Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's urbanizing the fastest among these four?
Atlanta 10 16.67%
Los Angeles 28 46.67%
Seattle 14 23.33%
Washington DC 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:49 AM

37,909 posts, read 42,125,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Not true. The tallest suburban towers in the U.S. are Concourse Center V & VI (the King & Queen towers) in Atlanta's Perimeter Center area, in Sandy Springs. This is our version of Tyson's, which by the way has had heavy rail for years now.

It's clear that you are beyond passionate about your area, but a little accuracy goes much further than wildly exaggerated and false claims. You need to travel more.
Well in a sense he's right that DC builds bigger and taller outside of its downtown than any other city because DC can't build tall or as a big in downtown because of their height restrictions and lack of land. And in general, DC has done a pretty good job with TOD/TJD outside of the core since Metro rail was first established, although I'm not sure it has done the best in that respect outside of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 12:13 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,649,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well seeing how you must have lived in DC prior to the residential boom when those nodes as you call them started adding 10's of thousands of units with 40k-50k population density along with the retail that follows, how would you know what they are like now in 2015? You sound very outdated. Very little to walk too....lol...right... I'll wait for you to come back in 15 years like I'll have to do for LA because obviously DC has stayed the same and is going to stay the same over the next two decades while LA explodes.

As for Culver City, how many areas are like that in LA? Why are you talking about on isolated area? DC builds those everywhere surrounding the city. The hard part for most regions is getting past the nimbys that live in the suburbs. Didn't I already say LA would have better boulevards? If Hollywood builds between 50-100 highrise buildings over 20 stories clustered together like a true downtown, then I will agree. Is that what they're doing?
Honestly, though, someone on SSP recently did a photothread walking tour of the Rosslyn Balston corridor. From aerials and afar it looks very urban. On paper it records 40-50K ppsm density along its spine, which is notable. But from the pictures, I was super super underwhelmed. Seemed like a denser version of Peachtree in Atlanta between Midtown and Buckhead. In other words, lots of high rises, use of pink brick is abundant in both cities for some reason, lots of the same chains and regional stores, lots of SUVs with mothers at the wheel, and frankly, for the density, not really a whole lot of people out on the sidewalks or walking around.

Neighborhoods in DC proper, and in abundance in Philly and SF, accomplish slightly higher density with 3-5 story buildings and produce a lot more sidewalk activity. So to see so many high rises and so little activity is I guess not that baffling, but it does play tricks with the mind.

Not 2-3 blocks off of the Rosslyn-Balston spine are single family large lot homes and garden style apartments. The development pattern is really just an improvement (in terms of density/planning) over the patterns in Atlanta, GA. I find Metro DC and Metro Atlanta to be similar in so many regards.

LA on the other hand, while autocentric, has pretty high density off and between its spines. It also has an extensive grid. Wilshire as a spine between DTLA and Santa Monica trumps anything in Metro DC.

Where Metro DC is ahead of the other cities is in handling development rights immediately around metro stations and in zoning/planning for TOD, even going back decades. Atlanta is just now waking up to this (and for that, in my opinion Perimeter is substantially far behind the Tysons curve, in my opinion), and LA is dense enough where just about anything that gets built anywhere is considered urban infill by the standards we are applying to TOD around DC metro stations.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:46 PM

13,744 posts, read 15,827,848 times
Quote:
Because you made a false and ridiculous claim, and now you have convinced yourself that D.C. is NYC Jr. But that is nothing new.

Perimeter Center is heading the same way as Tyson's is, and actually had a head start on this versus Tyson's.

For you to think that L.A. isn't capable of building dense centers around its Metro stations pretty much confirms your mindset.
Wow...really? And I'm being serious by the way. I had no idea, and I stand corrected. Could you please post the master planning documents or links to the comprehensive plan? I haven't been able to find anything on the plan for laying the new urban street grid in Perimeter Center. Also, are they adding new MARTA station's too. I would assume that's the plan too if they are doing what Tyson's has done.

Here is Tyson's for comparison:

Before

After

Bike Plan

Transit Map

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-25-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wow...really? And I'm being serious by the way. I had no idea, and I stand corrected. Could you please post the master planning documents or links to the comprehensive plan? I haven't been able to find anything on the plan for laying the new urban street grid in Perimeter Center. Also, are they adding new MARTA station's too. I would assume that's the plan too if they are doing what Tyson's has done.

Here is Tyson's for comparison:

Before

After

Bike Plan

Transit Map
Well Perimeter already has two or three MARTA stations, but there aren't any real plans to truly retrofit the district a la Tyson's Corner. However there is more TOD planned, a lot residential recently completed/under construction, and the BID has done a good job with improving the streetscape. Here are some related articles:

http://blogs.cresa.com/atlanta/2014/...new-perimeter/
http://blogs.cresa.com/atlanta/2013/...ew-urban-core/
http://www.perimetercid.org/docs/PCI...nal-Report.pdf

Old 09-25-2015, 01:53 PM

9,817 posts, read 7,975,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Perimeter already has two or three MARTA stations, but there aren't any real plans to truly retrofit the district a la Tyson's Corner. However there is more TOD planned, a lot residential recently completed/under construction, and the BID has done a good job with improving the streetscape. Here are some related articles:

Commuter Trail Master Plan Envisions A New Perimeter « Cresa Atlanta Blog
Is the Future of Central Perimeter the Emergence of New Urban Core? « Cresa Atlanta Blog
Yes, it's not the same thing here. Fairfax County is driving the Tyson's rezoning/retrofitting. Perimeter spans two Counties and two cities, so things are more CID driven here.

And there are actually four train stations: Medical Center, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and North Springs.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's not the same thing here. Fairfax County is driving the Tyson's rezoning/retrofitting. Perimeter spans two Counties and two cities, so things are more CID driven here.

And there are actually four train stations: Medical Center, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and North Springs.
True, I tend to think of Pill Hill as its own district although it's technically part of Perimeter.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Are they (Perimeter Center and Tyson's) relatively the same size footprint? If so, then four metro station's should be fine to anchor all the development plans. So what are they doing if not retrofitting? I'm only asking because you compared it to Tyson's which we both know is headed in a completely different direction than its current makeup. Its actually the point of study for many entities around the world because its the first plan of its kind and will be an international model if successful. There are 14 towers under construction in Tyson's right now and the first part of the grid is under-construction.

Tyson's at Full Build-Out

Area: 2.6 sq. miles
Population: 100,000 people
Population Density: 38,461 people per sq. mile
Worker Population: 200,000 people

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-25-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Commuter Trail Master Plan Envisions A New Perimeter « Cresa Atlanta Blog
Is the Future of Central Perimeter the Emergence of New Urban Core? « Cresa Atlanta Blog
Thanks!

Old 09-25-2015, 03:42 PM

571 posts, read 1,177,309 times
I'd say Seattle's edge city of Bellevue is coming along nicely as well. Once light rail finally makes it over from across Lake Washington we'll be in business!

Photo from SounderBruce on skyscrapercity

Old 09-25-2015, 04:19 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,411,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I'd say Seattle's edge city of Bellevue is coming along nicely as well. Once light rail finally makes it over from across Lake Washington we'll be in business!

Photo from SounderBruce on skyscrapercity
Yup sure will, you guys will be the Westcoat version of Houston's toy train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City