Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More underrated/under-the-radar in North America?
Mexico City 48 80.00%
Toronto 12 20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
D.D. Interesting to hear. Pics of Mexico City streetscape? Because I was amazed by BA's.
Here are a few Google Image searches for some of the more popular neighborhoods in DF:

La Colonia Roma: https://www.google.com/search?q=la+colonia+roma&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:MIE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmo VChMI-NHnyePqxwIVhRk-Ch1I8wbz&biw=1920&bih=1065

Coyoacan: https://www.google.com/search?q=la+colonia+roma&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:MIE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmo VChMI-NHnyePqxwIVhRk-Ch1I8wbz&biw=1920&bih=1065#tbm=isch&q=coyoacan+

La Condesa: https://www.google.com/search?q=la+condesa+df&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:MIE-Address&biw=1920&bih=1065&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa= X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIz6P3juTqxwIVQVk-Ch1joQH0

There are actually a lot of Argentine immigrants in DF because the city is so similar to BA, but with better economic opportunities.

There's actually a joke: "What do you call a Porteño in DF?" The answer is "Waiter! Waiter!"

Another reason why I prefer DF to BA is that the Defeños are not arrogant about their language. When I was in BA, I remember being mocked for pronouncing ll as y and not as je. The Porteños would also impatiently listen to my Spanish, all the while refusing to speak English (probably because they couldn't). Some people just won't talk to you unless you speak in their accent, which could be difficult for a foreigner. Whereas the Defeños were helpful, patient, and eager to engage with me in small talk in restaurants and bars. My Spanish improved tremendously on that trip.

And here are some of my own pictures from from my trip.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 09-09-2015 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:11 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I completely disagree with both of you. It's really like neither, and I doubt either of you are familiar with DF beyond Google Steetview.

I have actually lived in DF! You are simply talking complete nonsense. DF is new. It's a modern city of the automobile age. You think it looks like Paris? Where in Paris are the massive double-decker freeways, or the gigantic shopping malls, or the huge office parks?
Quote:
The central parts of the DF feel more like Paris with tropical plants or a clean version of Buenos Aires--really nothing like anything in the US.
DF looks absolutely nothing like Paris or BA. I suspect you haven't visited DF, because it would take 30 seconds in that city to be confident your statement is untrue.

And "tropical plants"? LOL! DF is high up in the mountains, with an alpine altitude. It's characterized by pine trees, not "tropical plants". Are you getting DF mixed up with Cancun or something? DF doesn't even get particularly warm. It's warmer in Minnesota for one-third of the year.

DF was a relatively small city prior to 1970. It boomed faster than any other city in world history during the 1970's, and was the biggest city on earth by 1980. So DF is basically a product of the 1970's, and is characterized by boxy buildings, freeways, shopping malls and the like, but in a dense environment. Paris would be almost a polar opposite of DF.

Also, some of the previously posted pics are nonsense. They're showing a few blocks in Roma and Condesa, and a few blocks around the center. 99% of DF looks nothing like that. Even those neighborhoods don't look like that; it's obvious cherry-picking.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:02 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

I have actually lived in DF! You are simply talking complete nonsense. DF is new. It's a modern city of the automobile age. You think it looks like Paris? Where in Paris are the massive double-decker freeways, or the gigantic shopping malls, or the huge office parks?

DF looks absolutely nothing like Paris or BA. I suspect you haven't visited DF, because it would take 30 seconds in that city to be confident your statement is untrue.

And "tropical plants"? LOL! DF is high up in the mountains, with an alpine altitude. It's characterized by pine trees, not "tropical plants". Are you getting DF mixed up with Cancun or something? DF doesn't even get particularly warm. It's warmer in Minnesota for one-third of the year.

DF was a relatively small city prior to 1970. It boomed faster than any other city in world history during the 1970's, and was the biggest city on earth by 1980. So DF is basically a product of the 1970's, and is characterized by boxy buildings, freeways, shopping malls and the like, but in a dense environment. Paris would be almost a polar opposite of DF.

