Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Queen of the Mississippi River
New Orleans 37 32.17%
Memphis 3 2.61%
St. Louis 26 22.61%
St. Paul / Minneapolis 49 42.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:29 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I said anything but the founding
Ahh sorry. But how is Memphis more similar? I'd like to know. Their culture doesn't seem anything like New Orleans or Mobile. Far more Mississippi and Arkansas vibes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Fine New Orleans is a Mississippi River city... I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
It was just pointless to say that. Baton Rouge is right up river and I lived in New Orleans. My knowledge of nola is more tha enough to know it's a Mississippi river city as much as gulf coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 05:54 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ahh sorry. But how is Memphis more similar? I'd like to know. Their culture doesn't seem anything like New Orleans or Mobile. Far more Mississippi and Arkansas vibes.

It was just pointless to say that. Baton Rouge is right up river and I lived in New Orleans. My knowledge of nola is more tha enough to know it's a Mississippi river city as much as gulf coast.
The Industry is similar, Memphis, St Louis, New Orleans, Louisville were all major ports. Many more Catholics than the rest of the South.

Music really travelled up the Mississippi with the Riverboats. Also St Louis and Louisville share a historical black Population that the non river counties in their region do not have. (and the Twin Cities don't have either).

Also the pageantry of the old South "aristocracy" seems like it only lives on in those River Cities.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The Industry is similar, Memphis, St Louis, New Orleans, Louisville were all major ports. Many more Catholics than the rest of the South.

Music really travelled up the Mississippi with the Riverboats. Also St Louis and Louisville share a historical black Population that the non river counties in their region do not have. (and the Twin Cities don't have either).

Also the pageantry of the old South "aristocracy" seems like it only lives on in those River Cities.
So was Mobile, and Mobile has more Catholics too. Well Mobiles black population is just as high as Memphis' there's plenty of aristocracy in other southern cities, just that the river wasn't the reason for their fortune. Mississippi is full of it, away and near the river.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
So was Mobile, and Mobile has more Catholics too. Well Mobiles black population is just as high as Memphis' there's plenty of aristocracy in other southern cities, just that the river wasn't the reason for their fortune. Mississippi is full of it, away and near the river.
Mobile isn't exactly representative of the Gulf coast though, New Orleans is more like St Louis than Tampa or Corpus Christi or even Pensacola. Also that area of MS you're referring to is called the delta for a reason.
Go beyond NOLAs direct sphere of influence and the Gulf is very different

Old 05-14-2018, 06:37 PM

1,347 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Saint Paul Minnesota do not stack up against st. Louis Memphis or NOLA.
That's debatable

Old 05-14-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Mobile isn't exactly representative of the Gulf coast though, New Orleans is more like St Louis than Tampa or Corpus Christi or even Pensacola. Also that area of MS you're referring to is called the delta for a reason.
Go beyond NOLAs direct sphere of influence and the Gulf is very different
How's it not?

Well sure, I can see how New Orleans is historically more similar to St Louis than a relatively brand new city, however that doesn't make Memphis more similar to New Orleans than Mobile. Again, what makes Memphis more similar to New Orleans. Black population, aristocracy, and catholic are all moot.

There is evidence of that outside the delta as well.

New Orleans gulf coast culture (Houston/Lake Jackson to Pensacola) is quentissential gulf coast. It's oil, fishing and shrimping boats, Mardi Gras, etc. The only other significant population center is Tampa, and I'm not seeing Tampa as a center for culture or anything specially dealing with the gulf coast. There's also no real other population centers around Tampa, on the coast for Tampa to influence.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
How's it not?

Well sure, I can see how New Orleans is historically more similar to St Louis than a relatively brand new city, however that doesn't make Memphis more similar to New Orleans than Mobile. Again, what makes Memphis more similar to New Orleans. Black population, aristocracy, and catholic are all moot.

There is evidence of that outside the delta as well.

New Orleans gulf coast culture (Houston/Lake Jackson to Pensacola) is quentissential gulf coast. It's oil, fishing and shrimping boats, Mardi Gras, etc. The only other significant population center is Tampa, and I'm not seeing Tampa as a center for culture or anything specially dealing with the gulf coast. There's also no real other population centers around Tampa, on the coast for Tampa to influence.
Houston is not known for its Music, St Louis, Memphis and New Orleans are. Their Foods heavily influence each other, Houston is not known as a center of African American Culture, Memphis, St Louis, New Orleans are.

Mobile is a stupid comparison, its like Albany vs NYC or Portland vs Boston. You can't say Boston dominates East Coast Culture because look at Nantucket's similarities. Portland is in Boston's Orbit.

That's the same argument with Mobile vs New Orleans. Corpus Christi, Tampa, Naples, Pensacola, Houston, Brownsville etc. are very different from New Orleans, yes, Mobile, and Morgan City is very similar to New Orleans because New Orleans is their cultural center or Gravity.

Post Katrina Houston might have a bit stronger of a NOLA connection than the past but its still less than Memphis.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Houston is not known for its Music, St Louis, Memphis and New Orleans are. Their Foods heavily influence each other, Houston is not known as a center of African American Culture, Memphis, St Louis, New Orleans are.

Mobile is a stupid comparison, its like Albany vs NYC or Portland vs Boston. You can't say Boston dominates East Coast Culture because look at Nantucket's similarities. Portland is in Boston's Orbit.

That's the same argument with Mobile vs New Orleans. Corpus Christi, Tampa, Naples, Pensacola, Houston, Brownsville etc. are very different from New Orleans, yes, Mobile, and Morgan City is very similar to New Orleans because New Orleans is their cultural center or Gravity.

Post Katrina Houston might have a bit stronger of a NOLA connection than the past but its still less than Memphis.
Houston has a popular genre of hip hop called screw but I get what you mean. What music in St. Louis? Also didn't know it was a center of black culture. Houston is though, now at least. I lived there and I'm black.

That Boston comment doesn't equate to my argument. Just because Mobile lies within the influence of New Orleans doesn't diminish it's similarities. How silly would "Boston isn't that similar to Cambridge because its next door, it's much more like Honolulu" be?

You proved my point though.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:44 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:

Yes, Louisville is a port, but not on the Mississippi. Shall we expand our discussion to Evansville, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh?

Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
The Twin Cities need the crutch of 27 locks and dams to even be considered as a player on the Mississippi River. New Orleans can be the Queen of the Mississippi -- maybe it's the Dowager Queen. St. Louis is the King -- literally (Louis IX) and figuratively; called the Lion of the Valley. The arrival of the huge flow coming from the Missouri River at St. Louis is what makes the Mississippi River what most people imagine it to be...broad and free-flowing Memphis is largely the child of St. Louis and New Orleans -- a Princess, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City