lived on Dearborn and lake, State st was a block away and state was always more congested with people than most of Michigan ave. Michigan ave is not really congested all except some certain parts, more specifically between a little after Randolph all the way to around Ohio where most of the main shopping, Water tower etc is located. With that said for the most part State street has more foot traffic in general that Michigan. So in general most streets in Manhattan (mid town and downtown) have more foot traffic on an average day than Michigan and avenue if you are looking at Michigan in its entirety as it passes through downtown. Hell they even have more foot traffic than State street on the average day. I am just saying just observing from street view. But remember I said most streets not all streets. Picture it like this, think of Michigan ave during the taste of Chicago, when you have the roads blocked off to cars and you have people walking in the center of the street and so forth. now subtract the people walking in the middle of the road when the streets are blocked off from vehicle traffic, so all you have left is the amount of people walking on the sidewalks during the taste, and thats how everyday life is in Manhattan. And its just normal everyday life in NYC. It might sound overwhelming but it gets normal pretty quickly and you accept it as normal city life.

For this post I will only compare Manhattan to downtown Chi. A lot of what people said in this thread is true as far as bigger side walks in Manhattan as compared to downtown Chicago and narrower streets as well. The avenues in Manhattan are probably bigger as far as number of lanes than downtown Chi.

Walking on the streets of Midtown coming from Chi you will have a different perspective than people visiting NYC from most of the other cities in the country cause you are used to tall buildings, but you will definitely notice that NYC has A WHOLE lot more of them. Downtown Chi you will see a wall of buildings on some streets but others might have tall buildings followed by short ones followed by tall ones and so forth to where its really not a wall of skyscrappers cause they are mixed with shorter buildings. you can count on one hand how many streets downtown Chi really have a true wall of skyscrappers side by side that stretches as far as the eye can see (pay close attention to this and you will see what I mean). Thats not the case in midtown Manhattan, it literally seems like every street has a wall of skyscrapers and you look down the street and you can't even see where the wall ends. And the buildings in NYC are built bigger as in girth.

Chi has tall buildings but the sheer size and number of NYC's buildings has a marked "holy sh**" feeling to it. Walking down the streets of Manhattan, whatever part you are in, there is just this energy the city has, others keeping using the phrase "I can't really explain it" and I will have to agree with that, there is something about the vibe of NYC that is unique and very addictive. Chi or any other city I have been to does not have that energy and you can notice it walking down the streets.

Everything is just more. Another marked difference in NYC compared to Chi is commerce. In Chi downtown its mostly chain type stores.. popular brands etc. NYC has tons of stores that are just small business kind of stores that are not name brand. Obviously the popular name brand stores are here as well, in large numbers but there are large numbers of the so called "no name" kind of stores too. they are everywhere and its mind blowing how much commerce NYC has.

Lets just put it like this Chi downtown seems like a big city that was built with a ruler and all the tools used to make sure it is properly structured and everything is in place in the right proportion and everything fits where it is supposed to fit so it can be symmetrically a masterpiece in terms of aesthetic organization and will make an observer be wowed at how such a big city could be so well thought up and molded into this. NYC on the other hand seems like a place that just grew to the size it is not because of trying to fit any scheme but just cause things just kept being pilled on top of each other till this ginormous thing came out of it. Don't get me wrong NYC is a beautiful city but it just doesn't seem like it grew under the restrictions Chi grew under.

.. Anyway its another aspect that is different in NYC. Also I think people in NYC are somewhat nicer than people in Chi. In Chicago a lot of people are on edge and constantly seem like they have to prove that they are tough or not push overs, and I don't get that vibe in NYC, people don't seem as edgy.

Thats my 2 cents, I won't go into the other boroughs cause thats a whole other twist but I hope this helps.
As for this post. I can't say i disagree with another's view with both good views on Chicago and really no negatives but very subjective ones on people.

The Highlighted I definitely agree with. Subways/"L" I can't. Though Manhattan did remove its Elevated trains. I use to think Chicago should have too. But today realize it is part of the fabric of the Loop and it is no longer a stigma to have a business under it or more neglected.

On Street size perhaps the Loop overall has a bit more narrow sidewalks and/of streets them most of Manhattan. I know Lower Manhattan has some very old narrow ones. But the rest of Downtown Near North-River North. I don't see that way. PHILLY though has the most narrow streets and sidewalks Downtown.

On people its subjective. I'd say most living in Chi Downtown and Manhattan today are transplant anyway, and always plenty of tourist walking around. But OUR NOLA101 would say Chicago gets the Lower standard Midwestern College still types Young Urban Professionals and NYC apparently more sophisticated higher standard ones LOL She uses the nicknames that i can't recall? Also most call that Midwestern types.... more laid back and friendlier?

