Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,793,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're selling Memphis WAAAYYYY short here, and I don't know of anyone who associates Elvis with Nashville over Memphis. Nashville may be growing faster and the new media darling on the block right now, but Memphis has long made its mark and carved out its niche. And for what it's worth, it's still the largest city in the state, at least for now.
He is DEAD wrong about Elvis being associated with any city other than Memphis.

I travel around the world for work constantly. People who are Elvis fanatics definatley talk about going to Memphis for the sole purpose of visiting Graceland.

Not saying Memphis is famous, but for those who are intersted in Elvis, its the ONLY city on their mind.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,284,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Well, just like Philly has its own unique brand of history that makes it special, the history, and amenities that are seen in Houston have their own unique brand found only in Houston, and nowhere else.
Separate does not mean equal. In my 26 years there, I never saw this:

(my pic)

Old 08-25-2015, 01:28 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,284,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Every visitor at some point becomes a tourist. When companies decide on where to locate one of the question they have to ask themselves is, is this place a good place to visit, as well as is this a good place to live.
Wrong. I lived in Houston for 26 years. I never considered whether it was a tourist site, and neither did the colleagues from around the world who did a stint there.

Houston should stick to what it does best. It will fail miserably if it seeks to claim "tourism" as one of its competitive attributes.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:31 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,116,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
He is DEAD wrong about Elvis being associated with any city other than Memphis.

I travel around the world for work constantly. People who are Elvis fanatics definatley talk about going to Memphis for the sole purpose of visiting Graceland.

Not saying Memphis is famous, but for those who are intersted in Elvis, its the ONLY city on their mind.
Yep. But that's what happens when you are presented with facts and are too proud to admit you are wrong to the point where you even try to convince YOURSELF that your point trumps the actual facts.

I just told the guy that I grew up in Memphis and have seen hundreds of thousands of tourists from around the world visit there yearly for Elvis and Graceland (2nd most visited residence in America behind the White House), and that people bring up Elvis whenever they find out I'm from Memphis, but I guess I don't know what the heck I'm talking about, though?

Also, Nashville being the current media darling of Tennessee has absolutely nothing to do with people (rightfully) associating Elvis with Memphis. To be honest, these days, Elvis is the main thing that keeps Nashville from taking all the tourists who visit Tennessee away from Memphis. So once again, NO, nobody asociates Elvis with Nashville---or any other city---over Memphis. And they never will.

That would be like if one day, Baton Rogue suddenly become more trendy than New Orleans for the first time in decades, so people stopped associating Louis Armstrong with New Orleans and started associating him with Baton Rogue instead, just because both cities are in Louisiana. See how dumb that sounds?!?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,523,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Understood. But my comments in a Houston thread. Started with threads on Houston overtaking Chicago Proper in population in a few years to decade or more. Houstonians were ELATED to possibly CLAIM 3rd city status coming. The case for not close in Prestige and Influence and if it will not anytime soon fight? Was on.

So the comparisons to Chicago to bring it in was on, and why in many factors Houston seems to fall short on?

--Houston should have held planning higher.
--Zoning sets a Standard all developers attain, crushed a few times in history.
--A Subway system allowed to be crushed in the 70s.
--Included the city's part in making sure the developers built in a standard set-back from streets and sidewalks.
--Did its part to keep up with them building streets with curbs.

It has its share of Corruption. As Moody's credit rating agency WARNED Houston trying to ON THE BOOKS... Hide its REAL Pension Debt.

So all is not perfect in FAST GROWING HOUSTON. Surpassing Detroit's Debt.
Houston

Also Moody's noted Houston's Cap on expenditures to inflation. While it is GROWING in such numbers.
Moody's hands Houston negative debt outlook, cites pension costs - Houston Chronicle How can they keep up in street building and all the needs of expanding on its vast land holdings?
This is going off in too many directions here. Briefly as the article states Moody's still give Houston a good financial outlook and also suggest that Houston's debt problem is still not as dire as that of Chicago. Yes I'm sure there would be some elation from Houstonians if Houston were to become the 3rd largest city but there is elation in any city anytime its position improves on population scales as well as other measures of a cities success.

As far as the subject of visitors and tourist, Chicago's financial woe's have not impeded its ability to draw and wow visitors and tourist so I don't see this as relevant to why visitors and tourist either are or are not overlooking Houston.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,542,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I always associate Elvis in Tennessee with Nashville because it's the country music epicenter. But he was in L.A. as an actor in the '60s and in his final years, performing in Las Vegas.

More people associate Elvis with Vegas due to the bumper crop of impersonators on the sidewalks and the nostalgia of the less expensive Vegas of the '70s compared to the bland corporatists that renovated Vegas back in the '90s of today. Who wants to pay $25 for the buffet at Caesars' Palace? What happened to the $5-10 stuff?

