Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:08 PM

354 posts, read 628,748 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, I am back after a 3 year hiatus lol. I had forgotten my password and login. Now that I am back, which of these two Carolina cities do you think is better and offers more in terms of growth, business, amenities, & opportunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 03:36 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,429,067 times
They are pretty similar.

The main difference is Greenville has a massive university near downtown and Florence has a smallish one with the main campus 5-10 miles to the east of downtown. The downtown in Greenville is the bar district for the college kids which may or may not appeal to you.

Florence is right on I-95 and Greenville is a good distance from I-95. Florence may have greater potential for growth due to the location on 95 but I doubt it would be significantly more than Greenville.

Greenville has a sizable river flowing through its downtown and Florence does not.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:03 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,229,133 times
Greenville, NC is growing at a much faster rate than Florence despite lacking direct interstate access. Having a significant state university with East Carolina and a regional medical services hub is a significant advantage for Greenville. Being located right along I-95 doesn't seem to have helped most places in the Carolinas, as most of the counties along the highway are among the least prosperous parts of both states.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,429,067 times
Florence is much larger than the other cities / towns along 95 in SC. My point is specific to Florence. I-20 also ends/starts in Florence.

Most of 95 is going through farmland areas of SC, not near a city / town.

There are also a lot of people passing through Florence to get to Myrtle Beach. I could see it developing into more of a retirement city than it currently is as MB gets more congested.

When discussing Florence's job outlook, I would also include Hartsville, Lake City and the Pee Dee region in general. For example, a lot of people living in Florence work at Sonoco or Duke Energy's nuclear power station in Hartsville . These are two of the best employers in the state that kind of fly under the radar. Hartsville itself is a nice small town with a lake.

Florence is a major regional medical hub.

ECU is no doubt bringing in some jobs in certain sectors that Florence probably won't get. It seems like every time I hear about Greenville it is mostly about ECU. That could be good or bad depending on your view. I personally wouldn't want to live in a college town like that if I didn't attend that college. I could make an exception for Charlottesville due to its location in the mountains and a few others.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-02-2018 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 06:55 PM

Remember, Greenville is not only home to a major University, We have one of the largest medical districts in the state of North Carolina too. Vidant Medical Center plays a large part in not just Greenville but in the whole Eastern North Carolina region. So with that being said Healthcare is #1 in Greenville, follow by Education.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:25 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,911,430 times
Florence... easily.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Florence... easily.
Care to explain?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:22 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,545,290 times
Familiar with both cities. Have many relatives who live in or near both. Definitely Greenville. Greenville is larger, growing faster, very healthy university and health care presence. About the only think Florence has over Greenville has over is I-95/I-20 going through town. Other than that, Greenville for sure.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,911,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Familiar with both cities. Have many relatives who live in or near both. Definitely Greenville. Greenville is larger, growing faster, very healthy university and health care presence. About the only think Florence has over Greenville has over is I-95/I-20 going through town. Other than that, Greenville for sure.
Nothing in Greenville but ECU. Let's be real. Even ECU alums quickly skate out of town after games, and say they wouldn't live there.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I hear nice things about Florence too though, what are some of the issues that Florence has for the reason it not booming like it should have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City