On State St kind of vs. North Michigan Ave.? Not sure about that. N Michigan is Always full of tourist. And more office workers in the Loop to be around State St. But GLAD CHICAGO Has Both and Old Marshall Field's was saved as a store by Macy's. Glad the street bounced back as more MALL type stores.

My first visit to Manhattan was AFTER living in Chicago. So skyscrapers were not new to me. But being left off by bus in the Jeweler's district with ALL the gated stores and even on 5th Ave. Took away for me. CHICAGO does not have the gated stores Downtown. Maybe not allowed but GLAD THEY DON'T Most of the city don't but for high crime neighborhoods.

No alleys and trash bags off Times square did not help. Also random shops discount places are nice to find but .... still took away a bit of that Disneyland city of the movies. ...

Well got to run... guest i added enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:19 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
In my mind, the big difference is that Chicago really lacks the "old world" low rise residential areas. Although, the skyscrapers of Midtown and the Financial District get most of the attention, by land area Manhattan is mostly solidly build residential neighborhoods with tightly built 5-story pre-war apartment buildings and a few tall buildings hear and there. The most famous examples are south of 14th street, but Upper Manhattan is also solidly built with 5-story pre-war walk ups on narrow side streets.

Chicago doesn't really have high density residential neighborhoods like this. The city transitions from the "downtown" high rises to leafy neighborhoods full of 2-3 story flats and sporadic apartment buildings. Often these transitions are broken up by railroads, highways, empty lots etc.

In my mind, this makes NYC a much more interesting place to walk around. It mixes the skyscrapers and energy of an Asian mega city like Tokyo or Hong Kong with the old world European flair of a Paris or a Madrid. That being said, I would vastly prefer to live in Chicago. It is much more manageable to actually live in on a day to day basis.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
In my mind, the big difference is that Chicago really lacks the "old world" low rise residential areas. Although, the skyscrapers of Midtown and the Financial District get most of the attention, by land area Manhattan is mostly solidly build residential neighborhoods with tightly built 5-story pre-war apartment buildings and a few tall buildings hear and there. The most famous examples are south of 14th street, but Upper Manhattan is also solidly built with 5-story pre-war walk ups on narrow side streets.

Chicago doesn't really have high density residential neighborhoods like this. The city transitions from the "downtown" high rises to leafy neighborhoods full of 2-3 story flats and sporadic apartment buildings. Often these transitions are broken up by railroads, highways, empty lots etc.

In my mind, this makes NYC a much more interesting place to walk around. It mixes the skyscrapers and energy of an Asian mega city like Tokyo or Hong Kong with the old world European flair of a Paris or a Madrid. That being said, I would vastly prefer to live in Chicago. It is much more manageable to actually live in on a day to day basis.
Yes Chicago CHOSE after the Great Fire of 1871. To NOT FOLLOW NYC's TENEMENT-Style housing. It also did not go with a Row Home city as Philly. But did have examples.... mostly higher End Victorians.

Tenements were housing for the Masses. But today they are converted into higher-end housing. Even going through Harlem now. But those areas of Manhattan to Brooklyn. That have Single Brownstones and other Victorians. They are....MOST SOUGHT AFTER. FOR A REASON.... North of Downtown Old Town through Lincoln Park and Lakeview. Are many Highly sought after Victorians also. Many newer infill buildings are 4-5 story ones too. Even with original 1-3 story homes between them.

Like this example... New multi-story infill CONDO'S/Apt's. Among original late 1800 homes in Chicago.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9408...7i13312!8i6656

Across the street too...
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9409...7i13312!8i6656

I don't think you will find this in Manhattan. Lovely Victorians with LUSH GREEN FRONTS AND OMG TREES.... North of Downtown.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9225...7i13312!8i6656

Lovely CHICAGO Victorians basically in Rows but everyone unique.... among the HIGH-RISES. So many lost FOR the High-Rises of the Gold Coast.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9016...7i13312!8i6656

I think this is a LOVELY NEW DEVELOPMENT for Urban living yet all the attributes of grandeur and elegance. To work Downtown Mass transit home and the Lakefront near and ALL THE CITY EATERIES. STILL YOU CAN HAVE A CAR TOO.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9294...7i13312!8i6656

Another type of NEW INFILL. Couple Homes here Original 1900 era. The others New infill. LOVELY THOUGH IN THE CITY.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9571...7i13312!8i6656

LOVELY Originals
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9227...7i13312!8i6656

Interesting WACKY ROWS REALLY ......,Southside higher crime neighborhood. But restored..... actually some awesome streets here. Some across the street too.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8820...7i13312!8i6656

Bit of a Tour......

Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 PM

75 posts, read 108,589 times
Sidewalks in New York are narrower, dirtier, more decrepit and more crowded than in Chicago.

The streets in New York are much narrower, drivers are much more aggressive and pedestrians are much pushier.

