Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM

125 posts, read 579,128 times

Advertisements

Who here has lived on both for at least a year? What were the BIGGEST differences you noticed?

People -
Climate - well I guess that's a no-brainer, we all know the differences, the main ones being more snow in the NE and the humidity all down the east coast

Work ethics?

Attitudes?

Any other subject?

Maybe this thread has been done before, but I am relatively new to this forum. I grew up in the NE, lived in the Southwest for a while, and have now been on the west coast for over a year. I have my own observations, which I will share, but am curious about others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,432,876 times
Technically I haven't lived on both coasts since the furtherst west I have lived was Colorado/New Mexico so my answers are specific to that geographic region. I grew up in CT and have since moved back but have also lived in Florida.

The climate is a big difference, but that depends where on the east/west coast you are. Sure New England can get humid for a handful of days in the summer but it's got nothing on Florida with their year round humidity. The humidity there is brutal. I do love the dryness of the southwest, the weather there is great. I got to have seasonal changes without the humidity. I loved it.

The biggest difference I saw was the work ethic...start times for work were mere suggestions in the west where on the east coast everyone was prompt and on-time. I was considered the hardest worker in my office in the west, mainly because I showed up and was on time regularly. Also the pace is much, much slower in the west. I would walk into a grocery store and a cashier would finish reading an article in a magazine before checking out my pile of stuff. In the east workers snap to attention the second you get in line.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,397,436 times
The areas are simply too big to generalize about.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,508,002 times
This has been done before, but hey, I'll do it again. But I have not lived on the West Coast for at least a year...

I pick the East.

Much more diverse weather--tropical, snow, Fall.

Much more history--We all know this.

Imo, better cities--other than SF, the WC cities don't appeal to me.

Better culture--More diversity.

Food--Italian, Carribean, everything world-class under the sun. You won't find a good real Italian-New York pizza place in LA or SD. But you will find good, real Mexican or Chinese on the East Coast.

Landscape--Obviously nothing like the West Coast, but it's still beautiful, especially when at a seaside restaurant in a fishing village with the saltwater aroma in the air. Who needs landscape when you have that? Civilization, baby.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:52 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,016,659 times
I've lived on both.

I pick the West.

Climate: The diversity of climates in the West puts the East to shame. There are no places in the East that you can be in your pool surrounded by palm trees in the winter, while looking at snow-capped mountains. The micro-climates of SoCal are absoultely great. There's something for everyone.

History: The West has quite a bit of history as well. The Native Americans, Mexicans, Pioneers, we have it all.

Cities: I will admit that a lot of cities in the West don't garner the same respect as cities in the East. Of course, we have Seattle, San Francsico, and Los Angeles, which are all unique, world-class cities in their own rights. However, even smaller cities Portland, Boise, Salt Lake City, Denver, Albuquerque, have their own unique factors that you DEFINITELY wouldn't be able to find back East.

Culture: Depends on what culture means to you. Not everyone views "culture" as pretentious world-class museums, snooty art galleries, or trendy plays and operas. There is plenty of diversity is culture in the West; from the museums in LA and SF to the art galleries in Scottsdale and Santa Fe to the Wild West culture of many rural towns in WY, MT, NV, ID, and CA.

Food: The West wins hands down. I am from Central New Jersey, and I have heard the argument from East Coasters saying difficult it is to find a good slice of pizza or a good cheesteak out west. There are excellent pizza places out here and excellent places where you can get a steak sandwich. Additionally, we have Mexican food that would put anyplace on the East Coast to shame, and diverse Pacific Rim cuisine, as well.

Landscape: Simple. West Coast wins for obvious reasons.

The West Coast is definitely laid back compared to the East. People out here GENERALLY don't take themselves as seriously, but still manage to be productive citizens. People on the East Coast tend want to get straight to the point as quickly as possible, often leading to the stereotype that we're unfriendly and unapproachable. Here on the West Coast, that whole rush everywhere, get straight to the point attitude is virtually non-existent.

To me, there are few things that the East Coast offers that the West can't meet or exceed.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:13 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,096,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I've lived on both.

I pick the West.

Climate: The diversity of climates in the West puts the East to shame. There are no places in the East that you can be in your pool surrounded by palm trees in the winter, while looking at snow-capped mountains.
The only reason you can't look at snow-capped mountains during the winter in the East is simply because we don't have many mountains. If anything, I'd say the diversity of climates is almost the same:

Maine on down to Delaware=harsh winters/hot summers
Florida/Georgia region have beautiful winters

I was stationed out West for half a year and it seems: you guys definitely have more in the way of deserts

Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Cities: I will admit that a lot of cities in the West don't garner the same respect as cities in the East. Of course, we have Seattle, San Francsico, and Los Angeles, which are all unique, world-class cities in their own rights. However, even smaller cities Portland, Boise, Salt Lake City, Denver, Albuquerque, have their own unique factors that you DEFINITELY wouldn't be able to find back East.
...And I could say that Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, Nashville, etc. ALL have qualities you couldn't find in the West so what does that really mean besides the obvious fact that they're just different?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 PM

As Jakedog put it: These two regions are too geographically large to generalize. The state of California alone makes up approx. 75% of the West

Old 09-27-2007, 05:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Id go with the east coast to: the cities have more 'soul', if you will. I like the cuisine better that Ive sampled on the east coast as well. COL seems equal on both coasts, so in that aspect theyre similar. Id prefer the east coast also for sports teams and venues and nowhere on the west coast can offer anything like NYC. I also prefer the beaches on the east coast, theyre more accessible (no monster cliffs) and generally more attractive, particularly in Florida. Id choose the west coast for weather though (south of Seattle and Portland of course lol), thats about it. Both coasts are succeptible to natural disasters, so there is another tie in that aspect.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,330,620 times
I am so sick of this "bicoastal" attitude I feel like punching something (or someone) if I hear it again. There's a WHOLE country in the middle, folks! And I'm not just talking about the midwest. Ever heard of the Mountain West, people???!! Sheesh-- the ignorance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City