Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:53 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,379,536 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming since you live in SF, you want to keep it somewhat liberal. And you mentioned hills/mountains as being ideal places. So that narrows down enough places that I can think of cities. I honestly have NO idea about a motorcycle scene though. Sorry.

Asheville, NC is small, but always seems to have more going on than Knoxville. It's in the mountains so close to nature. And it's liberal.

Raleigh also. Further from mountains, but a bigger city with more to do. Still liberal. Affordable. I have a few friends from SF that moved there for tech jobs in the triangle actually and they love it.

Agree with Austin, Atlanta, Hampton Roads.

Basically, I would just say the southern Appalachians and states touching them as a whole. First off, you have family in Knoxville. It might be too small, but living within a few hours drive/ride might be nice. Atlanta, Charlotte, Asheville, Raleigh, Nashville, Louisville. None of those are that far from Knoxville or the mountains, they're bigger with more stuff to do, they're liberal, and they're relatively affordable (Nashville probably being most expensive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:45 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,918,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger302 View Post

1) MUST have a decent motorcycle club racing scene. It's what I do, it's why I work. It's more than just a hobby, it's my passion. We have a super competitive club here in the bay/norcal area and I don't want to have to drive 8 hours to the nearest track.

My mother and sister currently live in Knoxville and I've been out to visit them - I like the area well enough, but the town itself was small, not much to do if you're not a tourist, and a poor job market, and there are no race tracks anywhere remotely close by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Have you considered Portland or Seattle at all? Similar vibe to what you're used to in SF, but much less expensive COL wise.
Considering Portland's noise ordinance was getting my neghbors in trouble for having a leaf blower that was too loud I doubt you could get away with a bike.

Seattle's COL is headed for SF prices (around Boston prices at the moment). Not sure about bik clubs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Asheville, NC is small, but always seems to have more going on than Knoxville. It's in the mountains so close to nature. And it's liberal.
The Asheville area has casual riders clubs, but I'm not sure of about a racing scene. There's amateur stock car going toward Greenville.

In Asheville the city itself I'm not sure if I've ever seen a bike period.

Although the job market here sucks. The best bet when it comes to jobs here is either have your own thing going or get in at one of the hospitals in a Sr. level job.

Asheville feels much smaller than Knoxville so if you thought Knoxville was small...

Lots of nice areas to ride in both NC and SC, but again I'm unsure as far as racing scenes go.

Maybe start looking into FL? At least if you picked Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa-St. Petersburg, or Miami that would put you near Daytona.

Miami is the only place that would come close on nightlife though.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:21 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,622,317 times
I must be easily amused because there seems to be plenty to do in Knoxville if you aren't a tourist. It's the tourists who might get bored but they can go to Gatlinburg.

But no moto racing so I can understand why its not on your list. Where are the moto racing venues? Seems like you could start with that and see which areas meet your other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City