Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most intense rivalry?
Los Angeles vs San Francisco 39 32.50%
Houston vs Dallas 52 43.33%
Kansas City vs Saint Louis 3 2.50%
Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh 9 7.50%
Minneapolis vs Saint Paul 3 2.50%
Cleveland vs Cincinnati 7 5.83%
Other 7 5.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:15 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,725,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha WRONG yet again.

Creative control is one thing, but actors and writers have ZERO control in distribution. How many incredible actors and singers NEVER get famous? How long have people complained because radio station playlists are now exactly the same across the country?

This is because the industry is run by businessmen, not artists. Capisce?

In fact, Youtube is probably now the biggest launchpad of talent the world has ever known and gives anyone the ability to put their work for the entire planet to see, for free.

Youtube is just one example.

And you can try as much as you like to downplay the Bay Area's rise to prominence in media but you cant stop it. I realiza this is shocking to your sensibilities but Forbes, Vanity Fair, the LA Times and the NY Times etc are all talking about it and have been doing so for a long ass time.

Sorry, but thats life.
I think you're missing a large part of the narrative where studio execs are still mostly based in LA and much of what gets greenlit, not just actors and writers, is still decided in LA. It's been the case that NYC has had different bits of sway in that as well and that's the case to a smaller degree in a few other places, but it's still plurality done in LA. Youtube is interesting because much of the idea of this kind of cultural production democratization and decentralization that the internet at one point represented actually became steadily co-opted over the years where many of the youtube stars and most popular youtube channels, even if started elsewhere, have ended up coalescing in LA (and NYC to a much lesser extent). It plays much more to the opposite point where apparently even with the means and tools of decentralized distribution that youtube ostensibly represents, what ultimately happened was a re-entrenchment of the industry's old habits in new media. It's a bit surprising and a bit horrifying.

And it's understandable that those articles exist--it's a good headline as it's counter to expectation. However, it's a bit of a surface reading that doesn't actually counter much of what Freddy says. Silicon Valley companies setting up production arms in LA isn't that odd--it's been the case for years for NYC conglomerates having their production studios in LA as well. Freddy's still right in that the actual greenlighting and production is actually still done within LA; and that's why what I pointed to earlier that the bigger concern for people on the ground in LA isn't Silicon Valley. It's still the tax incentives creating new and possibly stable enough nuclei of production that could potentially end up being more than just a place to shoot some scenes to get some quick tax savings on production. It was something that people in the industry in Los Angeles thought was a ridiculous notion at the turn of the century. Most people had the idea that it was very much a temporary affair where it was only going to be a few portions of a few shoots trying to save a few bucks and that's impossible for the industry as a whole to relocate in any significant way--that turned out to be the wrong idea and so the industry in LA really has taken a bit of a beating. Interestingly enough, in some ways technologies from the Bay Area and sometimes Bay Area companies directly have helped propped up a portion of it for Los Angeles.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-17-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
You dont follow anything.
After I realize the person Im debating isnt offering any new insight and cant refute what I said, I tend to stop paying attention. True.

Which is why I believe the same basic premise stated in 4 major news outlets( Forbes, Vanity Fair, the LA Times and NY Times)-that media power is shifting from Hollywood to Silicon Valley.

They all report that this has occurred and is occurring.

Oh, and I dont care if you personally agree or not.

Anything else or are we done?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,445,089 times
I did. You choose to ignore it. It's pretty simple what I've been saying.

LA is the leader in pop culture because it creates the content. You can't prove different. All I see Silicon Valley doing is providing platforms for the content. Its not creating anything.

Content is what matters. Not the services. I know the truth hurts, but that's the way it is.

A few random quotes showing one side doesn't help you either. But if that's all you got, that's all you got.

SV is setting up more in LA than vice versa. That's already happening. Its; been happening. And I dont see it stopping.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I did. You choose to ignore it. It's pretty simple what I've been saying.

LA is the leader in pop culture cause it creates it. You can't prove different. All I see Silicon Valley doing is providing platforms for what Hollywood makes for pop culture.

A few random quotes showing one side doesn't help you either. But if that's all you got, that's all you got.
Whereas you arrogantly demand that the rest of us go by your personal opinion alone and that's not gonna happen. Haha as if.

Anything else?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 PM

I'm not demanding. That's whats it is.

You can choose to ignore all you want.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not demanding. That's whats it is.

You can choose to ignore all you want.
No, the collective opinions of established writers and researchers at Forbes, the LA Times, the NY Times and Vanity Fair are more credible than your extremely biased opinion that is clearly based in ego driven, civic-boosterism.

Up north, we demand facts and proof. Blowing hot air doesnt work on people in the Bay Area.

Sorry.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:52 PM

Oh.
So Silicon Valley IS responsible or helps Hollywood create the content for all these new shows people love. the newest blockbusters.
Gotcha. I dont know how they are, but I'm sure you can explain.

Siliicon Valley runs the studios somehow. I dont know they run them, but I'm sure you can provide SOMETHING.

Can you prove content isnt more important?

You have cherrypicked a few quotes. Congrats.

Meanwhile, SV continues to expand in LA. That says alot more than a few random quotes you can throw out there.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:58 PM

Your're probably the biggest booster on the forums. Biased as they come.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Your're probably the biggest booster on the forums. Biased as they come.
Yes, but I **NEVER** make a statement I cant back up with facts, statistics and/ or articles from established media sources.

Take a lesson from that.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:11 PM

That LA isnt the leader in pop culture? How is that not true? Cause forbes? A guy who said google was popular culture?

That LA doesnt create the content? How isnt that true?

These things seem to be common knowledge. I dont need articles for something so simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City