Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 07:19 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
go visit and see for yourself, again you will be surprised what you find...
This is what I always say. I don't like having an opinion about a place that I've only passed through or don't somewhat know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 10:39 AM

9,687 posts, read 9,412,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Yes it certainly does have commuter rail which is a bit different than light rail though. And again I do like all of these cities. Nashville has alot going for it...
You definitely need to come visit if you have not been to Nashville in a while. So much stuff is going on.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You do realize that Midtown Atlanta is not Downtown. You're moving the goal post. Nashville has a thriving and growing Midtown as well that is not Downtown. My original point was that neither Charlotte or Atlanta have a street as unique or active like Nashville, not that it somehow makes Nashville comprehensively better.
No. I’m not goin to let you ignore relevant differences. Our midtown is attached to our downtown.. and most people who are local refer to it all as downtown, only on this board is the difference pronounced.

But as far as unique streets, I would say peachtree at five points in its heyday had that distinctive “flavorful” feel you are talking about. The underground was highly traffic’d in the same way.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:47 PM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I'm impressed by the growth but not the city and what it has to offer. You can combine Charlotte and Nashville and still not have the economy of Atlanta.
Not in terms of size but when it comes to composition and performance, they would be very comparable.

Last edited by JMT; 04-12-2022 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-13-2022, 10:26 AM

10,084 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You definitely need to come visit if you have not been to Nashville in a while. So much stuff is going on.
Oh 100% !!

I just spoke to 2 people this morning who are moving to Nashville from NYC. One of them is a friend of my partner's.

She was deadset on moving to Charlotte, but then her sister moved to Nashville in December, and she visited 3 times since.

She fell in love with the city, and is moving to the Germantown section of town (which I think has a ton of continued potential and is growing so fast).

Anyway, thought I'd share this cool shot from earlier today, from Sky 5 of Nashville:

https://up-bucket-0.s3.amazonaws.com...a1e12e5e1.jpeg

Last edited by JMT; 04-13-2022 at 11:28 AM..

Old 04-13-2022, 07:11 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,412,970 times
[quote=meep;63242845]No. I’m not goin to let you ignore relevant differences. Our midtown is attached to our downtown.. and most people who are local refer to it all as downtown, only on this board is the difference pronounced.[/QUOUTE]

If you are going to include Midtown Atlanta as downtown then you have to do the same for the other cities. Nashville's downtown is connected to midtown as well. It is vibrant, filled with universities, restaurants, hotels, bars, government and main campus hospital facilities, and soon to be retail in mixed use developments going in old surface parking and car lots.

https://nashvillenownext.com/2021/11...own-nashville/

Quote:
But as far as unique streets, I would say peachtree at five points in its heyday had that distinctive “flavorful” feel you are talking about. The underground was highly traffic’d in the same way.
Most of Nashville's flavor is located in Antioch, Nolensville Rd., and South Nashville. Germantown, North and East Nashville, also have their own flavor. Nolensville and Antioch are the closest areas we have to "ethnic enclaves". There are many African, Middle Eastern, Asian, and Hispanic groups in these areas.

https://nashvilleethnicenclave.wordp...ensville-road/

https://plazamariachi.com/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurd...n_of_Nashville

https://www.wkrn.com/news/digging-in...ty-of-antioch/

Old 04-15-2022, 08:12 PM

155 posts, read 127,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Yeah I don’t see how Nashville is ahead of Charlotte. Either way, Atlanta still beats both combined regardless.
Just because Charlotte is a bit bigger doesn't mean it'll be ahead of Nashville in every category.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:42 AM

82 posts, read 167,657 times
Sometimes a city total metropolitan population doesn't mean it has more nightlife, bars, clubs and activity to do. Las Vegas is city with 640, 000 and metro area id 2.3 million but the entertainment, hotel industry, tourism, conventions rank it above Atlanta. Many of Atlanta's suburban counties also do not have and attachment to the city. Of course uts larger that Charlotte and Nashville combined, that doesn't necessarily always define demographics, growth potential and change. Look at Detroit a metro area of 4.3 million, yet Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Columbus has more going for it than Detroit, yet those cities are in smaller metropolitan areas. When Atlanta metropolitan population reached 2 million in the 1980's, it was competing with cities and metro area twice as big as big, and it drew in lots of business development. What I'm saying is the same goes for Charlotte, Nashville ( or Raleigh, Orlando and Tampa ) are doing the same. They are a major cities. And let's not forget Miami which is the largest metropolitan area in the Southeastern USA. Again demographics change over time. Today, the cost of high living expenses, traffic, crime will slow down many large urban areas, for smaller metro areas, where quality of life still is good, jobs, entertainment and growth remains solid.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:04 AM

82 posts, read 167,657 times
Bigger doesn't always mean you no one can compete against you. Boston, Philadelphia and Washington DC compete against New York City in many ways, and they hold down there on. Milwaukee, St.Louis, Detroit, Indianapolis and Columbus, rival Chicago in many ways. San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle. LAS Vegasand Phoenix rival Los Angeles in many ways. Be not fooled that cities like Charlotte, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, can't rival Atlanta or Miami. New Orleans probably beat Atlanta and Charlotte out in tourism, yet it remains a smaller city and metro area. If population means everything then New York, Los Angeles and Chicago should have everything. But it doesn't always work that way.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:09 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd90 View Post
Just because Charlotte is a bit bigger doesn't mean it'll be ahead of Nashville in every category.
Has nothing to do with being bigger. I’m talking about transit, job opportunities, diversity, and things to do. Nashville just isn’t my cup of tea for living but I still think it’s a great city, just not better than Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City