Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the West
El Paso 0 0%
Tucson 1 0.65%
Tulsa 0 0%
Phoenix 38 24.84%
Las Vegas 15 9.80%
Oklahoma City 1 0.65%
Salt Lake City 1 0.65%
Denver 47 30.72%
Portland 7 4.58%
Sacramento 7 4.58%
Billings Montana 1 0.65%
Boise 3 1.96%
Albuquerque 2 1.31%
A Place Not Listed 0 0%
All these Cities Absolutely Suck 4 2.61%
San Diego 24 15.69%
Aspen Colorado 2 1.31%
Colorado Springs 0 0%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Unfortunately Phoenix doesn't have an Eiffel Tower, a Big Ben, or an Astro Dome to bolster its international image.
I think the Saguaro Cactus does that instead. It's the only place in the world (Sonoran Desert) where these grow naturally and are an icon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,314,660 times
I like the San Diego airport--it's practically right next to downtown and it's sort of small with just one terminal that it never takes long to get to your gate. Big airports might be great for cities in the center of North America in terms of economy, but as a visitor they're often just places I have to transfer from flight to flight.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,910,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I like the San Diego airport--it's practically right next to downtown and it's sort of small with just one terminal that it never takes long to get to your gate. Big airports might be great for cities in the center of North America in terms of economy, but as a visitor they're often just places I have to transfer from flight to flight.
I love that aspect about San Diego. It actually has two terminals, Terminal Two West is the newer, more architecturally striking (well, there is nothing architecturally striking about Terminal One) of the two but getting in and out of the airport and off to the city or freeways is a piece of cake! We just came back from Boston and you couldn't possibly design a more screwed up airport and surrounding access if you tried.

I could walk to the airport in probably 45 minutes from my house! As it is it is a mere 10 minute drive, about $9 by Uber. When we pick up folks we never go to meet them early, they call when they land and we are down at the sidewalk right around the same time they get to it (or we wait until they pick up checked bags to depart). We are so close that it is nothing for neighbors to offer a ride.

Flying direct to London is a snap or off to Tokyo (haven't done that yet) and most any other destination is an easy flight to find. Beautiful airports can be a pretty cool to be in if you have to be there, but I always try to get out of most of the airports I am at as quickly as possible so they don't make or break a city for me compared to other, more important aspects.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:49 PM

273 posts, read 350,364 times
Phoenix by a long shot, with Denver and San Diego a distant two and three, in that order.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,982,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
No, sd is not on par with DIA for where you can fly! Not even close. Your good at digging up stuff it appears. Dig up how many routes each offers and post it! Not even close!

As for the quality list. Hmm. I have read that list before. Not sure what criteria they use. But I have flown into Cincinnati and SFO before. In no way shape or form are they nicer or offer more than DIA. Not really sure how they come up with those ratings. But yes, I have read that the Cincy airport at least shows up on it quite often. Not sure why though!
Denver/Boulder versus San Diego/Tijuana versus Portland/Salem versus Phoenix

2014 United States-Canada Traffic Summary (Passenger)
1. Denver International Airport: 53,472,514 (5th in United States-Canada)
2. Phoenix Skyharbor International Airport: 42,134,662 (10th in United States-Canada)
3. San Diego International Airport: 18,758,751 (30th in United States-Canada)
4. Portland International Airport: 15,916,512 (32nd in United States-Canada)
5. Tijuana International Airport: 4,387,800 (5th in Mexico)

International Airports:

1. San Diego/Tijuana: 2 Airports
- San Diego International
- Tijuana International

2. Phoenix: 2 Airports
- Phoenix Skyharbor International
- Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport

3. Denver: 1 Airport
- Denver International

4. Portland: 1 Airport
- Portland International

Foreign Flag Carriers, 2015:
- Denver: 6
- San Diego: 5* (9*)
- Phoenix: 4
- Portland: 4

* Tijuana International gives San Diego an additional 4 non-United States based flag carriers, making it a total of 9 non-United States based foreign airliners, San Diego International already has 5 on its own (comparable to Denver). That is comparable to some of the major 5 million (+) metropolitan areas in the United States such as Atlanta (9), Detroit-Windsor (9), and Philadelphia (5). Ahead of other similar size range competitors like Tampa Bay Area (8) and Minneapolis/Saint Paul (4).

