Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,141 posts, read 7,612,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post

Anyway.

Moving back to the subject at hand..the most prestigious cities. Washington feels very downmarket --- look at the hopeless void of luxury retail and dining and the lack of luxury home sales. Even Denver has more upscale shopping lol.

No wonder it's losing this poll by a massive landslide.
Nothing in any sentence you just stated here is even close to true, i think we're done here.

You should probably take a visit to your nations capital first before making blanket false statements about retail etc.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 PM

36,674 posts, read 67,656,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Who knew you would get so pissy by mentioning San Francisco?

Just because you have an MBA from UC Berkely doesn't mean you have to be so one-sided.

After all, college is meant not only to educate but to also open the minds of students.
What? I was actually kidding.

No need to be serious, weekend is coming.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 PM

41 posts, read 42,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Nothing in any sentence you just stated here is even close to true, i think we're done here.

You should probably take a visit to your nations capital first before making blanket false statements about retail etc.

I don't have to bother myself with this, as researcher track this for a living. Just know that Washington "luxury retail" is on the same level as San Antonio. LOL.

http://www.us.jll.com/united-states/...-in-new-report

Pathetic.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I don't have to bother myself with this, as researcher track this for a living. Just know that Washington "luxury retail" is on the same level as San Antonio. LOL.

JLL Identifies the Top U.S. Markets for Luxury Retailers in New Report

Pathetic.
Right because downtown San Antonio you can find retailers Hermes right across from LV, right across from Ferragamo, right next to Dior or Burberry or Zadig & Voltaire just like in DC right? In fact Downtown LA doesn't have that kind of shopping what am I asking you for lol!

Last edited by the resident09; 08-27-2015 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,647,320 times
Quote:
Right because downtown San Antonio you can find retailers Hermes right across from LV, right across from Ferragamo, right next to Dior or Burberry just like in DC right? In fact Downtown LA doesn't have that kind of shopping what am I asking you for lol!
Why would Downtown LA have Dior and Burberry? The old traditional luxury apparel brands are in shopping districts like Beverly Hills. Downtown LA is for the LA-based edgy avant garde designers like Rodarte and Skingraft, and for brands from other countries looking to launch an outpost in the US. Australia's BNKR is about to open their first permanent stateside store here. Sweden's Acne Studios opened their 2nd US location in DTLA after launching their first in SoHo. Australia's BlackMilk has their only US outpost is here. France's A.P.C. is about to open a shop at 9th and Broadway. And so on.

DC won't ever really get that kind of stuff. Its a luxury brand city but it sure as hell isn't a fashion city. The only US the only cities actually making fashion are New York, Los Angeles, and Miami, in that order. The rest of the cities are just following trends and buying whatever mass market luxury brands are being peddled to them.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 08-27-2015 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,455,577 times
Quote:

Pathetic.
No it's not, and it doesn't take a silly graph to prove that.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Why would Downtown LA have Dior and Burberry? The old traditional luxury apparel brands are in shopping districts like Beverly Hills. Downtown LA is for the LA-based edgy avant garde designers like Rodarte and Skingraft, and for brands from other countries looking to launch an outpost in the US. Australia's BNKR is about to open their first permanent stateside store here. Sweden's Acne Studios opened their 2nd US location in DTLA after launching their first in SoHo. Australia's BlackMilk has their only US outpost is here. France's A.P.C. is about to open a shop at 9th and Broadway. And so on.

DC won't ever really get that kind of stuff. Its a luxury brand city but it sure as hell isn't a fashion city. The only US the only cities actually making fashion are New York, Los Angeles, and Miami, in that order. The rest of the cities are just following trends and buying whatever mass market luxury brands are being peddled to them.
I don't whole hearted disagree with you at all. I actually stated pages ago clearly LA in terms of fashion (prestige) wins obviously but I do not feel in any way that it's more "prestigious" as a city than a DC, SF, or Boston. Full of rich people yes, but that to me does not make the whole city "prestigious". Education level and amenities, museums etc all play a factor here.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:49 AM

32,154 posts, read 34,833,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

What does this have to do with prestige?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,461,084 times
Quote:
I don't whole hearted disagree with you at all. I actually stated pages ago clearly LA in terms of fashion (prestige) wins obviously but I do not feel in any way that it's more "prestigious" as a city than a DC, SF, or Boston. Full of rich people yes, but that to me does not make the whole city "prestigious". Education level and amenities, museums etc all play a factor here.
Yeah, I totally get that too. But I would say that L.A. is more prestigious for art (no, just cool the knee-jerk Kardashians response) than any other city besides NY.

The subjectivity of "prestige" is really the interesting part of the conversation. The OP created another thread about infuriating metrics for comparison and this was actually one of them for me, that people use popular or accepted perceptions as conclusions about cities: "Nobody automatically thinks X is great in City X, therefore..."

Now, a lot of people don't think art or that entire topic of Creative Class is relevant to prestige. I tend to agree the maddening opacity of the fine art world can be stodgy itself and full of puffery--an infection of the NY art world model, actually. How less stodgy and full of puffery than the current metrics under discussion though? Honestly, I feel in turn that how some of the accepted measures of "prestige" in this thread is discussed is kinda vulgar and even irrelevant, for me. Look how YOOOGE, as Donald Trump would say.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:44 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,647,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Yeah, I totally get that too. But I would say that L.A. is more prestigious for art (no, just cool the knee-jerk Kardashians response) than any other city besides NY.
Agreed. LA Weekly did a surprisingly thorough piece on the topic a of LA's newfound status as an art gallery mecca a few months back:

L.A.'s Expanding Gallery Scene Has No Center and No Rules

The art scene here is still nowhere near New York's and probably never will be. But the scene here is definitely having its moment right now and its miles beyond what you'll find in the other US cities outside of NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City