Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nashville VS Austin Overall
Nashville 24 58.54%
Austin 21 51.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 AM

182 posts, read 226,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Despite higher cost of living, overcrowding, and traffic, I still prefer Austin over Nashville.

Nashville and Tennessee is too conservative for my taste.
As if Texas is any better????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:34 AM

525 posts, read 718,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
Austin is the liberal mecca in the middle of all red. Tennessee has no real liberal mecca. There is a difference.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:43 AM

592 posts, read 589,967 times
Quote:
Austin is the liberal mecca in the middle of all red. Tennessee has no real liberal mecca. There is a difference.

Really? Texas is a huge state and Austin represents a very small segment of the overall population. While I'd consider Austin quite liberal for southern standards, It'd still be difficult to compare it to places on the west coast.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:20 AM

182 posts, read 226,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Really? Texas is a huge state and Austin represents a very small segment of the overall population. While I'd consider Austin quite liberal for southern standards, It'd still be difficult to compare it to places on the west coast.
Exactly!! Austin is liberal for southern city, that's it. Texas and Tennessee are pretty much the same when it comes to this.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:26 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
Hahahahaha!!!

Old 12-16-2016, 12:14 PM

525 posts, read 718,499 times
Quote:
I've lived in both states. For liberals wanting to stay in the South instead of West Coast and the Northeast, Austin is one of a few ideal places to live. Texas also has other cities where liberals would be comfortable living in. Overall, Texas is more attractive to liberals than Tennessee. Texas won't be red forever due to changing demographics.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:32 PM

592 posts, read 589,967 times
Quote:
I've lived in both states. For liberals wanting to stay in the South instead of West Coast and the Northeast, Austin is one of a few ideal places to live. Texas also has other cities where liberals would be comfortable living in. Overall, Texas is more attractive to liberals than Tennessee. Texas won't be red forever due to changing demographics.
And Tennessee doesn't? Doesn't sound like you've ever been to Tennessee let alone lived. While Tennessee doesn't have any large cities like Dallas and Houston or cities as liberal as Austin, there's quite a bit of people from the coasts moving here as well and many liberals feel quite comfortable. They're mainly mirgrating to cities like Nashville and Chattanooga and while Memphis may not be growing as fast as the others, growth is starting to uptick there as well, with places like Midtown having quite a few liberals. There may not be cities in Tennessee quite as as liberal as Austin but let's not pretend it's some place it's not. Austin is liberal for Texas.

Last edited by jkc2j; 12-16-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
And Tennessee doesn't? Doesn't sound like you've ever been to Tennessee let alone lived. While Tennessee doesn't have any large cities like Dallas and Houston or cities as liberal as Austin, there's quite a bit of people from the coasts moving here as well and many liberals feel quite comfortable. They're mainly mirgrating to cities like Nashville and Chattanooga and while Memphis may not be growing as fast as the others, growth is starting to uptick there as well, with places like Midtown having quite a few liberals. There may not be cities in Tennessee quite as as liberal as Austin but let's not pretend it's some place it's not. Austin is liberal for Texas.
He hasn't. The tired old country redneck image that people keep using who have never been here is played out. I am tired of fooling with people who keep trying portray that Austin is somehow a liberal utopia and Nashville is a conservative city when clearly the voting records and policies of either city show otherwise. Both are liberal southern cities, and it's going to stay just like that. As others have stated, Nashville is rather diverse and continues to attract transplants from the midwest and California (music, fashion, healthcare, automotive industry professionals) etc. Austin is more liberal, but you're kidding yourself if you think it is on par with San Francisco...

Old 12-16-2016, 05:41 PM

247 posts, read 336,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
He hasn't. The tired old country redneck image that people keep using who have never been here is played out. I am tired of fooling with people who keep trying portray that Austin is somehow a liberal utopia and Nashville is a conservative city when clearly the voting records and policies of either city show otherwise. Both are liberal southern cities, and it's going to stay just like that. As others have stated, Nashville is rather diverse and continues to attract transplants from the midwest and California (music, fashion, healthcare, automotive industry professionals) etc. Austin is more liberal, but you're kidding yourself if you think it is on par with San Francisco...
There are plenty of liberals (by southern standards) in both cities. But I think if you're just talking about people you'll run into on a daily basis via your job, etc., you'll find Nashville more conservative overall. I don't find Austin to be that liberal, just more open-minded and less restrictive socially than most places in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City