Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Buffalo, NY
Richmond, VA 105 58.01%
Buffalo, NY 80 44.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times

Advertisements

Richmond....Buffalo has way too much snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM

5,830 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This saved me from writing much more than I wanted to.....

Buffalo is the second biggest city in NY State, would be if Richmond were in NY State and is still very important. Hence the "Buffalo Billion" invested into the city/area by the state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Billion

Another thing that gets overlooked is that Richmond is 22.5 square miles bigger in terms of land versus Buffalo(62.5 vs. 40.6). So, that may play a part in terms of abandonment/poverty, etc. in comparison, as if Buffalo was the same land size of Richmond, it would include some first ring suburbs.

To put this into perspective, Rochester, which is closer in population to Richmond is at 35.8 square miles, could add the towns of Irondequoit and Brighton and would only be about 5 square miles bigger than Richmond in terms of land size. Rochester if at the same size of Richmond in terms of land would have close to 300,000 people(Buffalo would be about at 330,000 and I dare say that Syracuse would have the same amount of people within the city if it were the size of Richmond). Rochester is another area that is also in that room with Richmond and is only about an hour/hour and 15 from Downtown to Downtown from Buffalo, which is shorter than Richmond to Norfolk. So, it makes sense in terms of shared importance within a smaller geographical area.

Otherwise, I'd say that the post is fair or debatable(same for aspects like crime, school systems/options, etc.).
I'm familiar with the Buffalo Billion. There's shrines and signs to it in the First Ward and Outer Harbor areas, amongst other places...

Richmond being 22 miles larger in land area doesn't get overlooked--it isn't really important. That differential doesn't change the fact that Richmond has the denser core, the busier core, the larger downtown. If Richmond was in New York it wouldn't be 60 square miles, but then, even that wouldn't change the fact that Richmond is more urban within the core. If anything, it would heighten the realization...

Richmond has the larger metropolitan area. Richmond has the larger downtown. Richmond had the larger urban area by about 18,000 in 2010, and because both Richmond City and metro have gained population this decade while Buffalo City and metro have lost population, the 2020 Census will reveal an even larger gulf between the two UA's...

Again, not that Richmond feels dramatically larger than Buffalo, but nobody is going to Richmond FROM Buffalo and have the impression they are in a smaller city. Literally the only metric by which Buffalo is larger is the least important one--by city...

The ~20 square miles more of land that Richmond have is essentially the difference explained in Buffalo being ~6300ppsm to Richmond ~3700ppsm. Buffalo has a more widespread urban form. Richmond is more built up within the core ~9-10 square miles of the city...

I think the point of importance I was trying to illustrate is that Buffalo's ranking within NY is generally fluid and debatable, not that it is unimportant....

Old 05-23-2017, 02:05 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm familiar with the Buffalo Billion. There's shrines and signs to it in the First Ward and Outer Harbor areas, amongst other places...

Richmond being 22 miles larger in land area doesn't get overlooked--it isn't really important. That differential doesn't change the fact that Richmond has the denser core, the busier core, the larger downtown. If Richmond was in New York it wouldn't be 60 square miles, but then, even that wouldn't change the fact that Richmond is more urban within the core. If anything, it would heighten the realization...

Richmond has the larger metropolitan area. Richmond has the larger downtown. Richmond had the larger urban area by about 18,000 in 2010, and because both Richmond City and metro have gained population this decade while Buffalo City and metro have lost population, the 2020 Census will reveal an even larger gulf between the two UA's...

Again, not that Richmond feels dramatically larger than Buffalo, but nobody is going to Richmond FROM Buffalo and have the impression they are in a smaller city. Literally the only metric by which Buffalo is larger is the least important one--by city...

The ~20 square miles more of land that Richmond have is essentially the difference explained in Buffalo being ~6300ppsm to Richmond ~3700ppsm. Buffalo has a more widespread urban form. Richmond is more built up within the core ~9-10 square miles of the city...

I think the point of importance I was trying to illustrate is that Buffalo's ranking within NY is generally fluid and debatable, not that it is unimportant....
I got you and agree that Buffalo isn't safely in 2nd in NY State....I will say that Buffalo's Urban Area land size is smaller in comparison by a little over 113 square miles(492.2 vs. 379.9). So, its small urban area may actually make the area seem smaller and its population density may be spread out evenly within its inner portion, in comparison. For instance, Kenmore is/was a top incorporated municipality in terms of population density in the country, while being a first ring suburb.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:10 AM

797 posts, read 1,431,087 times
At this point I believe ol girl Shakeesha is here just to pick/troll with Murksiderock and any other proud Richmond lover because it's becoming a little obivious

Old 05-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Buffalo
Hence, the user name. Lol

Old 05-24-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I got you and agree that Buffalo isn't safely in 2nd in NY State....I will say that Buffalo's Urban Area land size is smaller in comparison by a little over 113 square miles(492.2 vs. 379.9). So, its small urban area may actually make the area seem smaller and its population density may be spread out evenly within its inner portion, in comparison. For instance, Kenmore is/was a top incorporated municipality in terms of population density in the country, while being a first ring suburb.
Just curious and this kind of supplement the statement above, but does Richmond have urban or walkable suburbs similar to suburban villages/cities like Kenmore, Lackawanna, Hamburg, East Aurora, Tonawanda(city), North Tonawanda, Orchard Park, Lancaster, Depew and Williamsville, among maybe a few others?