You see more public transportation vehicles (i.e., buses, cabs, ride-shares, etc.) on the roads in New York than in Chicago, where you tend to see more cars on the roadways.

The buildings, stores, restaurants, etc. in New York look and feel older. This is partly due to the fact that they most likely are older in terms of age and, subsequently, design, but overall, New York has less of a sleek, polished feel than Chicago, IMO.

There seems to be less greenery (i.e., trees, plantings, etc.) along the streets of New York, too.

IMO, it's much more pleasant to walk the streets of Chicago than those of New York, at least in the summer (Chicago summers are cooler than New York summers). Both cities are too cold to be enjoyed in the wintertime, at least for me (I'm not a cold weather person at all).

Chicago, FTW.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 PM

366 posts, read 404,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Sidewalks in New York are narrower, dirtier, more decrepit and more crowded than in Chicago.

The streets in New York are much narrower, drivers are much more aggressive and pedestrians are much pushier.

You see more public transportation vehicles (i.e., buses, cabs, ride-shares, etc.) on the roads in New York than in Chicago, where you tend to see more cars on the roadways.

The buildings, stores, restaurants, etc. in New York look and feel older. This is partly due to the fact that they most likely are older in terms of age and, subsequently, design, but overall, New York has less of a sleek, polished feel than Chicago, IMO.

There seems to be less greenery (i.e., trees, plantings, etc.) along the streets of New York, too.

IMO, it's much more pleasant to walk the streets of Chicago than those of New York, at least in the summer (Chicago summers are cooler than New York summers). Both cities are too cold to be enjoyed in the wintertime, at least for me (I'm not a cold weather person at all).

Chicago, FTW.
I usually don't like to respond to fanboy posts like this, but Chicago summers are hotter (because of the humidity) and winters also much colder than NYC. If you actually spent time both cities, you should know that.

Most of everything you said comes with being just an obviously more urban and vibrant city than Chicago btw.

Painting them as negatives is ironic given the fact that if you compare Chicago with majority of other places in the country, almost everything you are seemingly presenting as a bad thing fits Chicago instead.

Last edited by KaneKane; 09-16-2015 at 11:21 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 04:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I usually don't like to respond to fanboy posts like this, but Chicago summers are hotter (because of the humidity) and winters also much colder than NYC. If you actually spent time both cities, you should know that.
But that's just wrong. Average summer temperatures are the same; humidity is very slightly higher in NYC. See dewpoint graphs. Difference is too small to be noticeable. Chicago is somewhat more variable in the summer, though.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Quote:
Painting them as negatives is ironic given the fact that if you compare Chicago with majority of other places in the country, almost everything you are seemingly presenting as a bad thing fits Chicago instead.
Sure, but for some New York City is too much while Chicago is just right and less urban cities not enough.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sure, but for some New York City is too much while Chicago is just right and less urban cities not enough.
Yes that's either called bias or preference. Doesn't change the FACT that Chicago hardly offers the best of every world, boasting for the less urban qualities being a positive is stupid, given the fact that MAJORITY of places can do exactly that against it.

If being more urban is suppose to be a negative, Chicago has mostly negative qualities to like what 80-85% of the country? A wild guess but I'm pretty sure I'm close.

Have to go to work soon so I'll get back on the weather later. I'm pretty sure I looked up relative humidity and dew point for both (or saw someone else do it) and Chicago ended up the hotter city.

Last edited by KaneKane; 09-17-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Yes that's either called bias or preference. Doesn't change the FACT that Chicago hardly offers the best of every world, lobbying for the less urban qualities being a positive is stupid, given the fact that MAJORITY of places can do exactly that against it.

If being more urban is suppose to be a negative, Chicago has mostly negative qualities to like what 80-85% of the country? A wild guess but I'm pretty sure I'm close.

Have to go to work now so I'll get back on the weather. I'm pretty sure I looked up relative humidity and dew point for both (or saw someone else do it) and Chicago ended up the hotter city.
You tried to use summer weather against Chicago. Which i might add..... Chicago is generally COOLER in summer near the Lake. Where it can be up to 10 degrees cooler. That is where DOWNTOWN, its High-rise and Skyscraper living is and densest sought after neighborhoods are.

Now basically you try to demean Chicago's Urbanity. TRUE, CHICAGO chose after the Great fire of 1871. As a NEW City arose. NOT to do NYC-style Tenements FOR ITS MASSES. After all.... they were housing for the masses. Just today they get made into High-End housing.

Chicago also did far less Row housing, though its densest neighborhoods have singles mere inches apart and can connect... most don't. Also set-backs from the street were made standard off main streets and a full alleyway grid throughout the city, but its last push were it matched streets to the suburbs with driveways.

