Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Once you sully your brand, it's difficult to rebuild it. Not impossible, but difficult. BET for a lot of Black people still equals ignorance. BET's viewership probably peaks during its award shows and those aren't the best representation of Black America, imo.
It's but one facet of a multifaceted people. *shrugs*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:11 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's but one facet of a multifaceted people. *shrugs*
Yeah, but historically that particular facet was blown out of proportion on BET. And a lot of people still associate BET with a certain image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNxrg3ePvE

Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 AM

"Black Entertainment Television....IS THE WORST THING I'VE EVER SEEEEEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJQX3yA6Ie8

Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
That isn't the flip side of anything. That's one woman's opinion based off of her own isolated experience.

There are more blacks moving from Georgia to Texas than there are those going in the opposite direction.
Yeah, that video was complete and utter BS on so many levels, and I hate that it's out there to deceive and wrongly influence so many black professionals about Dallas. She sounds very angry and has many personal issues of her own (she misses Atlanta so much that nowhere will stack up to it in her mind, she can't find a man or a decent job for PERSONAL reasons, and she has a complex about her own skin color and complexion that she CAME to Dallas with). And a few things she tried to knock Dallas about---like foreigners owning most of the gas stations and Chinese restaurants (duh!) in the black neighborhoods---are not even exclusive to Dallas anyway, so they definitely should not be used to make Dallas sound like such an awful place for professional blacks. Anybody who takes her word on everything she says in that video is just as stupid as she is. I mean, we are talking about a huge cosmopolitan city that is gaining new blacks residents faster than most other cities (including Atlanta, if I'm not mistaken), has an extremely diverse population, plenty of world class amenities, and all types of diverse jobs and big companies moving here monthly, yet she is trying to paint Dallas as some little, racist, backwoods town in 1950s Mississippi or something. She needs to go back to Atlanta QUICK and stop bashing and lying on Dallas just because she's homesick and has issues with her own dark complexion.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 10-07-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
I would occasionally tune in just to see Free until around 2002 or so.
That was only tolerable as I hated 106 and park.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
That isn't the flip side of anything. That's one woman's opinion based off of her own isolated experience.

There are more blacks moving from Georgia to Texas than there are those going in the opposite direction.
How do you know this?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That was only tolerable as I hated 106 and park.
Free was easy on the eyes. If I was flipping channels, I'd at least watch 106 & Park until they went to the video or commercial break.

After the Viacom takeover, BET cut back its news programming, dropped Teen Summit, introduced BET Uncut and ramped up the ignorance even more with College Hill. A lot of people were done with BET even before the Viacom takeover but it became nearly impossible for any self-respecting Black person to admit they watched BET after 2001 or so.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:42 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Has anyone mentioned Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills California as Black Meecas yet?? I believe they have high incomes and high home ownership rates there.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Which version of BET are we talking about? Donnie Simpson, Video Soul, Teen Summit, Ed Gordon BET was pretty cool.
Yeah, that was DC BET.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Free was easy on the eyes. If I was flipping channels, I'd at least watch 106 & Park until they went to the video or commercial break.

After the Viacom takeover, BET cut back its news programming, dropped Teen Summit, introduced BET Uncut and ramped up the ignorance even more with College Hill. A lot of people were done with BET even before the Viacom takeover but it became nearly impossible for any self-respecting Black person to admit they watched BET after 2001 or so.
I still remember all the ruckus over the Viacom acquisition. Black folks were LIVID I tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City