Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Second biggest hip hop scene after NYC
Atlanta 34 45.33%
Chicago 6 8.00%
Houston 6 8.00%
Miami 3 4.00%
New Orleans 1 1.33%
Bay Area 3 4.00%
Los Angeles 22 29.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:35 AM

9,954 posts, read 6,666,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Atlanta Artist:
Outkast
Goodie Mob
Ludacris
T.I.
Young Jeezy
TLC
Usher
Keith Sweat
Jagged Edge
Future
2 Chainz
Killa Mike
Gucci Mane
Akon
Ciara
Arrested Development
JD
India Arie
Keri Hilson
Janelle Monae
many many more ( Yeah yeah someone is going to say "Yeah but some of those arent lyrical, yes but if you add the city that you are from i guarantee I can find the some non-lyrical artist there)

**We created Freaknik which is a big part of Hip Hop and he helped birthed similar events across the country**

Hip Hop Annual Concerts/events

A3C Festival (Best Hip Hop event in the country)
Afropunk
One Musicfest
Bday Bash
Music Midtown
etc
Several open mic events/etc for up and coming artist daily

Nightlife

We have strip clubs poppin daily so artist can showcase their new hit singles before the rest of the world finds out about it. We probably got the best hip hop nightlife options which give artist chances to advertise their new album to people

Hip Hop Radio Stations: 94.5 & 107.9 (Atlanta Hip Hop) 102.9 & 97.9 Old School Hip Hop, 97.5 & 104.1 (Old School R&B) and 89.3 (underground hip hop late at night on the weekends)

Support

Do the rappers in your hate on other artist a lot? (generally speaking)

THIS IS THE MAIN REASON ******Generally speaking if you want to blow up fast Atlanta is the city to be in. (LA also if you have a pop ish single)

Why?

Atlanta has the best system for hip hop artist because they can go to the strip club and get their single hot in the strip clubs and then it will progress to the nightclubs, then in a few months it will be on the radio and then it will blow up across the country in a couple of months. By that time that song is old to us and new to everyone else we are on another song that is hot locally.

The moral of the story is its just not about what city has the best artist. Its about what city has the best networks to blow up to include local radio stations playing a majority of that cities music, clubs, events, etc. The following are a list of qualifications that said city must have in order to be one of the best scene in Hip hop since nobody posted a criteria.

Does your city local radio stations support new artist? Does your city artist have to go to another city to blow up (generally speaking)

Is at least 50% of the music played on your local hip hop stations from local artist?

Do your local rappers offer a lot of support or a lot of hate to local rappers? Do big time artist in your city try to up blow up other up and coming artist in said city?

What huge events does your city offer to help up and coming hip hop artist? This exposing artist to new potential fans and its a great way to network with other artist.

Overall ranking.....

1. NYC...since they invented Hip Hop even though the NYC radio stations dont play as much NYC hip hop that they used to and its hard for a true NY artist to blow up. Also I dont think NY has any major clubs like The Tunnel from back in the day that constantly had major hip hop artist performing, etc even though they have plenty of "hip hop" clubs. Back in the Day if you were a NY artist all you had to do was be from NY and you were the man. Not that's not the case but we still have to give NYC the crown since they started Hip Hop and they have the best overall artist in Hip Hop.
2. Atlanta...Has the best climate for an hip hop artist to include heavy local radio support, nightlife, hip hop events, no hating (generally speaking), etc.

3. LA...I'm struggling to put LA at number #3. Death Row area LA was the best time that LA shined in Hip Hop. Currently outside of Kendrick Lamar not that many local hip hop artist are blowing up who are from LA even though a few local artist will have party songs that will be popular nationwide. The radio stations dont really support new LA artist and the process to blow up is harder in LA.

4. The Bay area, Houston, Philly (Tie)

The Bay area birthed Too Short, E-40, MC Hammer, etc. Popular rappers from that area help give game to other rappers which helped them blow up nationwide. Houston birthed Screw music, UGK (even though they aren't from Houston), Scarface, etc. Philly definitely should be at this position. I'm not sure who else has blowed up from Philly since Meek Mill but the old school Philly vibe definitely put their mark on Hip Hop. I'm not sure about the local nightclub and radio scenes in those cities. I know KMEL 106 in San Fran will play local artist at night and I know Houston radio stations will support most Houston artist.

5. Chicago has Kanye, Common, Twista and R Kelly. My problem overall with the Chicago scene is that their big rappers that blow up and leave Chicago and move to LA. Plus they don't help other local Chicago artist blow up. The nightclub scene in Chicago isnt good for hip hop artist

Map of cities with the most platinum hip hop albums
http://static.djbooth.net/pics-featu...ap-in-full.jpg

Also traveling to other cities outside your region is a good way to see who has the best scenes. Sometimes not traveling and just staying in your city will make you think said city is more popping that what it is nationwide.
Some of the Atlants rappers are lyrical. T.I. And Ludacris and Outkast for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,960,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The ones in bold aren't Atlanta artists. They moved to Atlanta for the business. It's like saying 8ball and MJG and Tela were from Houston because Suave House was based in Houston but they are from Memphis. Only Jeezy perhaps reps both Macon and Atlanta.
Yeah-Left Eye too. Originally from Philly but moved to Atlanta for the business.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The ones in bold aren't Atlanta artists. They moved to Atlanta for the business. It's like saying 8ball and MJG and Tela were from Houston because Suave House was based in Houston but they are from Memphis. Only Jeezy perhaps reps both Macon and Atlanta.

Well you can say the same for Tupac. By that standard he is an NY artist but moved to the West Coast for business

Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,042,535 times
Houston has the best hip hop culture. But la and NYC is the best. Houston is 3rd.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Houston has the best hip hop culture. But la and NYC is the best. Houston is 3rd.
State your reasons sir

Old 12-17-2015, 08:49 AM

9,954 posts, read 6,666,570 times
Quote:
State your reasons sir
I imagined he's saying its because it's a well hip-hop culture extending beyond the music. Car culture, jewelry, it's own drug all of which got popularized by Houston hip hop

Old 12-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
State your reasons sir
Houston invented syrup sipping, screwed and chopped, made candy paint popular in the south in the 90s, Cadillac slabs also started in Houston. When done right a slab is a nice car. Syrup is used by alot of mainstream artist now from different regions. If you ever witnessed H towns rap culture in person I'm sure you would have not asked me that question.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I imagined he's saying its because it's a well hip-hop culture extending beyond the music. Car culture, jewelry, it's own drug all of which got popularized by Houston hip hop
LA popularized cars and jewelry before Houston did.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
LA popularized cars and jewelry before Houston did.
LA was low riders. Houston was slabs.Mexicans invented low riders anyways. Slabs is deeply rooted in Houston rap culture by the African american community.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:03 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7aELH0U2gkk

A good Houston example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City