Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:11 PM

289 posts, read 396,725 times

Advertisements

MRS Spring Meetings & Exhibits | Annual materials science meeting and exhibit in Phoenix

Looks like SF just lost a long running convention to Phoenix.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:15 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,645,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Quote:
I-Fei Chang, CEO and president of Greenland Group’s U.S. subsidiary, noted in a February interview that land for major projects in a gateway city is prized. “Look, if you go to San Francisco for the first project, that is only a 10-mile by 10-mile city. You don’t have much space,” she said. “Or New York, look at the prices and the overcrowding. Here, you have such a renaissance and there’s room to grow.”
Translation: SF and NYC are way too competitive so we settled for Los Angeles.
Yeah, you're right. Its only a statement from someone at the helm of the world's largest global real estate investment group, affirming her commitment to Los Angeles. I'm sure its totally because SF and NYC are too competitive for Greenland

BTW, Greenland is investing in New York, you dork. They're partnering with Forest City to build out Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn. I-Fei Chang is just saying its easier for them to built in Los Angeles than it is in NY or SF. Which is absolutely true. Land is cheaper and there are still plentiful parking lots in the core of the city. The thing that LA gets railed on in threads about urbanism is the very thing that's making it an easy place for foreign investors to go nuts in this cycle.

Metropolis by Hunter Kerhart on Flickr

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 08-26-2015 at 11:44 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,572,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Yeah, you're right. Its only a statement from someone at the helm of the world's largest global real estate investment group, affirming her commitment to Los Angeles. I'm sure its totally because SF and NYC are too competitive for Greenland

BTW, Greenland is investing in New York, you dork. They're partnering with Forest City to build out Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn. I-Fei Chang is just saying its easier for them to built in Los Angeles than it is in NY or SF. Which is absolutely true. Land is cheaper and there are still plentiful parking lots in the core of the city. The thing that LA gets railed on in threads about urbanism is the very thing that's making it an easy place for foreign investors to go nuts in this cycle.

Metropolis by Hunter Kerhart on Flickr
lol just joshin' ya.

Nice pics. Reminds me of Houston.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:54 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,572,805 times
office markets are very volatile, but right now times are good in SF.

Downtown San Francisco, Summer 2015

As of Q2 2015, Downtown San Francisco has the lowest office vacancy rate in the nation, 6.7%, as well as the lowest availability of retail space in the nation, 5.4%.
U.S. Commercial Sectors Enjoy Continued Momentum in Q2 - WORLD PROPERTY JOURNAL Global News Center

88% of office space currently under construction in Downtown San Francisco is already preleased according to Colliers.
Q2 2015 Office Market Report | San Francisco | Colliers International

Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,182,294 times
Since this thread has been hijacked and turned into a real estate ****ing contest, here's some more information for discussion on, ya know, prestige. Perhaps we should start talking about these cities in terms of doctors, firefighters and military officers per capita?

Most prestigious jobs in America: The short list has barely changed in 37 years.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:22 AM

Out of the cities in this discussion, Chicago is ranked highest as having the best doctors, the most prestigious profession in the public's mind. Chicago's been dead in this thread--score one for the Windy City here.

10 Cities With The Highest-Rated Doctors - Business Insider

Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 AM

D.C. and the New York Metro come out on top over Chicago, L.A. and SF with police officers and fire fighters per capita, two professions ranked highly in the public's eyes.

10 Cities With the Most Police, Firefighters Per Capita - FindLaw Blotter

On the other hand, San Francisco is rated as the highest paying metro for firefighters in the country, and viewed as the best city for them overall out of the 5 cities in this discussion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XkSp0Vr6zXMdSQ

Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,567,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Why don't you start a topic about something that actually matters then? If anything, the only one flaunting their ego here is you. This is "clearly" beneath you.

Lol at the dork comment. So you actually take the time to register your email address on a website specifically geared for city/state discussions, out of all the places on the web, then proceed to find one of the most niche forums on that website just to post, but you're not a dork? Okaay
But he's not wrong.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,645,830 times
Not sure how it translates to doctors, but SF has #2 and #4 ranked med schools in the US for research (Stanford and UCSF). SF and Boston are the biotech hubs of the US and perhaps the world. SF is seen only as tech, but it is also a biotech hub, and not just any, but right up with Boston as a leader in that area, as well.

I looked at the rankings earlier, and UCLA was #13 and USC was #31. Johns Hopkins in Baltimore was #3 and Chicago was top 10 and Northwestern was top 20, putting Chicago ahead of LA in this particular area.

Anyway, point being, I'm not sure how LA is going to come out on top even when putting it in the realm of most prestigious jobs according to one poll being doctors and firefighters.

The study with highest rated doctors, linked above, had LA behind both SF and Chicago, and Portland was #1 with the highest rated OBGYNs and LA was #10 with highest rated dentists. Not sure there can possibly be much weight behind that study. In the other linked study, DC had the most police + firefighters per capita, all because of the police side. I'm sure there's a lot more to that story that a simple poll doesn't show. DC is the nation's capital and historically has had a serious high crime problem. Many other cities on that list have serious high crime problems.

We could go on. I'll reaffirm my position that from more stereotypical and typical viewpoints on prestige, of this list, certainly DC and SF are it. IF old money has anything to do with prestige, then LA comes last on this list. As a component relative to LA's size, old money society (which tends to fund lots of the classical cultural outlets like opera and ballet) is a relatively tiny portion of LA. Much larger and more important in DC, SF, and Chicago.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:53 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,645,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
[/b]Translation: SF and NYC are way too competitive so we settled for Los Angeles.

Top World Cities By Commercial Real Estate Transactions, Q2 2014-Q2 2015
1 London $39 Billion
2 Manhattan $28 Billion
3 San Francisco $21 Billion
4 Tokyo $18 Billion

https://www.property-magazine.eu/glo...014-33718.html
China's Greenland Holdings, one of the world's biggest developers, is eyeing Oakland and San Francisco for mega projects - San Francisco Business Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City