Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
Its certainly a top ten city in the country.
I'd say it's arguably a top 10 city in the country. Hardly certain.

NYC, LA, SF, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Dallas and Houston are definitely ahead of Seattle, and that's nine cities.

So that leaves Atlanta, Miami and Seattle to duke it out for #10. Honestly I don't think I would pick Seattle ahead of either Atlanta or Miami, so, to me, Seattle is around #12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
For the tenth ****ing time, im not placing them in tiers. Its a general list of the premier US cities.

Seattle has world class geography and its economy is one of the best. Theres a reason its rapidly growing. Its certainly a top ten city in the country.
hahahaha.
I agree, it is a big city and has a right to be listed, not on a global scale(only LA, NYC and maybe Chicago would be listed for global premiere cities), but certainly when speaking of the Top cities in the USA seattle should be listed.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:40 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Chicago is constantly being referred to as "flyover country" - quit pretending this is an uncommon thing. Just use any internet search and you'll see this is the case; or look around C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Flyover country is the mind numbing stretch in the heartland where it's flat and plain.

Phoenix is in a desert valley nestled in some tall mountains close to the southern border, Denver is next to the Rockies and Atlanta is on the coast

You don't generally 'fly over' Atlanta or Phoenix and like Denver they all have variable landscapes/features different than where 'fly over' country is. (OK, AR, KS, IL, IN, OH etc.)

Chicago is in fly over county, but Chicago itself isn't a fly over nor is it Chastised?
Right, so being in the middle of a desert or a couple states closer to an oceanic coast is "more variable" than a city on the Great Lakes?

AR has the Ozarks, which are "more variable" than where Denver sits (it's on the Plains). I just can't see any rationale for this position at all.

The true answer here is yes, the Midwest has an image issue. So does the South.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:45 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Just seems like a lot of playing the victim card. No one really has a poor opinion of Chicago compared to those cities.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Chicago is constantly being referred to as "flyover country" - quit pretending this is an uncommon thing. Just use any internet search and you'll see this is the case; or look around C-D.
Right, so being in the middle of a desert or a couple states closer to an oceanic coast is "more variable" than a city on the Great Lakes?

AR has the Ozarks, which are "more variable" than where Denver sits (it's on the Plains). I just can't see any rationale for this position at all.
The true answer here is yes, the Midwest has an image issue. So does the South.
Well, Milwaukee is far more Flyover... because of Chicago so close. But Chicago's Domestic Tourist still give it some Bragging rights. Maybe a lot are Midwesterners visiting? But still in Domestic Tourist numbers... Chicago is up there with RESORT cities and NYC. Just in INTERNATIONAL TOURIST. It is much more flyover in for of NYC/Miami/Orlando on the East Coast, and LA/SF on the West Coast.

AGAIN...
CHICAGO hit 50 million tourist in 2014. 48.5 million Domestic. That best NYC by more then 4 million domestic. But NYC adding INTERNATIONAL TOURIST puts its numbers way up.....

Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | CLTV

Orlando - 62 million visitors
NYC - 56 million visitors
Chicago - 50 million visitors
Los Angeles - 44 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Atlanta - 36 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 19 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors

Old 09-09-2015, 03:24 PM

66 posts, read 74,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'd say it's arguably a top 10 city in the country. Hardly certain.

NYC, LA, SF, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Dallas and Houston are definitely ahead of Seattle, and that's nine cities.

So that leaves Atlanta, Miami and Seattle to duke it out for #10. Honestly I don't think I would pick Seattle ahead of either Atlanta or Miami, so, to me, Seattle is around #12.

See, there's these things called opinions.

If I have to list ten of the best (in this case lets say premier) cities for a foreigner who has time for only ten, Seattle is on that list, especially over Dallas and Houston. I think Seattle offers more than Dallas, Houston, Miami and Atlanta. Can we escape this realm or notion that all that ****ing matters on this website is economic data concerning tech industries and energy, etc.

The "niche economy" people on here are the worst.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I've never noticed it being called that, I don't really think anyone here cares if it is.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
For the tenth ****ing time, im not placing them in tiers. Its a general list of the premier US cities.

Seattle has world class geography and its economy is one of the best. Theres a reason its rapidly growing. Its certainly a top ten city in the country.
I agree Seattle is an elite city.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:42 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Probably because it's the 3rd largest city that gets outshined by smaller cities on an international level, such as Las Vegas, Orlando, San Francisco, Miami, DC, and arguably San Diego. Nothing against Chicago because it's a great city, but that seems pretty pathetic.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
I wouldn't argue that Seattle is above Dallas, and especially not Houston. Internationally, I can't imagine that foreigners are more familiar with Seattle than Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta. Definitely not more recognizable than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City