Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:56 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
To live:
1. Dallas
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago

To visit:
1. Chicago
2. Los Angeles
3. Dallas

I'll be the first to say it in this thread but I genuinely like all three cities. I've lived in two of them before in the past and could easily do it again if I were ever pressed to do so. I could also live in Los Angeles too. I have either friends or family that are very close to me in all three and that makes a HUGE impact as to what my feelings for these 3 cities are/would be. These are cities that I became accustomed to the first time I stepped foot in all three and these are cities that, because I have relevant (to me) people in my life living in them, I will be seeing them in the future.

I only ranked the cities that I could see myself live in and visit (for leisure, for friends, for family, for work, for miscellaneous reasons).

Chicago finishes third in the livable category. Personally my gripes with Chicago are two-fold: 1) I don't like the regions climate nor topography (at least Dallas has the Ouchita Mountains 65-70 minutes north of Plano) and 2) I really despise and hate everything about the Chicago Bulls, the Chicago Cubs, the Chicago political machine, the socio-economic integration (or lack-there-of) in Chicagoland. Other than that, no problems with Chicago. Dallas offers the least of all 3 of these cities, obviously, but is the most affordable. While none of the 3 cities are in my American top 20, the important thing is that all 3 of them I could see myself live in and be happy, if ever pressed to live in them.

Chicago, restricted to the first half of Autumn, the second half of Spring, and all of Summer is my favorite of the three to visit. Its personally my second favorite urban environment in the United States after New York and I really love the food scene and the activities outdoors at the parks in that city. During the first half of Spring, second half of Autumn, and Winter -- I would like to avoid it like a plague.
Don't like the Chicago Cubs..... . Respectable post though can't say I disagree... but for the Cubs... ..... darn having Winters. I will probably be a Snowbird to Florida in Retirement. But probably couldn't do Chicago and Florida. I'd love a Skyscraper Condo/Apt. Living in Downtown Chicago and somewhere near the Florida coast and beach for winters.... Living in Chicago for 6 yrs. of my life. Had me Adopt it as if my real hometown. When back on visits.... its like going home.

Last edited by steeps; 09-09-2015 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:08 PM

37,880 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I only ranked the cities that I could see myself live in and visit (for leisure, for friends, for family, for work, for miscellaneous reasons).
So you couldn't see yourself at least visiting Philly? I think the history alone makes it worth a visit.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So you couldn't see yourself at least visiting Philly? I think the history alone makes it worth a visit.
I've seen it twice, once when I was 8 and the second time just less than 2 years ago when I was living in the Northeast Corridor. Its not my favorite city in the world, much less America. Lets leave it at that, honestly.

I think it has much to offer, is a suitable place for to live, and a decent place to visit for those into its offerings. Its not for me though.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:17 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
I've seen it twice, once when I was 8 and the second time just 2 years ago when I was living in the Northeast Corridor. Its not my favorite city in the world, much less America. Lets leave it at that, honestly.
Are you aware that Dallas was named after a Philadelphia mayor? Just a historical tidbit.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Are you aware that Dallas was named after a Philadelphia mayor? Just a historical tidbit.
I don't really care, honestly.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:25 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
- Best weather year round: Give some snow and a solid 4 seasons with great colors in the fall so PA/Philly
- Best scenery: Cityscape Chicago, LA the beach
- Best tourist attractions: tough to decide one so I will say LA/Chi
- Best foods: Philadelphia. Sarcone's for the win.
- Best shopping areas: I assume LA. I picture Dallas having very large nice malls that sell very large cowboy hats.
- Safetest (natural disasters/ crimes): Dallas? Not sure.
- Most diverse (ethnicities/ races): Diverse is a relative question. All of these cities are way more diverse than 90% of the places in the US
- Best history: Philadelphia has the longest history. From the original plans for the Garden City to the discovery of electricity to the stock market to the insurance company. Philly was the first hub of the new world
- Best accent: Philly's accent is dying out, but truly entertaining youse guys get that wooder for me.
- Most friendly people: N/A
- Cleanest: Not sure
-
- Best waterfront: Chicago
- Best place to live: As a young adult, I would say either Philly or LA.
- Best place to visit: Chicago is made for a downtown visit
- Best place for retired: Dallas
- Best place for young kids (1-6 yrs old): Not sure

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 09-09-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 01:27 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Separated my post... My Choices
- Best weather --------------------------LA -of course overall
- Best scenery---------------------------LA -Overall/Chicago along its Shoreline and Downtown
- Best tourist attractions:---------------Philadelphia -American History/Chicago for Museums/Architecture
- Best foods :----------------------------Chicago /Philly tie
- Best shopping areas:------------------Chicago/LA - tie
- Safetest (natural disasters/ crimes):-Chicago - from Natural Disasters, Northside is safe/Dallas overall
- Most diverse (ethnicities/ races):-----Chicago
- Best history: ---------------------------Philadelphia - pre-20th century/Chicago for the 20th century
- Best accent: ----------------------- ----Chicago - though not common today...
- Most friendly people: ------------------Chicago - I find them friendly
- Cleanest: -------------------------------Chicago - AWESOMELY CLEAN DOWNTOWN
- Best skyline: ---------------------------Chicago - NO DOUBT HERE
- Best waterfront: -----------------------Chicago - AWESOME SHORELINE Beaches even Downtown.
- Best place to live: ---------------------Chicago - Still have to stick with it here...
- Best place to visit: --------------------Chicago - VISIT YEARLY.... always great.
- Best place for retired:-----------------Chicago - for Spring-Autumn/ LA in Winter
- Best place for young kids; Probably- Dallas - Probably of the 3, for better schools

Last edited by steeps; 09-09-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 01:44 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
The Criteria:
- Best weather year round: I'm tempted to say LA but I really do enjoy 3.5 Seasons here in the Mid-Atlantic. May thru September is actually warmer in Philadelphia than Los Angeles and I like the heat/humidity. Constant sunshine in LA is wonderful but the lack of water is a concern. I was down the Jersey Shore the past week and ocean temps were well into the 70's. That's rare for the Pacific. I'd actually go with Philly here for year round weather even though I'd take LA in a heartbeat from January-March.

- Best scenery: LA
- Best tourist attractions: Philadelphia
- Best foods: Philadelphia
- Best shopping areas: LA?
- Safetest (natural disasters/ crimes): Crime? LA Natural Disaster? Philadelphia or Chicago
- Most diverse (ethnicities/ races): LA
- Best history: Philadelphia
- Best accent: Philadelphia
- Most friendly people: Chicago
- Cleanest: Chicago
-
- Best waterfront: LA/Chicago
- Best place to live: Philadelphia/Chicago
- Best place to visit: LA/Philadelphia
- Best place for retired: Philadelphia/Chicago/LA

TBH Dallas is not my type of city at all.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-09-2015 at 02:43 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I've seen it twice, once when I was 8 and the second time just less than 2 years ago when I was living in the Northeast Corridor. Its not my favorite city in the world, much less America. Lets leave it at that, honestly.

I think it has much to offer, is a suitable place for to live, and a decent place to visit for those into its offerings. Its not for me though.
Different strokes for different folks for sure. So for you, what makes Dallas a better or more interesting place to visit?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
TBH Dallas is not my type of city at all.
I do think it takes the cleanest category though and probably the safest category for crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City