Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 05:06 PM

31 posts, read 19,840 times

Advertisements

East Coast shall be the best in hip-hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 05:46 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,222,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Jay was such a beast.

And here I find you in this Motel 6 with all these guns
And all your goons, lined up in adjoining rooms
Like some wild cowboys coming to get me at high noon
But my mind's like a flower in bloom
Peep how my eyes just scower the room
I'm alert, plus I paid the clerk
I got it laid out
You think you the first person I played out, in a 2 hotel town?
Come on now!
I peep your Lexus at you
Left the exit got some connects on that side of town
Money well invested, rudely interrupted
Jamaican accents (Boy you know who you dun f-ed with?)
A gun in your face and that's all you can come up with?
Friend Or Foe '98 is one of my favorite Jay-Z joints!

Old 12-30-2015, 05:57 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Friend Or Foe '98 is one of my favorite Jay-Z joints!
Jay was in "God Mode" in those days.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
When I was in high school, especially 9th grade late 90s, everybody was either a jay-z or DMX fan. You can tell by how they dressed who was a fan of who.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:38 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When I was in high school, especially 9th grade late 90s, everybody was either a jay-z or DMX fan. You can tell by how they dressed who was a fan of who.
It's regional. In 98, I went to 10th grade for a year in Miami, lots of people were DMX fans. But those same folks also were big into Cash Money. I mean 400 degreez shut that Fall of 08 down in Miami and probably throughout the South. The moment I hear a song come on from that album, I instantly go back in time. Cash Money, Ruff Ryders, and Jay Z owned the Fall of 98 nationally but locally for Miami and South Florida as a whole, Trick Daddy's album ran the streets. When I got back to Texas in 99, it seemed all Jay Z. But again, Cash Money was just as popular and the popularity of what different Southern regions had to offer was at its height during that time too.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:26 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,673,453 times
Before Cash Money took over the South ,it was Master P & No limit who need to be given more credit for taking the South mainstream on a nationwide level.P was also one of the first to touch 100 mil plus status !!

Old 12-30-2015, 09:34 PM

Another thing that stood out to me in that era, was that those posthumous albums released by Pac was outselling the rappers who were alive.If he really recorded all that material in a few months than he is truly the best to ever do it period.Ive heard the 7 day theory was done in 2 or 3 days,All eyez on me was done in a week or 2.Amazing work ethic !!!

I think right now were seeing the last bit of fire Atlanta has left until their reign is over with.Would love to see a new rapper from New York challenge Kendrick & j cole for the best emcee title.But the game looks kinda over in that case.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:45 PM

14 posts, read 20,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Schooly D from Philly told crime stories lol

Nobody making a movie about Philly like they did Nwa & Compton, Eazy is the Godfather of Gangsta rap & you could see the influence in the Compton rap scene today & throughout LA rap history,No place has more gangsta rappers than Cali & maybe its due to the Gang violence but when i think of Philly hip hop nobody thinks of Gangsta rap lol,I think about Will smith & the Young guns lmao
Eazy E? Uh NO He coundn't rap nor did he write... PSK was about 52nd & Parkside, and what everyone heard on wax was the tame version of the original jams on the mixtapes Schooly made with the Heat Burners street dj crew. Ice T was making records before NWA, and that NWA & the Posse BS that was released before Easy's first album was nuthin gangsta. Ice STILL credits Schooly as his influence and that HE is the Godfather of the genre...Now NWA & Ice-T took it to another level and did it some justice so to speak.

What gangsta rap was around before PSK?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Before Cash Money took over the South ,it was Master P & No limit who need to be given more credit for taking the South mainstream on a nationwide level.P was also one of the first to touch 100 mil plus status !!
Yeah but that was around 96-early 98. Around the Fall of 98, Cash Money took over quite easily and didn't look back. I think Cash Money was through Universal, so that is probably why. The only CD IIRC that No Limit had out in the Fall of 98 that people got was Snoop's.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:30 PM

FreeThinker,we got past this point in the thread already.

Nobody in Compton was thinking about Schooly D or Philly,No internet out back than for kids thousands miles away to copy someone else style like today.Matter of facts L.A Crips used to bust rhymes about gang violence long before Nwa or Ice T,Eazy was influenced by the city he grew up in & is nicknamed the Godfather of Gangsta rap for a specefic reason.Schooly, ice t & a few others had lyrics about crime before Nwa hit the scene ,But what Nwa did wasnt done before them in a sense of bringing Gangsta rap mainstream & having the heart to rap about it & say F the pigs.L.A & Compton kids in that era was influenced by being the capital of Gang violence & police brutality.

You can credit whoever you want for Gangsta rap, but Nwa impact is way more influential than Schooly d !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City