Also, some of the previously posted pics are nonsense. They're showing a few blocks in Roma and Condesa, and a few blocks around the center. 99% of DF looks nothing like that. Even those neighborhoods don't look like that; it's obvious cherry-picking.
None of this makes sense.

DF was specifically designed to look like Paris both in terms of architecture and layout. Up unitl the Revolution, the country was run by francophiles, who modeled their capital after Paris. This is why DF looks different from other Mexican cities, which are more inspired by Spanish architecture.

Both DF and Paris have wealthy, dense urban cores, and both cities sprawl out to slummy suburbs that vary in density. No American city is like this. While Paris's slums are not as poor as DF's, suburban Paris is amoung the poorest places in all of Europe. The only shopping mall I remember seeing in DF was in Zona Rosa, and it was far more modest in size than the suburban shopping malls most Americans are familiar with. It doesn't even have a parking lot. And, yes, Paris has freeways and shopping malls too.

If you want to talk about massive office parks, Paris's business district, La Défense, looks and feels an aweful lot like DF's La Reforma. A lot--so much that I find myself mixing up their names. And both business districts are different from the downtown areas typical of American cities because they're both located just outside of the city center, and they don't have the same level of decay that is typical of many American downtowns. Albeit La Défense is further out than La Reforma, it's the same general urban layout.

Yes, DF did grow extensively in the 70's, but in 1960, DF's population was 4.5 million--that's hardly small. The urban core stretches for miles. It takes two miles to walk across Colonia Roma alone. And, yes, my photos are completely typical of Roma; anyone who has been there would know. Just google "Colonia Roma," and you'll see. And while the rest of the city does not look like Roma and Condesa, I explained that much in my earlier post.

Saying that DF is cooler than Minnneapolis in summer does not mean that DF is cold. It rarely drops below 50 degrees, and it's often above 80 and humid during the wet season. That climate supports tropical plants. Just look at the tropical plants in the pictures I posted above. Actually, the plants are a similarity between DF and LA. I love the purple jacaronda flowers that that bloom across DF, LA, and BA in the spring. I didn't recall seeing any pine trees in DF, and even if the city were covered in pines, that wouldn't mean anything given that the flora of Central Florida is a mix of tropical plants and, yes, lots and lots of pines. And while it's true that DF is over 7,000 feet above sea-level, the plant life there is nothing like Lake Tahoe or Aspen--you'll have to travel just outside the city for that.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 09-09-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 09:08 PM

358 posts, read 283,196 times
I visited both cities and Mexico City is way underrated

Old 09-10-2015, 12:25 PM

676 posts, read 962,063 times
Quote:
The streets and sidewalks are spotlessly clean.
Well, in large parts, yes, but not everywhere. DF is a mixture of two worlds. In the wealthy, central parts, it looks like a first world city at times. Clean streets, great mixture of old and new architecture, and 7-11s on every corner.

However, if you go away from the city center, you do see a lot of blight. There are legitimate slums in Mexico City!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 PM

984 posts, read 1,315,700 times
I find Mexico City is very under rated. I love MC.

That said part of the reason it is so under rated by North Americans is that most in NA don't view it as being in NA.

Most view it as Central or Latin America both culturally, politically and economically. I think it's kind of the way people in Europe view Russia.............technically part of Europe but people don't really view it that way. The difference is that Mexico is generally very well liked by NA while everyone seems to hate Russia.

Think of it as Egypt............technically part of Africa but people view it as a Middle East country.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:34 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,112,167 times
Many Middle East countries are also in Africa.. Middle East isn't a continent. And Russia is in 2 continents.

I don't know anyone who doesn't think of Mexico as North American. I mean, I live in California, it is right below us.. Obviously it has a lot in common with Latin America though.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,402 times
The DF is the better and more interesting city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City