Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Buckhead, Atlanta 8 19.05%
Santa Monica 34 80.95%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Basically it has everything to support itself though, Buckhead would be nothing with Midtown and Downtown. Santa Monica has enough housing, tourism, nightlife, and shopping to support itself.
Pretty much. Between commuters, tourists, and beach-goers, Santa Monica has an estimated daytime population of 250,000. It is quite the busy bee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Basically it has everything to support itself though, Buckhead would be nothing with Midtown and Downtown. Santa Monica has enough housing, tourism, nightlife, and shopping to support itself.
Not true at all, and by stating this you obviously don't know Atlanta.

Buckhead is home to the regions financial district, the majority of our luxury hotels and about 90% of our upscale shopping.

It's always best to speak to what you actually know, not to what you've 'heard' or read somewhere.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:14 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
We should start a separate thread on this one.
It's actually pretty urban from Ocean to Lincoln Between Colorado and Wilshire.

Main street is urban. One of my favorite walkable areas, period.

Montana ave is a upscale shopping street.

Wilshire is pretty urban all through it's city limits.

Large parts of Santa Monica blvd and colorado too

Old 09-28-2015, 07:49 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default More urban: Sta Monica or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Not the right comparison. Buckhead is more like Beverly Comparison

^^^ This ^^^
The original comparison is so very far off from being a comparison of 2 areas that share similariites, hence my curiosity as to their choice here in this poll thread.
Beverly Hills & Buckhead share many more similarities but the wild card that makes that even a stretch is the fact of Buckhead's large size in square mileage which includes vast heavily forested, rugged areas of landscape. Because of this fact, any Santa Monica/Buckhead or Beverly Hills/Buckhead comparison here is almost an exercise in futility.
FYI: The green forest canopy of metro Atlanta is almost unparalleled in the U.S. among it's major cities/metros & one of the Atlanta area's chief aspects of charm & beauty.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:56 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
^^^ This ^^^
The original comparison is so very far off from being a comparison of 2 areas that share similariites, hence my curiosity as to their choice here in this poll thread.
Beverly Hills & Buckhead share many more similarities but the wild card that makes that even a stretch is the fact of Buckhead's large size in square mileage which includes vast heavily forested, rugged areas of landscape. Because of this fact, any Santa Monica/Buckhead or Beverly Hills/Buckhead comparison here is almost an exercise in futility.
FYI: The green forest canopy of metro Atlanta is almost unparalleled in the U.S. among it's major cities/metros & one of the Atlanta area's chief aspects of charm & beauty.
So does Beverly Hills. Especially in the Hills.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Not true at all, and by stating this you obviously don't know Atlanta.
Yup. Buckhead is like a city within a city, and has a culture all it's own that is markedly different than the central city neighborhoods. But if someone only gets their info about Atlanta from reality TV, I can see why they would think something like that.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 AM

jamills21
I've been to Beverly Hills and driven all over it & up into the hills, as recently as in June. Can you say the same for your having personally experiened the many far-flung areas of Atlanta's Buckhead area?
Because of the far larger size of Buckhead geographically speaking at 28 square miles, as compared to Beverly Hill's small 5.7 square miles, along with the factor of Buckhead's Chathoochee River boundary area, the green canopy comparison you've cited here of Beverly Hills as being similar, is really off base. I've personally experienced the tree canopy of both to know.
Have you actually been to the extensive river areas of Buckhead I've referred to that are measured in many square miles to even know what I'm talking about? It's a green canopy as in the type of lush, dense, green foliage that is found in dense southeastern U.S. forests, an entirely different forest cover type from that found in the U.S. southwest over into SoCal. It is a fact that a similar or comparable type of cover does not exist in Beverly Hills to the degree that it does in Buckhead.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:27 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
jamills21
I've been to Beverly Hills and driven all over it & up into the hills, as recently as in June. Can you say the same for your having personally experiened the many far-flung areas of Atlanta's Buckhead area?
Because of the far larger size of Buckhead geographically speaking at 28 square miles, as compared to Beverly Hill's small 5.7 square miles, along with the factor of Buckhead's Chathoochee River boundary area, the green canopy comparison you've cited here of Beverly Hills as being similar, is really off base. I've personally experienced the tree canopy of both to know.
Have you actually been to the extensive river areas of Buckhead I've referred to that are measured in many square miles to even know what I'm talking about? It's a green canopy as in the type of lush, dense, green foliage that is found in dense southeastern U.S. forests, an entirely different forest cover type from that found in the U.S. southwest over into SoCal. It is a fact that a similar or comparable type of cover does not exist in Beverly Hills to the degree that it does in Buckhead.
If your arguing that Buckhead is "greener" than BH that is one thing but you said that Buckhead had a rugged terrain and wilderness which BH has too.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
LA rugged terrain
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1062...7i13312!8i6656

ATL rugged terrain
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8570...8i6656!5m1!1e4

Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 AM

I know the Beverly Hills topography & canopy cover from personal experience, both via auto & somewhat from exploration via foot. So, yes, they are basically 2 separate factors.
I earlier wrote regarding Buckhead as having ".. vast heavily-forested, rugged areas of landsape." which you highlighted completely in your reply noting that Beverly Hills did too.
There are more square miles of heavily wooded forest land in Buckhead than there is total square mileage in Beverly Hills.
Just out of curiosity I'll ask again if you been to Buckhead & if so, what part(s) did you see? Have you been to the Chattahoochee River area of Buckhead specifically?
Aside from the geographical area & forest canopy cover differences, the 2 areas do share a startling number of similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City