Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Philadelphia
Houston 185 42.43%
Philadelphia 251 57.57%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I always thought of Houston's City Hall as being in a pretty well-located spot. It is right off the major interstate entrance into downtown, and across the street from the 50 story One Shell Plaza. I'm learning people view things differently. No problem with that.

Regardless, all of downtown Houston is fairly quiet when it comes to pedestrians, as noted in the street views above.
And Houstonians like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 09:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Clearly...

Again, not trying to shade Houstonians, but sidewalks seem superfluous if they're not really being used.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:45 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well that is changing tho thus why you're seeing developments with wide sidewalks and businesses using those sidewalks.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Great - if Houstonians want sidewalks then by golly they can build them!

Old 04-23-2016, 02:45 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times
Quote:
I always thought of Houston's City Hall as being in a pretty well-located spot. It is right off the major interstate entrance into downtown, and across the street from the 50 story One Shell Plaza. I'm learning people view things differently. No problem with that.

Regardless, all of downtown Houston is fairly quiet when it comes to pedestrians, as noted in the street views above.
City Hall is convenient to get to, but not so much a place for pedestrian activity. Its surrounded by underutilized green space (they are working to address that with the new Theater District Master Plan), a public library, the City Hall Annex, and a Performing Arts Venue. Yes, the performing arts venue could draw pedestrians, but the rail line to get there is on the other side of the venue, further north of city hall, and there is a parking garage attached to the venue on the opposite side of the building from City Hall.

Yes, downtown has historically been a 9-5 destination. A place to work at the office and then go home. Not very pedestrian friendly either..
Since you've lived in Houston, I assume you realize the population difference between downtown Houston and Center City..? Downtown Houston has around 3,000 residents. Center City has around 60,000. Though Houston is working on diversifying its downtown.
Currently there are about 2,800 apartments under construction, and over 1,800 new hotel rooms under construction. The Dallas St. corridor redevelopment is almost complete, upgrading infrastructure for a future retail district, along with pedestrian improvements. And the George R. Brown Convention Center is undergoing quite a bit of renovations, including creating a pedestrian plaza between the convention center and the Discovery Green park across the street. They are incorporating retail space on the front of the convention center, facing the park, with room for up to 7 restaurants. All over downtown they are working to make it more pedestrian friendly and attractive to potential businesses/residents.

Theater District Master Plan

Convention Center Renovations

Old 04-23-2016, 03:18 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
With all the pix links, here are a few actual pix.

Skyline with new boardwalk. This Schuylkill River hike/bike trail runs from here for 23 or so miles to Valley Forge:

Reading Terminal Market, one of the city's top tourist draws:

Race Street pier:

Broad Street run, reported to be the biggest 10 mile run in the country:

Independence Hall, birthplace of the United States:

And of course:

(all pix mine)

Old 04-23-2016, 03:30 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
And the hoods!

(my pix)

Old 04-23-2016, 05:19 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
And the hoods!
(my pix)
Lovely Pine! West Mt Airy and Germantown are stunning now with the blooming trees. Do you happen to have Spruce St Harbor Park there in your collection?

I really dislike it when there aren't many pedestrians in the city proper. Kinda depressing, when everyone leaves at 5. Used to bug me when I lived in LA too. (Although that's changed a lot). I love walking around Philly.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 PM

Wow, Pine - are these pictures from your personal collection? If not, where are you getting them?

Old 04-23-2016, 06:26 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that Philly isn't a pretty city in some areas. Personally I think it is. But that's not the only criteria used when a person chooses a place to live. That's why it's pretty impossible to say that Philly is better than Houston or vice versa. For me, Houston would be better than Philly - but not because of looks, it would be because of other criteria - my own personal criteria.

Everyone has their own criteria and it's highly individual. Actually, if the truth be known, I wouldn't want to live in EITHER Houston OR Philly. And that's why I don't.

But the OP has her own criteria and this is what she asked:

Quote:
So for Houston, TX vs Philadelphia, PA I'm looking for your opinion...
-Which is the most diverse in terms of race? I like an area to be so diverse, I can't tell what the majority is.
-Which has the most crime?
-Which has the best Universities? Good community colleges?
-Which has the best housing, or in my case, selection for apartments? (In other words, is the cost worth what you get or can I expect to pay $1300 for a studio apartment like I saw in DC...)
-Which has the best nightlife?
-Which has the best weather?
-Which is the nicer looking city?
-Which has more things to do (museums, attractions, etc)?
-Which, do you think, would be the better city for a single female, nurse, in her mid-20's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City