Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the West
El Paso 0 0%
Tucson 1 0.65%
Tulsa 0 0%
Phoenix 38 24.84%
Las Vegas 15 9.80%
Oklahoma City 1 0.65%
Salt Lake City 1 0.65%
Denver 47 30.72%
Portland 7 4.58%
Sacramento 7 4.58%
Billings Montana 1 0.65%
Boise 3 1.96%
Albuquerque 2 1.31%
A Place Not Listed 0 0%
All these Cities Absolutely Suck 4 2.61%
San Diego 24 15.69%
Aspen Colorado 2 1.31%
Colorado Springs 0 0%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,632,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
From a network and cable tv viewpoint, it's probably Portland. Currently, more scripted tv shows are either set ans/or filmed in Portland than any of the other cities.
Do you have a number for how many scripted shows are either set or filmed in Portland?

I ask because I could only find two that are set/filmed in Portland currently. They are Portlandia (of course) and Grimm. There are two more shows which are set in fictional places elsewhere in Oregon but not filmed in the state. They are Bates Motel and Gravity Falls.

Albuquerque has three shows that are currently set/filmed in the city. They are Better Call Saul, The Night Shift (set in San Antonio) and Dig (set in the Mideast).

In addition to these are The Messengers, which was filmed in the city and aired this year but was cancelled in May and just finished airing its episodes in July. Then there is Hieroglyph which was filmed in the city but was pulled by Fox last summer before it was scheduled to air early this year.

There are also the shows set/filmed elsewhere in New Mexico that are currently airing. Manhattan is set in Los Alamos and filmed in Santa Fe. Also filmed in Santa Fe but set outside New Mexico is Longmire which will move to Netflix from A&E and begin airing new episodes there in September.

Santa Fe is part of Albuquerque's CSA, so it could be said that those two additional shows are local productions for Albuquerque as well.

Albuquerque and New Mexico have specifically been trying to attract TV shows to film here in the hopes of achieving sustained and longer-term impacts over one-off movie productions. One incentive pushed is the additional aid available for filming pilot episodes here, in the hope of helping to land and make for a successful pick up of a show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:56 PM

616 posts, read 646,317 times
This thread might be a bit silly sense LA and San Francisco dominate, then you have Seattle on a 2nd tier with all the rest being mostly regional centers(3rd tier). In terms of bringing in foreign money -Exports- then Portland is by far the most important of the 3rd tier, aprox $20 bil a year.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,891,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Blah! Denver has hosted the Pope, the G8, DNC and RNC, Obama at his silly little Mile High show (80,000 +), millions of international skier visits, Greatest concert venue on Earth (Red Rocks). ALL TV stations in the US are uplinked through Denver in one form or another. One of only a handful of cities with a Patent Office. An airport with far more international reach/flights/passengers. 2nd highest amount of Government workers in the US. The Second largest aerospace industry as well as Intelligence jobs in the Country. Denver is a step above the others for these reasons and many more that I have not listed. More beer is brewed within 60 miles of Denver than any place on Earth! (Tons of Micros, as well as Coors and AB and NB).
I agree with your points, but Denver has never hosted the RNC. It has hosted the DNC twice, 1908 and 2008.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:44 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,986,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Isn't this thread completely different though? Because SF, LA & SEA disappearing from earth is the basis of this thread. Denver & PHX are correct choices for your thread, but in a thread where SF & LA suddenly don't exist anymore... I would imagine some CA cities (SD & Sac) would be jumping the line quite a bit just based on location and the state that they are in.
On a personal level, I didn't vote in either this thread or my own thread that asked a similar sort of question but would have gone with San Diego either way in both threads.

