Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most intense rivalry?
Los Angeles vs San Francisco 39 32.50%
Houston vs Dallas 52 43.33%
Kansas City vs Saint Louis 3 2.50%
Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh 9 7.50%
Minneapolis vs Saint Paul 3 2.50%
Cleveland vs Cincinnati 7 5.83%
Other 7 5.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:28 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
That LA isnt the leader in pop culture? How is that not true? Cause forbes? A guy who said google was popular culture?

That LA doesnt create the content? How isnt that true?

These things seem to be common knowledge. I dont need articles for something so simple.
Blah blah blah. And now the last member of the holy trinity of local newspapers, the Washington Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Post
...Tech companies like Netflix are making their own shows and giving old media enterprises like HBO, a run for subscribers. Amazon has created a studio to make its own content...

And even old media executives like Robert Iger, Disney’s chief executive, says it’s only a matter of time before consumers can buy their video entertainment, including ESPN, a la carte. The death of the cable bundle is inevitable...

...Vanity Fair has touted its so-called New Establishment for a while. But with its arrival in San Francisco, Silicon Valley emerges as the new media capital of the world — shaping commerce and culture both...
How Vanity Fair annointed Silicon Valley the new media capital of the world - The Washington Post

So now that's five sources including the 3 most highly respected newspapers in the country, all reporting the same thing.

The Bay Area is emerging as a world media capital at the expense of Hollywood and traditional media hubs.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:32 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,875 times
thats where you're lost.

new media doesnt mean pop culture.

You're talking something completely different. Platforms. Like I was saying.

It's not at the expense of Hollywood. Maybe for ti's traditional platforms. But then you're talking cable channels, which are likely headquartered out of NYC.

There's more movies and shows and musicians than ever before. That's Hollywood. It's not losing anything. I dont know what you're talking about. The platforms are changing. That's it.

When it says Amazon and Netflix are creating theiir own shows....they're not being produced there.

They're being produced and run from LA. And thats what matters. The content.

Last edited by Freddy K; 10-17-2015 at 10:43 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 10:33 PM

14 posts, read 19,589 times
Although Houston vs Dallas is ahead on the polls, in reality its a friendly rivalry (mostly through sports). Just reading through this thread you can see the intensity of L.A. vs S.F. Thats a fierce 'real-life' rivalry as well.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
thats where you're lost. LA was never a media hub. it's a entertainment hub. pop culture leader.

new media doesnt mean pop culture or entertainment at all.
Oh okay, I'll be sure to pass along your words of wisdom to the LA Times and Washington Post-shame on them for making it all up.

Anything else?

Old 10-17-2015, 11:07 PM

Yea, that's exactly what I said.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
k thx.

lol

Old 10-17-2015, 11:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times
Quote:
Don't even bother. Montclair is 100% emotionally invested in the notion that SF has "dethroned" LA, and that anything SF gains is LA's loss, as if the entire world is a vacuum with nothing in it but these two cities.

It's fitting that he turned up on this thread though, given the topic. He puts a fine point on the old adage about the rivalry between the two cities being entirely one-sided.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Don't even bother. Montclair is 100% emotionally invested in the notion that SF has "dethroned" LA, and that anything SF gains is LA's loss, as if the entire world is a vacuum with nothing in it but these two cities.
Nope. I made a statement and backed it up with articles from Forbes, Vanity Fair, the LA Times, NY Times and Washington Post.

Your fellow Angelino followed yalls favorite response: repeat the same thing over and over again, then insult and bully your opponent then try and cyber shame them into agreeing. Yawns. Youd think that people from the "creative capital of the world" would come up with new material.

Quote:
It's fitting that he turned up on this thread though, given the topic. He puts a fine point on the old adage about the rivalry between the two cities being entirely one-sided.
Correct. As I stated its not really a rivalry, but rather a takedown.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:25 AM

We repeat the same thing over and over again cause you choose to ignore the other side of the arguement. You're too biased to realize it.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:42 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,865 times
Charlotte vs every city in the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City