Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your ranking starting with the most favorite?
Portland>Denver>Minneapolis 26 18.31%
Portland>Minneapolis>Denver 24 16.90%
Denver>Portland>Minneapolis 29 20.42%
Denver>Minneapolis>Portland 14 9.86%
Minneapolis>Portland>Denver 18 12.68%
Minneapolis>Denver>Portland 31 21.83%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:04 PM

8,614 posts, read 14,987,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Portland is ranked as the 4th best drinking city in the country. Denver and Minneapolis didn't even make the list.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...merica?share=c
Ya got that goin' for ya...which is nice. If I had to live in the Pacific Northwest seasonal affective disorder would probably drive me to drink, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,079,322 times
That list is crazy! Anyone in the beer scene knows Denver is a top 5 beer city and Colorado is a top 3 state in the US! Biggest beer fest in the Nation is in Denver! Pure bunk list. This is not homerism either. Hell, the single best bar in the US (And top 50 on Earth) is in Denver as well!!!!

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles...t-50-best-bars
http://denver.eater.com/2015/7/19/90...pirited-awards

Old 09-06-2015, 11:26 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,459,056 times
Honestly I'd say the three best regions for beer in the US are the Front Range, the Upper Midwest, and the Pacific Northwest, with Denver, Minneapolis, and Portland at the forefront.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM

213 posts, read 280,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
That list is crazy! Anyone in the beer scene knows Denver is a top 5 beer city and Colorado is a top 3 state in the US! Biggest beer fest in the Nation is in Denver! Pure bunk list. This is not homerism either. Hell, the single best bar in the US (And top 50 on Earth) is in Denver as well!!!!

Denver bar Williams & Graham makes coveted list of 50 best bars in the world - The Denver Post
Williams & Graham Named Best Bar in America at the Spirited Awards - Eater Denver
Seattle has the 6th best bar in the world according to the prestigious Drinks International list. It so has an excellent beer scene and a ton of great places to go, but somehow it was also left off of the Thrillist list. So I agree it's not a perfect list.

Canon Takes #6 Among World's Best Bars - Eater Seattle

Old 09-06-2015, 11:51 AM

213 posts, read 280,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Honestly I'd say the three best regions for beer in the US are the Front Range, the Upper Midwest, and the Pacific Northwest, with Denver, Minneapolis, and Portland at the forefront.
Sorry, but Minneapolis isn't quite as high on that list as Portland or Denver (or Seattle or San Diego for that matter).

Old 09-06-2015, 06:54 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,116,957 times
Never been to Minneapolis, so I am not going to vote or comment on it.

Between Denver and Portland, I prefer Portland. It is hipper and it has a very eccentric vibe to it. The entire culture and vibe in Portland is organic. It feels forced in Denver. Normally there aren't huge temperature fluctuations and it is much greener in Portland.

In terms of hiking, the gorge, Forest Park, and a variety of other city parks provide a variety of really good hiking and great scenery within 30-40 minutes of the city. In terms of mountains, there are a few epic ones within a few hours drive that are tougher and more technical than pretty much everything in Colorado. The ocean is a couple of hours away which is a huge plus. Also, you aren't that far from Seattle or Vancouver, BC.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:11 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,687,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post

Denver bar Williams & Graham makes coveted list of 50 best bars in the world - The Denver Post
Williams & Graham Named Best Bar in America at the Spirited Awards - Eater Denver
While I agree that Denver is a good beer city, his list is just as subjective and ridiculous as yours. Did you not see the contradiction in your links? Your second link has the Denver bar at "best bar in America," while your first has it at 50th in the world, behind 15 other American bars...

These lists are really just opinions/for fun/designed to generate clicks, not some scientific end all be all evidence like so many on here true to use them as...

Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,459,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Sorry, but Minneapolis isn't quite as high on that list as Portland or Denver (or Seattle or San Diego for that matter).
Well that's ridiculous and not true, but ok I guess if you say so that's the end of that.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:54 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,734,365 times
I think the MSP People took my comments the wrong way. I wasn't attempting to say that Minneapolis doesn't have great parks or scenery. I'm just saying that places on the scale of Multnomah Falls, Mount Hood, Rocky Mountain National Park and Red Rocks Park, as far as the topography of them. That is difficult to deny, and some people do prefer that. For me personally though, I'm certain that Minny's rolling hills, greenery and lakes would keep me perfectly happy, but still some people would prefer the drastic geology around Denver or Portland. That is like "wonders of the world" level. But, that being said, Minny's parks might be better than those for everyday use.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:05 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,110,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I think the MSP People took my comments the wrong way. I wasn't attempting to say that Minneapolis doesn't have great parks or scenery. I'm just saying that places on the scale of Multnomah Falls, Mount Hood, Rocky Mountain National Park and Red Rocks Park, as far as the topography of them. That is difficult to deny, and some people do prefer that. For me personally though, I'm certain that Minny's rolling hills, greenery and lakes would keep me perfectly happy, but still some people would prefer the drastic geology around Denver or Portland. That is like "wonders of the world" level. But, that being said, Minny's parks might be better than those for everyday use.
I get what you're saying, it's just that you're casting a very wide net. RMNP is almost two hours from Denver for example, not exactly a city park.
Same goes for Mt Hood. In terms of inner city park systems, Minneapolis is very tough to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City