But as the years have gone on, Elvis becomes ancient history as successive generations replenish humanity. The millennials would never know of his true love of gospel and blues music that permeated his rock style. People want to keep the image of comeback '70s Elvis in their minds forever and the younger '50s Elvis with the few hits that became standards, and the popular view has stayed that way.
Like everyone is saying, you are dead-wrong about this. Elvis = Memphis. Period.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:46 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,116,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Like everyone is saying, you are dead-wrong about this. Elvis = Memphis. Period.
Yeah, and he's also dead wrong about everything else he said as well...lol. I think he's going for some kind of record!

Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,486,808 times
Quote:
Fine but youre trying to convince people that LA and SF are no more unique than Houston. No one is buying it...
LMAO that was pretty funny. I like this guy he is entertaining and funny.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,523,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Wrong. I lived in Houston for 26 years. I never considered whether it was a tourist site, and neither did the colleagues from around the world who did a stint there.

Houston should stick to what it does best. It will fail miserably if it seeks to claim "tourism" as one of its competitive attributes.
Houston needs to focus on it's quality of life for the people who do live and visit Houston. Houston is for the most part a regional draw for tourist but it is definitely a international draw for visitors who will always do some touristy activity when they visit any location.

It has been demonstrated in this thread over and over, by friend and foe alike, that Houston is a draw for visitors whether they are on business or not.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,932,841 times
Quote:
Well I, for one, never made that argument. But even though its brand of history doesn't have the broad appeal of Philly, it just hasn't capitalized on that. As I said earlier, if the San Jacinto Monument were built downtown on a mall with other attractions surrounding it, that would be awesome. You said that the Alamo and SJM were similar from a historic perspective, but location makes all the difference in terms of how well-known and visited the Alamo is.
You didn't make the argument, but far to often, loads of people utilize the misnomer when trying to make their claims.

Quote:
My mention of "30 or 40 other cities" had to do with architecture, urban environment, parks, etc.--characteristics that you mentioned. In this respect, the only thing really unique about Houston is its lack of zoning but even then, city leaders could think outside of the box to create something quirky towards that end.
But there is still as distinct vibe found only in Houston and its neighborhoods, that is found nowhere else in the US, by virtue of the particular concentration of demographics, amenities, cultures all at a specific location on the Gulf Coast.

Quote:
I agree, and its also the vintage cable cars and its geography and the way the city is built.

What's even more important than the attractions themselves is the way in which they are "stitched" together, so to speak. That's why the most urban cities hold the appeal that they do.
No disagreement here.

Quote:
This post made me want to vomit.

So much mis-information about Dallas in here that its obvious youre either really clueless or trying to be difficult.

Wanna know what the reaction in Dallas would be if the Cowboys running back was an atheist? THE EXACT SAME REACTION YOU GOT IN HOUSTON.

Ive lived in both and Houstonians have this absolutely ridiculous idea that Houston is so much more open minded than Dallas. Hate to brake it to you, it isnt. Its six one way, half a dozen the other. They are the same in this reguard and thats all there is to it.
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
So it still stands that the argument for Houston "not being unique because other cities have what it has," is bogus.
Fair enough.

You REALLY DO NOT GET IT. There is NO other GOLDEN GATE in such a setting. Philly's Ben Franklin looks similar from a distance. But going over it NO. SF's Bridge is PERFECTION and ART and ROMANCE.
No other Alcatraz a ISLAND Prison. Fisherman's Wharf is its own.

I normally do not defend SF. But to lessen its warrant to boost far lessor known Houston ones YOU DO NOT MENTION LIKE THEIRS? Saying many other city's have their comparable? IS WRONG.
Apparently You have no understanding of AESTHETICS and VISUAL Stimulation that WOWS not just NICE and OK? It matters and first impressions too.

They give a City THAT EDGE. That going home and WANTING TO SAY IT WAS AWESOME. A fellow employed at work. Visited Chicago to go to a Cub's and Sox Game. He also went to a Theater Play and walked Downtown. His impression of Wrigley Field was Awesome. He attended the "Taste of Chicago" festival. Raved about the food they sampled and the Grand setting and Skyline. Best $50 bucks for the festival Food He said he ever Spent.

That is what increases Stature a city gains in Reputation over merely stereotypes. So HOUSTON NEEDS MORE OF THE SAME GIVEN TO VISITORS.

Yn0hTnA You AGAIN brought up Philly too? Yes it has the nations historic sights right downtown and some original colonial neighborhoods. So does Boston. If Houston had the Alamo? It had something close. BUT WHAT HISTORY IN HOUSTON ON PAR WITH PHILLY BACK TO THE 1700s?

You can't lessen other city's EARNED ATTRIBUTES AND VISUAL REPUTATION. As a ....oh other city's have similar too... so? Expect it HELPS HOUSTON? NO

List all that GREAT TOURIST SIGHTS WE SHOULD KNOW? Get that out. Not lessen ALL other city's to make them more ordinary.... like perceptions of Houston?
Speak English.

Quote:
Separate does not mean equal. In my 26 years there, I never saw this:

(my pic)
Ahh, but Houston has those running:
Downtown Houston

Quote:

And if it does fail, it will be due only to foolish, pessimistic thinking, like you are exhibiting here. Stop being deluded; the Houston you lived in for 26 years is not the Houston that we see today, nor will it be the Houston for years on out, old-timer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City