Here's why:
- More global than the rest (its diversity says so, its foreign born says so, its location says so, its global air route network says so)
- Bio-Technology
- Tech Industry and a massive Venture Capital portfolio
- Massive concentrations of government institutions -- particularly military and defense
- University of California at San Diego is better than any school in the other 3 cities put together (Denver, Phoenix, and Portland)

Not to mention, if you view San Diego and Tijuana as one market, and you should since Downtown Tijuana and the main arterial (Avienda Revolucion) are only 1 mile from San Diego proper and 19 miles from Downtown San Diego, giving the area a combined population that exceeds 5 million people (oh and San Diego Trolley has a stop at the San Ysidro Pass). A number the others cannot match. It also has the largest economy of the 4 too when Tijuana is factored into it.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,114,456 times
Hell Id even say USD is better than any school from those cities. Boulder is like only ~25 miles from Denver though but they aren't in the same metro but are in the same CSA. Lewis & Clark is a pretty decent lib art school in Portland.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:57 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,915,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
On a personal level, I didn't vote in either this thread or my own thread that asked a similar sort of question but would have gone with San Diego either way in both threads.

Here's why:
- More global than the rest (its diversity says so, its foreign born says so, its location says so, its global air route network says so)
- Bio-Technology
- Tech Industry and a massive Venture Capital portfolio
- Massive concentrations of government institutions -- particularly military and defense
- University of California at San Diego is better than any school in the other 3 cities put together (Denver, Phoenix, and Portland)

Not to mention, if you view San Diego and Tijuana as one market, and you should since Downtown Tijuana and the main arterial (Avienda Revolucion) are only 1 mile from San Diego proper and 19 miles from Downtown San Diego, giving the area a combined population that exceeds 5 million people (oh and San Diego Trolley has a stop at the San Ysidro Pass). A number the others cannot match. It also has the largest economy of the 4 too when Tijuana is factored into it.
And we've got two, sometime three Nimitz-class aircraft carriers with the whole complement of weaponry and aircraft, 1000s of Marines with backup from the Navy SEALs to boot so you really don't want to mess with us.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:22 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,833,326 times
I think Phoenix and Denver are the two, so I agree with the poll thus far. Not sure about Denver but from my anecdotal experience Phoenix does have a global recognition even in third world countries. Not sure if Phoenix has an "influence" though so to speak. Phoenix's economy doesn't have any specialization or niches and I think that's what Phoenix needs to really bring up the influence. I think Phoenix could be more influential in terms of economics, very easily.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,075,112 times
"its global air route network says so)'

What what what????? If you mean airport routes, than SD blows!!!!!!! Denver is FAR SUPERIOR to any other city mentioned for this stat!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:47 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
One thing neither Phoenix or Denver have are seaports, which is pretty important for trade.

Phoenix doesn't really have an as educated population as SD or Denver either.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,477,319 times
In my opinion It's for sure phoenix,
Phoenix is ranked as the third most cost-effective in large tech talent markets, 14th in the largest tech talent labor pool and sixth in terms of growth. As of 2012, the Phoenix MSA had a Gross Domestic Product was over 200 billion whereas Denver's was between 160-175 billion. The Job market is also clearly growing seeing as 5 fortune 500 companies are now located in Phoenix(which never used to be the case).
Phoenix is also home to: the headquarters of U-HAUL International; Best Western; and Apollo Group, parent of the University of Phoenix.
In Terms of Tourism, Phoenix also serves as the hub for travelers going to the Grand Canyon and Sky Harbor is one of the busiest airports in the world. Phoenix also has more than 62,000 hotel rooms in over 500 hotels and 40 resorts, greater Phoenix sees over 16 million visitors each year. As a previous poster said, it is a well known city all over the world. I am shocked by the amount of European travelers that chose to go to Phoenix as one of their American city destinations.
Phoenix also hosts the Arabian horse show(largest in US), the Phoenix open(due to the city having over 200 golf courses), and the baret Jackson car show which people fly to from all over the US. It has seen the highest growth in population(which it continues to see) and as said before Scottsdale is home to some of the best restaurants and shopping centers in the USA(IE pizzaria bianco, fashion square, and kierland)
The video below shows it all! Need I say more lol
https://vimeo.com/80416499

Last edited by i'm not a cookie; 09-02-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City