Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Wilmington, DE 15 60.00%
El Paso, TX 9 36.00%
They're equal 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:35 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,424,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I think this comparison needs to be more defined. Wincluded say "Wilmington", are you specifically referring to the city limits, or are you referring to Greater Wilmington? Since the city limits are so small for the city proper, I think you should refer to Greater Wilmington (as in New Castle County only, and NOT South Jersey, Maryland or Pennsylvania) for a more fair comparison.
I am referring to both cities including their metro areas. Since Wilmington is included with Philadelphia, I was not sure whether to include that unless Wilmington has a more defined "urban" area separate from Philadelphia. Adding Philadelphia clearly would not make for a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 04:58 PM

37,895 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
I drove through it 15 years ago, so that's the extent of my first hand knowledge. I have no problems admitting that. But I just don't see how Wilmington, even being generous and considering New Castle County as Wilmington, comes close to being in the same conversation as El Paso, if we're being honest and not relying on Philadelphia/location. Can you honestly enlighten me? Is El Paso the same as Juarez?

For all intents and purposes, Wilmington is pretty much synonymous with New Castle County, but there's a noticeable gap between its urban developments and Pennsylvania's. Even Claymont to Chester has dead space, so Wilmington is still significantly detached from Philadelphia. I know location might win this poll, but all other things considered? I voted like a homer for Wilmington because I honestly thought this was a joke thread. But maybe it's not the slaughter I think, if you can feel me in on El Paso better than Wikipedia.
I'm not familiar with El Paso firsthand, but with the info that's available, I'm failing to see how it's such a slam dunk for El Paso from your perspective. At the least, Wilmington is more diverse, more educated, and has a more robust economy than El Paso.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,184,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am referring to both cities including their metro areas. Since Wilmington is included with Philadelphia, I was not sure whether to include that unless Wilmington has a more defined "urban" area separate from Philadelphia. Adding Philadelphia clearly would not make for a fair comparison.
According to the census, no, Wilmington is always in the Philly MSA. I've seen Greater Wilmington and the Brandywine Valley used by the tourism bureau, but that's more for sightseeing.

In real life, though, Wilmington does have a separate sphere of influence than Philadelphia, and I personally think New Castle County as "Wilmington" is the most fair definition for a city proper with only 11 sq miles of land. Glasgow, Bear, Newark, etc. are all simply suburban extensions of Wilmington, imo. If this was the West Coast, they'd all still be within city limits.

To include Philadelphia, however, skews the debate. There's significant highway distance between Wilmington's edge city of Claymont and Philly's edge city of Chester (7 miles), not to mention city centers (30 miles). Definitely neighbors and Philly is the big, big brother, but Wilmington has enough distance and sphere of influence of its own that I think New Castle County is the best definition for "Wilmington".

Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not familiar with El Paso firsthand, but with the info that's available, I'm failing to see how it's such a slam dunk for El Paso from your perspective. At the least, Wilmington is more diverse, more educated, and has a more robust economy than El Paso.
El Paso is simply so much bigger and is, more importantly, a much bigger focus in its metro. 1 million out of 2.7 million people (binational) has way more sway than 550,000 out of 7 million. Far more cultural offerings, restaurants, etc. when you're twice as big.

I know it will be hard to divorce Philadelphia/location in this thread for some, but that's how it has to be. Otherwise, this is just Philly vs El Paso. Outside of location to better cities, what does non-Philly Wilmington do better than El Paso? I'm doing research on El Paso now to debate, but I have strong reservations. Outside of diversity, nothing immediately jumps out in Wilmington's favor.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:45 PM

451 posts, read 466,357 times
Never been to either, but I'd be a lot more curious about El Paso just based on geography, demographics, and surrounding culture. El Paso has dry/desert-y vibe, close to Mexico, Mexican women, and conservative Texas and Mexican culture.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
El Paso is simply so much bigger and is, more importantly, a much bigger focus in its metro. 1 million out of 2.7 million people (binational) has way more sway than 550,000 out of 7 million. Far more cultural offerings, restaurants, etc. when you're twice as big.
How much actual border crossing is there from the U.S. side to the Mexican side though, especially with the ever-present threat of cartel violence? And where are you getting that 1 million figure from? Also I think Wilmington has cultural advantages, being the largest city and commercial and cultural center of its state.

Quote:
I know it will be hard to divorce Philadelphia/location in this thread for some, but that's how it has to be. Otherwise, this is just Philly vs El Paso. Outside of location to better cities, what does non-Philly Wilmington do better than El Paso? I'm doing research on El Paso now to debate, but I have strong reservations. Outside of diversity, nothing immediately jumps out in Wilmington's favor.
Wilmington's economy seems to be more well-rounded and robust for one. I prefer Wilmington's location both in terms of geography and its inclusion in the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
How much actual border crossing is there from the U.S. side to the Mexican side though, especially with the ever-present threat of cartel violence? And where are you getting that 1 million figure from? Also I think Wilmington has cultural advantages, being the largest city and commercial and cultural center of its state.