No one questions NYC's and especially Manhattan's urbanity numbers. Better is subjective. I like Chicago's Urbanity better. More green in neighborhoods, power-line poles not in fronts but in the back alleys in neighborhoods.

As for Downtowns. NYC is a beast. All Manhattan is basically the common term Downtown (I do realize originally a term for only lower Manhattan). Chicago's Downtown is like just Mid-Town. Compact. But in that 3 mile stretch along Lake Michigan is attributes of All Manhattan.

No one lessens or discounts NYC's Urbanity and Stature in the Nation and World. But New Yorkers have this Fly-Over attitude toward Chicago. Lessen what it has attained to its credit and need to have NYC as Superior in EVERY way. More of most... does not mean ALL.

Chicago still holds the second most Urban city in the US status. Despite loss of housing on its Southside to Racial strife and neglect. The city had to clear out once vibrant housing. Leaving empty lots returned to prairie. One day it will get infill as other Neighborhoods in gentrification have.

But as some claim Chicago Skyscrapers can have plazas and its Skyscrapers for living in. Can have garages on lower levels that take away from street level retail and such. It still offers plenty of variety in choice. But CHICAGO STILL OFFERS WEALTHY A CHANCE TO STORE THEIR PORSHE OR FERRARI. IN A GARAGE AT HOME.

Chicago was always a retail on main streets and neighborhoods branch off as quite and more green zones. Some high-end skyscraper neighborhoods are no different. I'D PREFER TO GO HOME TO A MORE QUITE ZONE.

Pictures can CLEARLY SHOW CHICAGO IS NO SLOUCH IN HIGH-RISE TO SKYSCAPER LIVING. ALL HIGH-END. Its failed High-rise Notorious Projects are all GONE.

PICTURES SPEAK TOO...

COMMON CHICAGO STREET GRID AND HOUSING. No double-homes or Rows. But
Tightly, Bu spaced single homes with front green space, lawns smallish back yards.
Because MOST chose to build garages facing alleys. Also all power-line poles there.

SOME OF THE OLDEST CHICAGO NEIGBORHOODS. This being WRIGLEYVILLE part of Lakeview.
Always plenty of TREES. Still setbacks with green space. No Tenements.

NOW DOWNTOWN. THIS IS RIVER NORTH. LOFTS, MID-RISE AND NEWER TOWNNHOUSES.
For URBAN LIVING DOWNTOWN.

A NEW-YORK-CITYESQUE VIEW... ONLY CHICAGO CAN TAKE ON OUTSIDE MANHATTAN.

NEAR NORTH DOWNTOWN STREETERVILLE. MOSTLY HIGH-END SKYSCAPER LIVING. GOLD COAST IN BACKROUND. Not considered Downtown but should be at least to Lincoln Park too. LOOKING NORTH.

OVER LINCOLN PARK (bigger then Central Park) over Gold Coast and Downtown.

DOWNTOWN CHICAGO WITH ITS AWESOME LAKESHORE PARKS, HARBORS and BEACHES,

Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You tried to use summer weather against Chicago. Which i might add..... [b]Chicago is generally COOLER in summer near the Lake
I'm posting from my phone so I'll try keep this short.

Don't take this personally, but I'm one of those people that block out almost everything you say.

You are the 18Montclair of Chicago. If I wanted to read constant boasting pieces about Chicago, then your posts might be worth reading. On top of that, it's very hard to understand you.

I didn't read most of that. But just one thing though, so what if Chicago is by a lake? NY is by an ocean...

But I'll cover weather later when I have the time.

But you should really stop responding to me personally. Because with all due respect, there is no reason not to put you in my ignore list, which I'm doing.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 PM

^^^^ Did i hit a nerve? Or did he feel ganged up on? I mean he responds on weather. On my post others noted first in his error. Others only specified facts on Summers in Chicago and NYC and i with theirs... noted is generally cooler near the Lake in Chicago. Defiantly true in summer. My post was not merely that but.....

I think Nola101 needs to pop back in to help him/her out. Nola likes to hammer Chicago on NYC's VAST Superiority on Street level over Chicago. I won't hammer NYC. But we ALL HAVE A PREFERENCE and FAVORITE.

But i KEPT RESPECTFUL to NYC's status and World's City it has become. But To DEFEND CHICAGO for the URBANITY IT HAS. IS NOT UNDERCUTTING NYC. Just when others SAY... CHICAGO IT HAS NOTHING AT ALL ON OR SIMILAR TO NYC's level. NOTHING??? Then of course why shouldn't others defend.

DEFENDING as to what i believe it is noteworthy on and can stand toll on..... pun intended. That is what C-D city vs. city threads do.

Liking to post pictures i see as aids to a point of view and defense. Sorry if some felt I somehow hurt their feelings on how i see it. But WEATHER points gain Ignore. Hurt ego i guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City