Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 AM

36,682 posts, read 67,667,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Why would Downtown LA have Dior and Burberry? The old traditional luxury apparel brands are in shopping districts like Beverly Hills. Downtown LA is for the LA-based edgy avant garde designers like Rodarte and Skingraft, and for brands from other countries looking to launch an outpost in the US. Australia's BNKR is about to open their first permanent stateside store here. Sweden's Acne Studios opened their 2nd US location in DTLA after launching their first in SoHo. Australia's BlackMilk has their only US outpost is here. France's A.P.C. is about to open a shop at 9th and Broadway. And so on.
Rodarte is rather established these days.

Quote:
DC won't ever really get that kind of stuff. Its a luxury brand city but it sure as hell isn't a fashion city. The only US the only cities actually making fashion are New York, Los Angeles, and Miami, in that order. The rest of the cities are just following trends and buying whatever mass market luxury brands are being peddled to them.
What do you mean "making fashion?" Miami is not 3rd by the way as far as fashion designers by a long shot, by sheer number its SF, by concentration, apparently its Columbus( Im guessing all the Limited brands)

The World's Leading Cities for Fashion - CityLab

Furthermore, being a grown up, I prefer the classic American style of designers like Ralph Lauren. Understated yet very elegant.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:00 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,461,827 times
Quote:
Agreed. LA Weekly did a surprisingly thorough piece on the topic a of LA's newfound status as an art gallery mecca a few months back:

L.A.'s Expanding Gallery Scene Has No Center and No Rules

The art scene here is still nowhere near New York's and probably never will be. But the scene here is definitely having its moment right now and its miles beyond what you'll find in the other US cities outside of NY.
The whole issue locally is whether it wants to be like a NY scene at all in the first place!

But anyway, it's not a newly minted legacy. L.A.'s been an important art capital for a very, very long time. Its current burgeoning is actually L.A.'s response to financial booms in other cities but, again the interesting discussion, what relative value does that hold thinking more broadly on the topic?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,647,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What do you mean "making fashion?" Miami is not 3rd by the way as far as fashion designers by a long shot, by sheer number its SF, by concentration, apparently its Columbus( Im guessing all the Limited brands)

The World's Leading Cities for Fashion - CityLab
That list is from 2012. Here's 2014's list. 2015's will be released next month. LA is now #4, SF is #50, and Columbus is not on the list. Would love to see where you're getting that SF has the third most fashion designers in the country though.

Quote:
Furthermore, being a grown up, I prefer the classic American style of designers like Ralph Lauren.
Do you ever go back and reread what you write?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:31 AM

32,176 posts, read 34,842,822 times
Quote:
Furthermore, being a grown up, I prefer the classic American style of designers like Ralph Lauren. Understated yet very elegant.
You mean the Ralph Lif****z from the Bronx clothing line?

I prefer the Goodwill look.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/fwl-assets/i...a-portrait.jpg

Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
That list is from 2012. Here's 2014's list. 2015's will be released next month. LA is now #4, SF is #50, and Columbus is not on the list. Would love to see where you're getting that SF has the third most fashion designers in the country though.
Youre not looking at the right ranking. Scroll to the bottom of the link I posted. Its a data-based ranking of fashion designers using govt data. SF is indeed 3rd.

Quote:
Do you ever go back and reread what you write?
Its just that you made this statement that implies some sort of inferiority of Americans in other cities when it comes to being fashionable and I found that laughable.

In fact, generally speaking, upper class suburbanites across the US are whom I consider the largest well dressed and best kept group in the world.

Ever been to Paris? London? Its mostly edgy streetwear which is okay but to be honest I find 40 year olds dressing like 20 year olds to be very tacky.

And I never understand why developing world cities rank so high in those ranking, also quite tacky to inappropriately make it seem that those cities are better dressed overall than a Seattle or Minneapolis. As if.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean the Ralph Lif****z from the Bronx clothing line?

I prefer the Goodwill look.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/fwl-assets/i...a-portrait.jpg
Well, she's gorgeous but the clothes, meh.

But really tho, what shes wearing is far more what regular people in supposed fashion capitals wear. Not too different ftom everywhere else.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
In fact, generally speaking, upper class suburbanites across the US are whom I consider the largest well dressed and best kept group in the world.
I guess that's your opinion. And you know what they say about those.

Americans, as a whole, are not particularly well-dressed. We are more obsessive over white and straight teeth than we are over clothes.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Well, she's gorgeous but the clothes, meh.

But really tho, what shes wearing is far more what regular people in supposed fashion capitals wear. Not too different ftom everywhere else.
Well, it's supposed to be a chill look. Sure, there are people who walk around wearing Burberry, Prada, etc., but I get the sense that label-wh**ing is sort of frowned upon. Most of the well-dressed people you see around town (NYC, that is) probably didn't spend much on any one particular outfit.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess that's your opinion. And you know what they say about those.
True, but I dont think the average Parisian is better dressed or better kept than the average person in Bethesda or Bellevue. Not at all. Americans with money dress who pay attention to apparel tend to dress more confidently an have a swagger about them imo.

Quote:
We are more obsessive over white and straight teeth than we are over clothes.
That too.

Quote:
Americans, as a whole, are not particularly well-dressed.
Honestly, I found most people in France, Spain and Italy to be nowhere near as fashionable as they are popularly perceived.

By that I mean, in the cities, its mainly the hipster look, otherwise people wear regular clothes. In this sense, its not too different from urban environments here.

I think the world is too connected now for there to be as much of a regional difference as some fashion snobs would like to believe.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
True, but I dont think the average Parisian is better dressed or better kept than the average person in Bethesda or Bellevue. Not at all. Americans with money dress who pay attention to apparel tend to dress more confidently an have a swagger about them imo.
I can't speak for Bellevue. I can speak for Bethesda, however, and say that the "average" Parisian is better dressed than the average person in Bethesda. Having money doesn't necessarily make you stylish or even image-conscious. In Paris, on the other hand, fashion takes on a more religious type quality. They're not even comparable.

I think there's a big difference between New York and London too. On average, men are spiffier. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
By that I mean, in the cities, its mainly the hipster look, otherwise people wear regular clothes. In this sense, its not too different from urban environments here.
It's not mainly the hipster look. You may see more of that if you go to where younger people are (i.e., Châtelet) but that's a subset of the population.

Quote:
I think the world is too connected now for there to be as much of a regional difference as some fashion snobs would like to believe.
I don't think it's so much a difference in fashion (as in the kinds of clothes) as it is general fashion-consciousness. Fashion is to Parisians (and some Italians) what soccer is to Brazilians. They simply put more effort into it. It's a different attitude towards image/fashion, a different attitude towards sarcasm, and a different attitude towards sex, imo. In the States, it seems we care more about orthodontics (this is a big thing...don't really meet many people under 35 with crooked, gap-filled teeth) than anywhere else I've ever lived.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-28-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City