I look at Niagara Falls and Petersburg/Colonial Heights canceling each other out. Same with Lockport and Hopewell.

Also, just curious in terms of schools, what would be Richmond's public/magnet high school equivalents to City Honors, Hutchinson Central Tech, Leonardo DaVinci, Emerson School of Hospitality, Buffalo Visual and Performing Arts or even McKinley Vocational in terms of high/decent grad rates and academic achievement? Are there incentive programs like this?: http://www.sayyesbuffalo.org

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-24-2017 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 PM

5,830 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Just curious and this kind of supplement the statement above, but does Richmond have urban or walkable suburbs similar to suburban villages/cities like Kenmore, Lackawanna, Hamburg, East Aurora, Tonawanda(city), North Tonawanda, Orchard Park, Lancaster, Depew and Williamsville, among maybe a few others?

I look at Niagara Falls and Petersburg/Colonial Heights canceling each other out. Same with Lockport and Hopewell.

Also, just curious in terms of schools, what would be Richmond's public/magnet high school equivalents to City Honors, Hutchinson Central Tech, Leonardo DaVinci, Emerson School of Hospitality, Buffalo Visual and Performing Arts or even McKinley Vocational in terms of high/decent grad rates and academic achievement? Are there incentive programs like this?: Home - Say Yes to Education - Buffalo
Ashland would be the only city is liken to the Buffalo suburbs. Chester too, but neither of these places abut the city limits like Kenmore and Lackawanna. I can agree on Niagara/Petersburg-Colonial Heights. For all intents and purposes they are the same city (only the King Bridge separates them). Very apt comparison...

Richmond's equivalent to City Honors in Buffalo would be Richmond Community High--except according to US News, City Honors is #167 nationally, Richmond Community is #539. So they aren't really equals...

I am sure there are programs similar to those you named at city high schools, but I didn't go to Richmond City and I'm now 11 years removed from my last days in high school. I can barely remember anything!

@diff, it does seem like calls for attention lol...

Old 05-24-2017, 12:27 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Ashland would be the only city is liken to the Buffalo suburbs. Chester too, but neither of these places abut the city limits like Kenmore and Lackawanna. I can agree on Niagara/Petersburg-Colonial Heights. For all intents and purposes they are the same city (only the King Bridge separates them). Very apt comparison...

Richmond's equivalent to City Honors in Buffalo would be Richmond Community High--except according to US News, City Honors is #167 nationally, Richmond Community is #539. So they aren't really equals...

I am sure there are programs similar to those you named at city high schools, but I didn't go to Richmond City and I'm now 11 years removed from my last days in high school. I can barely remember anything!

@diff, it does seem like calls for attention lol...
Don't forget the Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies on Lombardy and Leigh St. Every year since 2006 the school has been recognized by Newsweek as one of the twenty-one most elite public schools in America. Its counterpart, the Appomattox Regional Governor's School for the Arts And Technology is in Petersburg. Within the city you also have Open High School, specializing in self-directed educational programs the students design themselves.

Last edited by aquest1; 05-24-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Don't forget the Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies on Lombardy and Leigh St. Every year since 2006 the school has been recognized by Newsweek as one of the twenty-one most elite public schools in America. Its counterpart, the Appomattox Regional Governor's School for the Arts And Technology is in Petersburg. Within the city you also have Open High School, specializing in self-directed educational programs the students design themselves.
So, Maggie Walker appears to be similar to City Honors, which by some publications has been viewed as one the best HS's in NY State and even one of the best in the Northeast/country. https://cityhonors.org/

https://cityhonors.org/page/news/tit...in-northeast-/

City Honors ranked among best high schools in U.S. | wivb.com

New rankings place City Honors 23rd in state, 167th in U.S. - The Buffalo News

Isn't Maggie Walker a charter school? I ask only because City Honors is a part of the Buffalo City SD and is a magnet school. All of the other Buffalo schools mentioned are a part of the Buffalo City SD as well and are all magnet, which is essentially what almost all Buffalo City SD high schools are with a range of results.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-25-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 01:37 PM

199 posts, read 334,161 times
Quote:
So, Maggie Walker appears to be similar to City Honors, which by some publications has been viewed as one the best HS's in NY State and even one of the best in the Northeast/country. https://cityhonors.org/

https://cityhonors.org/page/news/tit...in-northeast-/

City Honors ranked among best high schools in U.S. | wivb.com

New rankings place City Honors 23rd in state, 167th in U.S. - The Buffalo News

Isn't Maggie Walker a charter school? I ask only because City Honors is a part of the Buffalo City SD and is a magnet school. All of the other Buffalo schools mentioned are a part of the Buffalo City SD as well and are all magnet, which is essentially what almost all Buffalo City SD high schools are with a range of results.
Maggie Walker is a magnet school as well, although it's actually part of the statewide governor's school program and is not actually part of Richmond Public Schools, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City