Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 04:51 PM

213 posts, read 278,474 times

Advertisements

Also, Seattle has several cities that border it or are nearby with higher violent crime rates, including Tukwila, Federal Way, Tacoma, Burien, White Center, etc.

Also, outside of the Seattle metro (with a few exceptions) Washington is largely a rural, very low population density state. It makes no sense to compare a large urban city in an urban state to a large mostly rural state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 04:55 PM

213 posts, read 278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Pretty much. I'm willing to beat almost the la murders are gang related. If you're not in a gang, it's pretty chill.

Robberies and assaults scare me as well. Most people aren't killers but they could rob and mug you.

My apt was broken into in Chicago. Things were stolen. It messes with you.
Agreed - in Seattle it seems you hear more about random beatings or people being hit with stray bullets. In 2012 5 people were killed by stray bullets in Seattle. They just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time in the middle of other people's disputes:

Man killed by stray bullet worked at Zillow; 2nd random shooting death | KPLU News for Seattle and the Northwest

There are gangs in the Seattle area, and many of the violent crimes do involve them, but it seems a good percentage don't.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Quote:
Pretty much. I'm willing to beat almost the la murders are gang related. If you're not in a gang, it's pretty chill.

Robberies and assaults scare me as well. Most people aren't killers but they could rob and mug you.
A beat down can damage you for life. It doesn't take much to get unlucky and lose a eye, teeth etc...

My apt was broken into in Chicago. Things were stolen. It messes with you.
I'm sure mugging and break ins are scary. It makes you feel vulnerable.

We've been debating for a long time now. I do understand your points, I'm just trying to communicate the flaws of comparing an average of 400 square miles to an average of 83 square miles. Both LA and Seattle are some of the safest cities in the U.S. considering the size of the cities. This entire debate is really just focusing on the small nuances of both cities, and the inherent flaws of comparing cities of such different sizes and socio-geographies.

No hard feelings, of course. I can be a hard head when it comes to debates.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,439,295 times
It's not really you. It's the way this forum treats la like a punching bag for some reason. La has some issues but it's not as bad or scary as it's portrayed here.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:04 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Quote:
It's not really you. It's the way this forum treats la like a punching bag for some reason. La has some issues but it's not as bad or scary as it's portrayed here.
The West Coast in general is relatively safe. But I did make posts earlier that made it seem like I was saying that LA was a high crime city, but I didn't mean to communicate that. LA is relatively safe for such a populated place. Again, I was going after the way the data is calculated.

And yeah, the City Data forum disses LA, mostly because it doesn't have urban walls of Victorian-style buildings. LA has a very urban build to it, and of course it if happened to preserve its massive streetcar network, everyone would absolutely love LA. LA could've been more "San Francisco" than San Francisco given how massive its transit used to be. But of course, history didn't play out that way and so years of movies depicting LA a certain way had basically brainwashed people (similar to how Seattle is marketed as a very rainy city despite the fact that Seattle actually gets very little inches of rain a year and surprisingly has a really temperate climate.)

But I'm ranting here again, LA's history irritates me because the city never should've gotten rid of its streetcar system. Now it's trying to fight against the decades of stereotypes.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
But I'm ranting here again, LA's history irritates me because the city never should've gotten rid of its streetcar system. Now it's trying to fight against the decades of stereotypes.
When you live here you learn to just laugh off the ignorant stereotyping. The "bleached blond LA girls" one I see on City Data all the time is my favorite. In 6 years here I don't know if I've ever seen a girl with bleached blond hair. Didn't that style go out in the 90s?

Hell, I feel like everyone I know here is either asian or latino with brown skin and black hair. I'm definitely the whitest guy I know in LA lol

Old 10-26-2015, 02:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
When you live here you learn to just laugh off the ignorant stereotyping. The "bleached blond LA girls" one I see on City Data all the time is my favorite. In 6 years here I don't know if I've ever seen a girl with bleached blond hair. Didn't that style go out in the 90s?

Hell, I feel like everyone I know here is either asian or latino with brown skin and black hair. I'm definitely the whitest guy I know in LA lol
The bleached blonds are definitely all over the place in Orange County though- they run in packs, all holding their cell phones in one hand at all times!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:12 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The bleached blonds are definitely all over the place in Orange County though- they run in packs, all holding their cell phones in one hand at all times!
Yeah OC is a different story. A lot of the misinformed LA stereotypes would be spot on describing some of the cornballs in OC.

Orange County is the New Jersey to LA's Manhattan: Suburban, conservative, and full of cheeseball bridge and tunnelers that invade our city on the weekends to get sloppy drunk and annoy us by getting lost and confused on the 1-way streets.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 10-26-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Only in South OC. Definitely not where I lived (I lived in Irvine, Garden Grove and Anaheim).

They all moved out to the 909/951 or out of state.

Again, if you hate LA, that's fine. Just don't try to lie when the numbers are there. If you don't believe the numbers, then you shouldn't believe it for your area either. At some point, this becomes an exchange of irrelevant anecdotes (like the one I stated above) and a bunch of lying. Everything stops being real at that point.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:21 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
>something doesn't fit my version of reality
>WELL YOUR NUMBERS ARE BS ANYWAYS

CD in a nutshell. Why even have a discussion if you're already set in what you think?
Lies, damn lies, and statistics (but only those that don't conform with my preconceived notions.) Having lived in Belltown, it doesn't surprise me at all. From my window I had a nice view of the alley where the prostitutes and drug dealers squabbled over turf, plus there was a party hostel right down the street that got rowdy. Lots of bar fights. Anyone who has lived in Seattle can attest to the property crime, especially, car break-ins. I was pretty fortunate in that I didn't own a car long to have it broken into but broken safety glass lying in the streets isn't exactly a rare sight. They clean it up pretty quickly, but if you lived there (especially Belltown/Capitol Hill) you see it pretty regularly. It's only gotten worse since I was there.

For the most part, it never felt all that dangerous but Belltown/Pioneer Square/Capitol Hill at night do get rowdy. During the day it was just the aggressive panhandling that Seattle tolerates for some reason. Seattle tolerates an awful lot of misbehavior. Given how expensive Belltown was that you had drug deals and prostitution going on in the open was surprising. It's something you don't see in Midtown Sacramento as it's just not tolerated.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-26-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City