Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 07:57 AM

150 posts, read 215,344 times

Advertisements

If we are talking city proper than I can say Chicago, just because it's downtown is older, more established and feels denser, but at the same time Chicago doesn't really have anything like Mississauga, North York, Hamilton adjacent to it, all of which have their own dense urban areas. Driving down the QEW/Gardener from Hamilton to Scarborough gives the impression of a way bigger place than wrapping from South Bend to North Chicago (which I did about a month ago).

The next closest major city to Chicago is Milwaukee and even then that's almost 100 miles from city hall to city hall.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:24 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
If we are talking city proper than I can say Chicago, just because it's downtown is older, more established and feels denser, but at the same time Chicago doesn't really have anything like Mississauga, North York, Hamilton adjacent to it, all of which have their own dense urban areas. Driving down the QEW/Gardener from Hamilton to Scarborough gives the impression of a way bigger place than wrapping from South Bend to North Chicago (which I did about a month ago).

The next closest major city to Chicago is Milwaukee and even then that's almost 100 miles from city hall to city hall.
But 10 miles from MSA to MSA.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:28 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I don't get how people can say that Chicago categorically feels bigger than Toronto.

Here are some of my feelings:

Both cities feel fairly similar in size when approaching.

Toronto's skyline (with many high rises) seems to spread out over a larger area. Toronto has lots of high-rises in the suburbs. Whereas in Chicago there are some but the drop-off from downtown to lower-rise is more dramatic.

Toronto's downtown skyline is somewhat denser and has more of the pin-cushion/microchip look.

Chicago's downtown big city avenues are grander, more mature, and therefore more "big city".

Yonge-Dundas Square, which I am not a big fan of, does scream "big city" to a lot of people. So a plus for Toronto. I know Chicago has The Loop but the Union Station district in the lower part of downtown Toronto is fairly comparable in how bustling it is.

Toronto also has a more active theatre district than Chicago does. Again, I am not personally impressed by the cultural authenticity of what's on offer there, but it's still there. And it's still very vibrant.

Big cities to me have their own personalities that permeate the city. On this, Chicago beats Toronto hands down. But this is true of most any large American city compared to a Canadian one, with only a few exceptions.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:09 AM

150 posts, read 215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
But 10 miles from MSA to MSA.
If going by MSA's than every city I listed is literally adjacent to Toronto, in addition to Markham, Vaughan, Ajax, Brampton, etc. All have smallish down towns with office buildings, high rise condos, etc, that you wouldn't find in a Chicago "suburb" like Michigan City, Gary, Aurora, Naperville, etc.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 AM

650 posts, read 868,222 times
I'd say Toronto by only by a hair. I've been to Chicago numerous times so maybe that's why.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:24 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't get how people can say that Chicago categorically feels bigger than Toronto.
To me, Chicago's core looks considerably bigger and grander. The skyline, the avenues, the department stores, the historic structures, the public spaces, the transit terminals, are on another level. There's just more "stuff" in Chicago, from a much bigger airport, to more freeways/rail lines all over the place, and more sprawl reaching deep into the periphery.

The only way I could see that Toronto looks bigger is if you think that more highrise residentials = bigger city. Toronto, as a metro, is clearly much more oriented towards the commieblock typology.

I feel that cities are typically defined by their cores, not their peripheries, so to me, it isn't really a major factor. Plus that would lead to some weird outcomes. One could argue that Prague and Warsaw feel bigger than, say, London, because Prague and Warsaw have peripheries that are almost totally commieblocks, while London has a very green periphery with basically none. Moscow would look bigger than Tokyo under such a worldview.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:15 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times
Toronto now but in the past Chicago

Old 12-24-2015, 01:52 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
To me, Chicago's core looks considerably bigger and grander. The skyline, the avenues, the department stores, the historic structures, the public spaces, the transit terminals, are on another level. There's just more "stuff" in Chicago, from a much bigger airport, to more freeways/rail lines all over the place, and more sprawl reaching deep into the periphery.

The only way I could see that Toronto looks bigger is if you think that more highrise residentials = bigger city. Toronto, as a metro, is clearly much more oriented towards the commieblock typology.

I feel that cities are typically defined by their cores, not their peripheries, so to me, it isn't really a major factor. Plus that would lead to some weird outcomes. One could argue that Prague and Warsaw feel bigger than, say, London, because Prague and Warsaw have peripheries that are almost totally commieblocks, while London has a very green periphery with basically none. Moscow would look bigger than Tokyo under such a worldview.
I can see your point but there is also something to be said for a city that looks like a sea of towers.

As I said, they feel about the same size to me.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:52 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's called an opinion.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City