Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 11:05 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Atlanta provides the superior black experience and Houston is black with an international flavor. It depends on what one is looking for.

Being a black professional in either city is simply better than being one up here in the Twin cities. The black population up here isn't large to being with, and many are immigrants from Africa or lower income blacks who migrated here to better their situations. So say if one is a black professional up here and is in to hip hop, certain types to theatre, any kind of women but with a preference of educated black women, enjoys all cuisines but was raised on black(which tends to be southern influenced) food, your options are limited here. Houston and Atlanta has all those things in abundance and that's what I meant by "take it a step further", although Atlanta might have slightly more. I just like the balance of both areas, where there are many blacks as well as many people of other races.
The Twin Cities seems to be an interesting case. No it's not as Black as Atlanta, DC, NYC, Houston, Dallas, etc., but I know Southern-born Black folks who have moved there and absolutely love it and it has also produced some notable Black musical artists, most notably Prince and Mint Condition. So it somewhat piques my interest on that front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ask me what. And what are you talking about with Shade? Thought only females use that word.
Nah, it's kinda mainstream now.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Atlanta provides the superior black experience and Houston is black with an international flavor. It depends on what one is looking for.

Being a black professional in either city is simply better than being one up here in the Twin cities. The black population up here isn't large to being with, and many are immigrants from Africa or lower income blacks who migrated here to better their situations. So say if one is a black professional up here and is in to hip hop, certain types to theatre, any kind of women but with a preference of educated black women, enjoys all cuisines but was raised on black(which tends to be southern influenced) food, your options are limited here. Houston and Atlanta has all those things in abundance and that's what I meant by "take it a step further", although Atlanta might have slightly more. I just like the balance of both areas, where there are many blacks as well as many people of other races.
I like this post.

I'm just impressed everyday that in Houston you can be black all day long but can step be amongst diversity; blacks here can literally have our cakes and eat them too.

I think you would do great here or in Atlanta.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Twin Cities seems to be an interesting case. No it's not as Black as Atlanta, DC, NYC, Houston, Dallas, etc., but I know Southern-born Black folks who have moved there and absolutely love it and it has also produced some notable Black musical artists, most notably Prince and Mint Condition. So it somewhat piques my interest on that front.
I see you giving Dallas a little shine.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM

574 posts, read 689,823 times
Quote:
Yes, the Twin Cities area is great and I wasn't trying to down it any way. Actually, I love it up here your statement is definitely true. I was just saying that options here are limited in comparison to those cities.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I see you giving Dallas a little shine.
Dallas looks like it's doing its thing. I'll be there for work next week so I'll get to experience a bit of what it offers firsthand on that front.

Quote:
Yes, the Twin Cities area is great and I wasn't trying to down it any way. Actually, I love it up here your statement is definitely true. I was just saying that options here are limited in comparison to those cities.
Gotcha. I told a friend of mine that I'd have to come out and visit sometime and see what it's all about.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:14 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
No. The word is a unisex word.
So why would one need to ask me about DFW blacks when you can visit yourself instead of going off what you hear on City-Data.com

Old 10-19-2015, 11:20 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
BajanYankee provided great stats earlier in this thread, but I'm wondering if he could provide stats on the growth of Blacks with college degrees in each metro from, say, 2006-2012? Cities like Houston and DC experienced tremendous growth among college-educated Millenials in particular (of any race), while cities that were hit hard during the recession like Atlanta and Charlotte didn't show much growth among this group, but I'm wondering what the growth in Black college-educated people, Millenials or otherwise, was for various cities.
This can help a little bit: BlackDemographics.com | Educational Attainment

BlackDemographics.com | EDUCATION

Old 10-19-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So why would one need to ask me about DFW blacks when you can visit yourself instead of going off what you hear on City-Data.com
Well, I've visited before. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City