Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 11:05 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Sometimes it's good to just agree to disagree.
Or you could answer the question. I'm actually interested in your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Mo City is more upscale than Cedar Hill and Desoto according to the city-data stats, but those could be wrong.

Don't forget about the 1960 area. That area gives me Snellville and parts of Stone Mountain.
I cant believe you said that to Peter bro SMH. But your right, Frenso is close to 60% and Missouri City is close to 50% (Fresno & Missouri City are SW suburbs of Houston). Stafford is about 30% as well which is a SW suburb, also Hiram Clarke is another area on the SW. Also moving South you have Pearland which is at 25% and then you have Texas City, La Marque, Galveston and Dickenson, which are all over 30% black.

I agree with Spade, the SW suburbs in Dallas (Cedar Hill/Duncanville to be exact) are VERY nice, that's probably the only area in DFW that I would live in to be honest but I do agree with you that DeSoto and Lancaster are not on the same level as Missouri City.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I cant believe you said that to Peter bro SMH. But your right, Frenso is close to 60% and Missouri City is close to 50% (Fresno & Missouri City are SW suburbs of Houston). Stafford is about 30% as well which is a SW suburb, also Hiram Clarke is another area on the SW. Also moving South you have Pearland which is at 25% and then you have Texas City, La Marque, Galveston and Dickenson, which are all over 30% black.

I agree with Spade, the SW suburbs in Dallas (Cedar Hill/Duncanville to be exact) are VERY nice, that's probably the only area in DFW that I would live in to be honest but I do agree with you that DeSoto and Lancaster are not on the same level as Missouri City.
People forget about the northern suburbs and areas as well. I prefer the northern areas to the southern and Galveston County areas.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post

Dallas has a respectable Black middle class presence on the north side, as well.

As much as I admire the Best Southwest area for being what it is, I couldn't see myself living down there. It's just far too suburban and family-oriented. I'd rather build a home in South Dallas proper.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:21 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not talking about any soul food joint. It doesn't even necessarily have to be a soul food spot. Every large to medium-sized metro that is more than 5% Black will have at least one spot where you can get a big fixin' of greens, macaroni, yams, fried chicken, etc.

Phil & Derek's appears to be closer to the mark though.

I was going to say Miss Shirley's in Baltimore but I discovered the owner isn't Black (and never was). Boston used to have Bob the Chef's but that is now gone. Philly has Ms. Tootsie's.
a friend of mine told me he didnt know of any soul food restaurants in boston (which sounds like a shame). for black owned there are highland creole cuisine, sunrise cuisine, flames ... which are technically black owned.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It was another one before that one. LOL.
Yeah, well I've had a number of characters on here.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Dallas has a respectable Black middle class presence on the north side, as well.

As much as I admire the Best Southwest area for being what it is, I couldn't see myself living down there. It's just far too suburban and family-oriented. I'd rather build a home in South Dallas proper.
Is it on the scale of Houston's?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
I think estimates may go either way at the end of the decade. Houston is now starting to get its name out there to an extent like Atlanta has/is.

I hate that Dallas isn't getting the same spotlight like Houston is getting; the black media, for the most part, is on Houston's side more so than Dallas'. Even my dad (who's an Atlanta hyper) has heard how Houston is more black friendly than Dallas.
Houston always had its name out there. Trust most Blacks know about Houston. Atlanta is in a perfect location to go along with their offerings. Atlanta is a day trip away from Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, New York, Miami. Locations where people could move to and still not be more than a day away from their family. Not to mention the History that it has with the rest of the South.

DFW is more popular for Midwestern and Western Blacks than Houston. Lots of Black Detroiters in the metroplex. Houston is more popular with Southern and Eastern Blacks than DFW. I could be wrong but Houston has more educated Blacks than DFW. However, many feel the DFW areas are better for families.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wouldn't consider that the "premiere" Black-owned restaurant. By "premiere," I mean a Black-owned restaurant that has a chef rather than simply cooks. It will usually have a wine list, hors d'oeuvres, things of that nature.

I like Bus Boys a lot. He's built a good model as far as incorporating diversity into his businesses.
Did you look into Lucille's too?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston always had its name out there. Trust most Blacks know about Houston. Atlanta is in a perfect location to go along with their offerings. Atlanta is a day trip away from Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, New York, Miami. Locations where people could move to and still not be more than a day away from their family. Not to mention the History that it has with the rest of the South.

DFW is more popular for Midwestern and Western Blacks than Houston. Lots of Black Detroiters in the metroplex. Houston is more popular with Southern and Eastern Blacks than DFW. I could be wrong but Houston has more educated Blacks than DFW. However, many feel the DFW areas are better for families.
I understand.

Houston definitely has its share of blacks from Louisiana. My word!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City