Wilmington's economy seems to be more well-rounded and robust for one. I prefer Wilmington's location both in terms of geography and its inclusion in the Bos-Wash corridor.
I got that rough 1,000,000 figure from the American side CSA. And Wilmington does have advantages of being Delaware's premier city, but trust me, Delaware as a whole is pretty void of culture (arts, theater, etc). Wilmington and Newark are pretty much it. Throw in the fact that El Paso's American CSA is larger than the entire state, and I don't see the comparison. Wilmington has to rely on Philadelphia, and Baltimore to a lesser extent, when it comes to culture.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I got that rough 1,000,000 figure from the American side CSA. And Wilmington does have advantages of being Delaware's premier city, but trust me, Delaware as a whole is pretty void of culture (arts, theater, etc). Wilmington and Newark are pretty much it. Throw in the fact that El Paso's American CSA is larger than the entire state, and I don't see the comparison. Wilmington has to rely on Philadelphia, and Baltimore to a lesser extent, when it comes to culture.
But population numbers isn't necessarily a direct reflection of culture/cultural assets, and again, it appears that Wilmington has the advantage here as the primary city/hub of its state whereas El Paso seems to be the "forgotten" city of Texas since it's so far out. And El Paso's CSA numbers include the Las Cruces, NM area so both cities rely on areas outside of their state.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
But population numbers isn't necessarily a direct reflection of culture/cultural assets, and again, it appears that Wilmington has the advantage here as the primary city/hub of its state whereas El Paso seems to be the "forgotten" city of Texas since it's so far out. And El Paso's CSA numbers include the Las Cruces, NM area so both cities rely on areas outside of their state.
True, but the 6th most populous city in the 2nd largest state is still going to have more cultural pull than the largest city in the 45th most populous state, even if it's more "forgotten". More state money for allocation.

More importantly, Wilmington isn't even a "reliever" city for Philadelphia when it comes to culture or sports like other metros (DFW, the Bay, etc). There is NO major airport in the entire state, just a regional one in New Castle used for businesses/the rich. You fly to Philly to go to Delaware.

There are no major concert venues outside of the Bob Carpenter center in Newark, and even that is up to who the university can bring in. It's not like the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden that is a regular tour stop/venue. Outside of athletics, it's a one artist a semester type of venue.

Culturally, Wilmington doesn't offer much. If you like NASCAR, you can drive down to Dover twice a year, and Firefly is now a legit festival. All of the sports teams are minor league and they suck, and UD isn't very competitive outside of lacrosse and ice skating. The high cultural offerings are struggling local acts/artists who do it more for passion than anything else.

If you want consistent, great culture in this state, you have to go to either Philadelphia or Baltimore to do so. Wilmington/Delaware is blessed by location, but also cursed by it. Having to consistently drive an hour for fun/entertainment gets old fast, trust me.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
True, but the 6th most populous city in the 2nd largest state is still going to have more cultural pull than the largest city in the 45th most populous state, even if it's more "forgotten". More state money for allocation.
That's not necessarily true at all, and how big a city is within its respective state has little to do with its cultural pull. As a matter of fact, I could argue that the largest city in a small state is at more of an advantage since it probably has little to no in-state competition, whereas a city like El Paso has to fight with its in-state peers and is absolutely no match for the larger cities.

Quote:
More importantly, Wilmington isn't even a "reliever" city for Philadelphia when it comes to culture or sports like other metros (DFW, the Bay, etc). There is NO major airport in the entire state, just a regional one in New Castle used for businesses/the rich. You fly to Philly to go to Delaware.

There are no major concert venues outside of the Bob Carpenter center in Newark, and even that is up to who the university can bring in. It's not like the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden that is a regular tour stop/venue. Outside of athletics, it's a one artist a semester type of venue.

Culturally, Wilmington doesn't offer much. If you like NASCAR, you can drive down to Dover twice a year, and Firefly is now a legit festival. All of the sports teams are minor league and they suck, and UD isn't very competitive outside of lacrosse and ice skating. The high cultural offerings are struggling local acts/artists who do it more for passion than anything else.

If you want consistent, great culture in this state, you have to go to either Philadelphia or Baltimore to do so. Wilmington/Delaware is blessed by location, but also cursed by it. Having to consistently drive an hour for fun/entertainment gets old fast, trust me.
I understand that you're familiar with Wilmington's shortcomings, but you're essentially arguing that El Paso wins by default. That's just a bad argument to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City