Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 04:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,441,284 times

Advertisements

Maybe those college educated folk in sf are violent crimnals . Who knows.

Hood rats lol

Poor people equal hood rsts.

Unreal.

Wow

Old 11-09-2015, 05:20 PM

539 posts, read 524,443 times
Yo, there are no facts to back up which is more prestigious...only opinions. In this thread, the polls say La>SF

Old 11-09-2015, 07:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,765,533 times
Here's a lengthy but interesting article showing LA's great "decline".

There’s Something Going On In L.A. | TechCrunch

Can we go back to talking about the Kardashians now?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 AM

451 posts, read 466,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's true. But being in the Midwest generally hurts a city's prestige on C-D whereas being in, say, New England almost certainly helps it. We don't have to go through many threads to see that the coastal cities usually win in matchups on C-D followed by the Midwestern cities with southern cities being dead last (except NOLA).
That depends on whom you talk to. I'm fascinated with the Midwest and Southwest, niche-y towns, cities and beautiful countryside. The big cities on the coasts are overpriced, over-diversified, and are becoming laughably generic. The east coast is my flyover country when I'm on my way to Europe.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:16 AM

366 posts, read 405,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
That depends on whom you talk to. I'm fascinated with the Midwest and Southwest, niche-y towns, cities and beautiful countryside. The big cities on the coasts are overpriced, over-diversified, and are becoming laughably generic. The east coast is my flyover country when I'm on my way to Europe.
No not really, you would be among the minority that feels that way.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:28 AM

451 posts, read 466,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
No not really, you would be among the minority that feels that way.
Or, possibly a silent majority that is overlooked by the MSM. Either way, I could not care less.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:33 AM

366 posts, read 405,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
Or, possibly a silent majority that is overlooked by the MSM. Either way, I could not care less.
The only way you are the majority (and this is in real life) is if your preference is suburbia, in which case things like generic is pretty ironic as an argument, not to say it's not ironic either ways being from the Midwest and Southwest...

Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
The Bay Area is too multinodal for San Francisco to go toe to toe with LA. The Bay Area packs quite a punch, but its not solely due to San Francisco alone.
And Los Angeles alone is really underwhelming considering it's size.

In fact, let's start at the downtowns. Do you think downtown SF is unable to go toe-to-toe with downtown LA? Downtown SF is a sophisticated, worldly destination.

Heck even high end shopping, without Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills, Id venture to say that San Francisco actually BEATS LA.

So really, if SF is to be docked points for being multinodal than LA is actually 'worse' in that regard.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:43 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And Los Angeles alone is really underwhelming considering it's size.

In fact, let's start at the downtowns. Do you think downtown SF is unable to go toe-to-toe with downtown LA? Downtown SF is a sophisticated, worldly destination.

Heck even high end shopping, without Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills, Id venture to say that San Francisco actually BEATS LA.

So really, if SF is to be docked points for being multinodal than LA is actually 'worse' in that regard.
Yea, it doesn't make sense to compare SF alone directly to Los Angeles alone directly because the legal boundaries of SF are tiny compared to those of Los Angeles. It makes a lot of sense to think of them as regions, and in doing so, it's pretty evident that both regions are multi-nodal.

Also, how is this not going to DC. I'm kind of surprised by what people's ideas of prestige are here.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:48 PM

574 posts, read 690,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it doesn't make sense to compare SF alone directly to Los Angeles alone directly because the legal boundaries of SF are tiny compared to those of Los Angeles. It makes a lot of sense to think of them as regions, and in doing so, it's pretty evident that both regions are multi-nodal.

Also, how is this not going to DC. I'm kind of surprised by what people's ideas of prestige are here.
Sure, both areas are multi-nodal, but San Francisco and Silicon Valley share power in a way that LA does not. LA is the undisputed king/center of its region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City