Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,189,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I was wondering that as well. Maybe to give Ohio more clout than it actually deserves.
Well, by that same logic, why are New York and New Jersey considered one? The scenes/sounds are very similar and integrated, but they're not the same. Redman or Naughty By Nature would never claim NYC and vice versa for NYC artists. By that same token, Snoop Dogg is actually from Long Beach, and The Game/Kendrick are from Compton.

Normally, we always consider the whole metro in C-D discussions, but hip hop is very neighborhood and block-oriented, never mind neighboring cities. Yonkers isn't Bed Stuy, Bed Stuy isn't Harlem, and Harlem isn't East Orange. Where you're from holds a lot of weight in hip hop, and casually lumping different cities together, even if we normally would in any other discussion, should be done with caution. I get that it's all very similar, and that these neighborhoods and adjacent cities all bleed into each other, but I think the separation should still be noted. And I think there's more "separation" for a rapper from North Jersey with NYC than a rapper from the surrounding cities with LA. Joe Budden in "Walk With Me":

**** ain't like I thought it would be
Come to Jersey from New York with me
I know you busy...

I'm letting the labels know that Jersey City is gifted (dog)
When they didn't know that Jersey City existed, but it's cool dog
Certain cats in Jersey City so hateful (Hateful)
And certain cats in Jersey City ain't grateful (Ain't grateful)
All they say is I don't chill anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,042,535 times
NYC by far.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:56 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,810,908 times
J. Cole putting Fayetteville on the map. Not surprising considering many compare him to NAS (easily one of the best ever) so much.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,154,114 times
Atlanta/NOLA stands out considering how small they are compared to LA and NYC.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:27 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,007,109 times
2pac is one of those rare cases that he can't be defined by a region, but if you had to place him somewhere, he'd be a Bay Area/ LA artist.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:19 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,589,435 times
2pac went to the fame school in baltimore but moved to la.

this list seems nebulous
e.g.- bos: would bobby brown, bbd be considered hip-hop (perhaps crossover rap shouldn't count).
did any of the gang-starrs or ed o.g.'s go plat ?

Old 12-17-2015, 04:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,142,800 times
First: Cities do NOT produce hip hop albums.
Second: Who cares?!
Third: What about Neverland Ranch??

Old 12-17-2015, 04:52 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,007,109 times
Yonkers should be included with NYC, but not NJ. Jersey is it's own entity, but Yonkers rappers are about as NYC hip-hop as it gets.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:25 PM

675 posts, read 1,257,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
East coast people, especially people from NYC/NJ....Do you consider Tupac to be a NY or LA artist?
Tupac was a West Coast artist with NY/B-More roots, similar to Kurupt (Philly) and Ice T (NJ). Just like DJ Premier is a NY producer/dj with Texas roots and Waka Flocka is a ATL artist with Queens NY roots. Nicki Minaj is a Queens NY artist with Trini roots and the D.O.C. is a LA artist with Texas roots. DJ Muggs is a LA producer/dj with Queens NY roots. Luda, Da Brat & Shawnna are all ATL artists with Chi-Town roots. Just some examples off the top of the head...

Old 12-18-2015, 11:28 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,567,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Tupac was a West Coast artist with NY/B-More roots, similar to Kurupt (Philly) and Ice T (NJ). Just like DJ Premier is a NY producer/dj with Texas roots and Waka Flocka is a ATL artist with Queens NY roots. Nicki Minaj is a Queens NY artist with Trini roots and the D.O.C. is a LA artist with Texas roots. DJ Muggs is a LA producer/dj with Queens NY roots. Luda, Da Brat & Shawnna are all ATL artists with Chi-Town roots. Just some examples off the top of the head...
It's tricky but he did all that West Coast/Death Row stuff to promote in a large way. He was middle of the pack in NY but he definitely stood out in California when he showed his skill. The reason why I put him in the NY category is because that's what influenced him because he's from there and I really feel that he was going back to that sound but then he died ( Death row East was mainly his family from NJ, He and Big Daddy Kane was working on a project, Tupac was really involved with Boot Camp Clik, he was supposed to do an album with Nas too).

It's kind of silly though to hear Snoop, Dre, other Cali guys in an interview then Tupac start quoting some "Cali love" stuff in a noticeable NYC accent. Even some of the Jersey based Outlawz loved the Cali. Great marketing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City