Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Queen of the Mississippi River
New Orleans 37 32.17%
Memphis 3 2.61%
St. Louis 26 22.61%
St. Paul / Minneapolis 49 42.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:43 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times

Advertisements

What City (metro) deserves to be the queen city of the Mississippi?
New Orleans- at the base of the river with its long history of being the big city on the river, great skyline

Memphis- don't know much about it other than BBQ and Elvis

St. Louis- Larger than both New Orleans and the Twin Cities at one point, the gateway to the west, great history and historic density. Forest Park! Light rail.

St. Paul- a river city at its core, originally named "Pigs Eye"! Now has a diverse economy but still retains its historic charm, Grand Avenue. light rail. The largest airport.
I supposed you need to count Minneapolis (the mill city on the river) as part of St. Paul, but whatever.

History
Economy
Urban Neighborhoods
Parks
Brightest future
Etc...

Last edited by JMT; 09-24-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
It'll probably be between New Orleans and Minneapolis users posting links that show that they somehow are the "Queen" of the Mississippi and a couple STL guys to come in to explain the urban and historical significance of St. Louis and the Mighty Mississippi. Memphis will get some honorable mention from most people because they feel sorry for it.

Thread over.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:27 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
Minneapolis isn't really a river city though, it is on the river but not of it. St Paul is a different story, but on its own it isn't a city of the same magnitude as St Louis or New Orleans.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
I'm guessing St. Louis will be a contender just because of the large presence of people on here form St. Louis/ppl from STL seem to have way more city pride than the average American, but from someone who is an outsider to that part of the country I will say:
1. New Orleans for sure
3. Minneapolis
3. St. Louis(a pretty close call between STL and MInneapolis)
4. Memphis

Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
The Upper Mississippi is a completely different kind of culture from the Lower Mississippi, and I think when most people imagine the river they are probably thinking of the Lower Mississippi. The Upper Mississippi is very much a "vacationland" sort of recreational amenity. It's part of the Northwoods and the Driftless throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa (and into Illinois). The Lower Mississippi (and the lower part of the Upper Mississippi, really) was and in some ways still is more of an industrial and cultural corridor.

MSP is and has always been the heart of the Upper Mississippi, and New Orleans is and has always been the heart of the Lower Mississippi. St. Louis and Memphis grew up as the upstream destinations of musical, artistic, and cultural ideas developed by the incredibly vibrant black community of New Orleans. After St. Louis those ideas mostly shifted north to Chicago and on to New York, but certainly some of it made it to St. Paul (and, by extension, Minneapolis).

In terms of relationship to the river, New Orleans is definitely the winner. In terms of being a city for people to live in in 2015, I don't think it's terribly controversial to point to MSP as the best functioning of the four.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
^ Good summary

I picked the Twin Cities as cities. NOLA is more associated with the delta and lower Mississippi, and like steel said, you can't escape the Twin Cities influence on the Upper portion. NOLA is probably the "queen," but TC's are my vote for best city.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,743 times
I perfectly understand why the Twin Cities would be picked as the best metro, but Queen of the Mississippi? Come on, it doesn't belong in this conversation at all...

Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
MPLS-St.Paul has a very decisive advantage in regards to the economy, skyline and brighter future so I would say Minneapolis.

New Orleans and St.Louis can battle it out for the most urban city while St.Paul isn't too shabby either.

Parks--I'm not sure on this one.

*My final vote goes to Minneapolis-St.Paul*

Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I perfectly understand why the Twin Cities would be picked as the best metro, but Queen of the Mississippi? Come on, it doesn't belong in this conversation at all...
Well, might have something to do with the fact that the Mississippi River has its headwaters in Minnesota; the Twin Cities are the biggest metro on the Mississippi; Minnesota has the most miles of the river; and your unfamiliarity with the Upper Mississippi. Here are the top cities, by population, along the Mississippi:

Minneapolis-Saint Paul 3,615,901
St. Louis 2,900,605
Memphis 1,316,100
New Orleans 1,214,932
Baton Rouge 802,484
Quad Cities, IA-IL 382,630
St. Cloud, MN 189,148
La Crosse, WI 133,365

I think we can say the Twin Cities are the capital of the Upper portion, St Louis the Middle, and either NOLA or Memphis (I say NOLA) for the Lower portion. I go NOLA overall, just because it's at the delta and all the history there - but let's not underestimate the middle and upper stretches, which everyone grew up reading about via Mark Twain etc.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, might have something to do with the fact that the Mississippi River has its headwaters in Minnesota; the Twin Cities are the biggest metro on the Mississippi; Minnesota has the most miles of the river; and your unfamiliarity with the Upper Mississippi. Here are the top cities, by population, along the Mississippi:

Minneapolis-Saint Paul 3,615,901
St. Louis 2,900,605
Memphis 1,316,100
New Orleans 1,214,932
Baton Rouge 802,484
Quad Cities, IA-IL 382,630
St. Cloud, MN 189,148
La Crosse, WI 133,365

I think we can say the Twin Cities are the capital of the Upper portion, St Louis the Middle, and either NOLA or Memphis (I say NOLA) for the Lower portion. I go NOLA overall, just because it's at the delta and all the history there - but let's not underestimate the middle and upper stretches, which everyone grew up reading about via Mark Twain etc.
My unfamiliarity eh? I've lived around both the upper and lower Cheese, thanks though... Btw, you know where Mark Twain is from right? I'm aware of the metro sizes, obviously the Twin Cities is the biggest and I've already said (in the post you quoted no less) that I understand why it's considered the best metro, but... It is def not the "Queen of the Mississippi." There is a big difference between cities that are on/by rivers and "river cities." St. Louis and New Orleans ARE the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City