Serviced Continents, 2015:
- San Diego: 3 (Europe, Asia, North America)
- Denver: 3 (Europe, Asia, North America)
- Phoenix: 2 (Europe, North America)
- Portland: 2 (Europe, North America)

Foreign Service Destinations, 2015 (Non-United States destinations):

- San Diego/Tijuana: 35 Foreign Destinations
Toronto (SAN), San José del Cabo (SAN/TIJ), Puerto Vallarta (SAN/TIJ), London (SAN), Tokyo (SAN), Guadalajara (SAN/TIJ), Mexico City (SAN/TIJ), Calgary (SAN), Hermosillo (TIJ), La Paz (TIJ), Loreto (TIJ), Los Mochis (TIJ), Shanghai (TIJ), Ciudad Juárez (TIJ), Durango (TIJ), León/El Bajío (TIJ), Mazatlán (TIJ), Aguascalientes (TIJ), Culiacán (TIJ), Acapulco (TIJ), Cancún (TIJ), Chihuahua (TIJ), Ciudad Obregón (TIJ), Colima (TIJ), Monterrey (TIJ), Morelia (TIJ), Oaxaca (TIJ), Puebla (TIJ), Queretaro (TIJ), San Luis Potosí (TIJ), Tepic (TIJ), Torreón/Gómez Palacio (TIJ), Uruapan (TIJ), Veracruz (TIJ), Zacatecas (TIJ).

- Phoenix: 20 Foreign Destinations
Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, London, Cancún, Edmonton, Guadalajara, Mazatlán, Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, San José del Cabo, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo, San José de Costa Rica, Hermosillo, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Victoria, Winnipeg.

- Denver/Boulder: 18 Foreign Destinations
Guadalajara, Mexico City, Toronto, London, Cancún, Puerto Vallarta, San José del Cabo, Reykjavík, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Vancouver, Calgary, Liberia, Panama City, San José de Costa Rica, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Chihuahua.

- Portland/Salem: 8 Foreign Destinations
Amsterdam, Calgary, Vancouver, Frankfurt, Puerto Vallarta, San Jose del Cabo, Reykjavik, Guadalajara.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-04-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,450,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
What if the Whole West Coast fell off into the Ocean or the Chinese were feeling a little froggy and decided to Leap and make a land grab. Or if the Space Needle Fell or Mt Rainer blew it's top. What would than take over as the Premier Most Influential city in the West

Based on

-American and International Influence
-Fame and Name Recognition
-Rising Economic Prosperity

The Nominees Are

El Paso
Tucson
Tulsa
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Oklahoma City
Salt Like City
Denver
Portland
Sacramento
Billings Montana
Boise
Albuquerque
San Diego
Aspen Colorado
Colorado Springs
Actually, given the financial segment, the Delta hub, the high tech segment, and international presence of the LDS Church, if the three west coast states weren't there Salt Lake City would play a very important role, along with Phoenix, IMO. There is so much most don't know about UT and how companies like Huntsman Corp., the financial sector and linguistics jobs in Utah already play more of a roll than most know. Besides, Former Gov. Jon Huntsman, JR. served as ambassador to China.

There is no other church in the U.S. and possibly world that does constant Humanitarian work around the Americas and Asia, and other countries most churches won't attempt to help. Before you bash the LDS Church, know your numbers about vaccinations, infant mortality, health screenings, water systems and more done in third world countries. Phoenix will be important for different reasons. Possibly, Colorado Springs becomes more important than Denver.

It all depends on what the US would need in the most powerful cities, given what happened to the west coast. Remember, Independence Day with Will Smith dragging the Alien? It was shot in UT quite close to Dugway.

MSR

Old 09-04-2015, 09:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,074,625 times
"Possibly, Colorado Springs becomes more important than Denver. "

In what possible way?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,099,188 times
I voted Phoenix based on its GDP and metro population.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 PM

346 posts, read 648,030 times
I'd say Denver, as it has many federal agencies and institutions and is a major hub for the west. At one point, before rapid air travel, Denver had an unofficial title of "second capital," as many agencies and institutions had headquarters there to administer the western half of the U.S - especially during the New Deal and World War II.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...%20%22&f=false

Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Denver has a bigger GDP than phoenix with a million less people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City