Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:32 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,356,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Y

The city is turning more blue with its growing Asian population though...and no, they aren't all tiger moms. That's a bit of a racist statement on your part, are at least over simplifying and stereotyping a very diverse population. Not to mention, a lot of them are young professionals attracted by the growing tech industry.
Ah, yes, now I'm a "racist" for pointing out that Irvine doesn't have black people hence there is no segregation. Here we go...

People like you are the biggest phonies. You would probably be the first person to move out when a poor black person moves to your neighborhood. Enjoy your "diversity" and "tolerance" in a county with no black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 12:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,491,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why do you keep saying poor/low income Blacks? Socioeconomic status doesn't matter. You can have a couple of Black upper-middle class families move into a predominantly White neighborhood and it would automatically trigger White flight.
Historically, I think of Compton. Honestly, though, I don't think that is so much the case anymore...at least out West.

Then again: Eight Recent Cases That Show Redlining is Still Alive and Evolving - CityLab

I wonder how an older rich cities like Newport Beach or Manhattan Beach (islands of white wealth), would react to an influx of well to do minorities, especially blacks and Latinos. There used to be incidents in Newport Beach, where residents would call the police on Asian students from UCI hanging out at the beaches, and report them as 'gangs'. (see paragraph 110 https://books.google.com/books?id=Vi...0beach&f=false ). So despite the myth, white people did not adjust well to Asians, it took time. Cities like Garden Grove and Westminster saw plenty of white flight, protests and riots in response to the incoming Vietnamese refugees (who actually vote strongly Republican.)

Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileallday8 View Post
That is not true. African American 12.6% of the USA population. The integrated cities represent that percentage.

More segregated is about income. Look at LA AA make barley 10%. That city is segregated even with few AA.
I don't know what any of this means.

Irvine is 1.8% black, and probably only that "high" because it has a major state university.

New Orleans is 61% black, and that's actually down from previous years.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,184,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why do you keep saying poor/low income Blacks? Socioeconomic status doesn't matter. You can have a couple of Black upper-middle class families move into a predominantly White neighborhood and it would automatically trigger White flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I doubt that's true. Most upper middle class neighborhoods have a couple of black families, from coast to coast. Doesn't seem to trigger any flight.

But when a city has a large poor black population, it will have a high degree of segregation, because non-blacks will not live with poor blacks. Again, if you look at the list, every single "most segregated" city has a large poor black population (and basically none of these cities are less than 40% black). If you look at the "least segregated" city list none have large poor black populations.

I don't think Irvine is anymore tolerant than New Orleans. The "study" is conflating population composition for tolerance. Rich Asian and White people will integrate just fine.
Yea, I'm not sure I agree with that either, Mutiny. Not that money solves all racial issues (it doesn't) but it doesn't really trigger white flight if there aren't any other compounding issues (noise, yard upkeep, etc.). In my experience, most homogeneously white neighborhoods actually like it when the area diversifies, IF it doesn't become "ghetto". It adds local "flavor" to the neighborhood, especially since I feel that a lot of white folks feel under "assault" these days (both justified and unjustified, imo).

Old 12-31-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I wonder how an older rich cities like Newport Beach or Manhattan Beach (islands of white wealth), would react to an influx of well to do minorities, especially blacks and Latinos. There used to be incidents in Newport Beach, where residents would call the police on Asian students from UCI hanging out at the beaches, and report them as 'gangs'. (see paragraph 110 https://books.google.com/books?id=Vi...0beach&f=false ). So despite the myth, white people did not adjust well to Asians, it took time. Cities like Garden Grove and Westminster saw plenty of white flight, protests and riots in response to the incoming Vietnamese refugees (who actually vote strongly Republican.)
I used to live in Newport Beach school district. The idea that Orange County is more tolerant than other places in the U.S. is complete baloney. It isn't really better or worse than anywhere else.

Corona del Mar High, BTW, is almost completely white, even though whites only make up like 15-20% of school age kids in Southern CA. If there were a large influx of "poors" there would be riots.

In fact whites have been abandoning Newport Harbor High, in part because "too many Mexicans", even though we're talking middle class second-third generation Mexicans from Costa Mesa. If it were poor blacks from Compton it would be 100x more white flight.

IMO, the study is conflating things. I don't think the cities at the top of list are more tolerant than the cities on the bottom. I think they have very different racial and socioeconomic dynamics.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes, now I'm a "racist" for pointing out that Irvine doesn't have black people hence there is no segregation. Here we go...

People like you are the biggest phonies. You would probably be the first person to move out when a poor black person moves to your neighborhood. Enjoy your "diversity" and "tolerance" in a county with no black people.
Nope. Racist was used in the way you stereotyped an entire population under 'Tiger Moms'. Perhaps because I grew up in Asian neighborhoods and worked with plenty of Asian activists and allies in Long Beach, LA and OC I am more attuned to the community, but for whatever reason, lots of people have little issue throwing racist remarks against them, and seeing nothing wrong with it. It's not cool, it's not right and it definitely isn't conducive to creating a more tolerant and inclusive society.

There are other ways of being a Chinese mother than Amy Chua's Tiger Mother

the tiger mother speaks!

Beyond Tiger Mom anxiety: Ethnic, gender, and generational differences in Asian American college access and choices | OiYan **** - Academia.edu

Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Nope. Racist was used in the way you stereotyped an entire population under 'Tiger Moms'. Perhaps because I grew up in Asian neighborhoods and worked with plenty of Asian activists and allies in Long Beach, LA and OC I am more attuned to the community, but for whatever reason, lots of people have little issue throwing racist remarks against them, and seeing nothing wrong with it. It's not cool, it's not right and it definitely isn't conducive to creating a more tolerant and inclusive society.
"Tiger Mom" isn't a "racist" term. It's a term coined by a Chinese-American academic, and an apt term in communities like Irvine, which have high % of high achieving, hard-driving families where academic success is an expectation. Not sure how it's "racist" to point this out.

In fact many whites avoid Irvine schools just because of this hard-driving element. Some of the top districts in CA (places like Cupertino and Irvine) are being shunned because it's considered (by some) to be less nurturing. Irvine schools are better (in terms of test scores and college admissons) than Newport schools, but whites prefer Newport schools, and property values are much higher in Newport district.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
"Tiger Mom" isn't a "racist" term. It's a term coined by a Chinese-American academic, and an apt term in communities like Irvine, which have high % of high achieving, hard-driving families where academic success is an expectation. Not sure how it's "racist" to point this out.

In fact many whites avoid Irvine schools just because of this hard-driving element. Some of the top districts in CA (places like Cupertino and Irvine) are being shunned because it's considered (by some) to be less nurturing. Irvine schools are better (in terms of test scores and college admissons) than Newport schools, but whites prefer Newport schools, and property values are much higher in Newport district.
It definitely is, and especially when used to broadly described a whole community, a diverse one like I have pointed out. Plus, schools like University High tend to attract families from all backgrounds with similar goals in terms of what they're seeking for their children...whether they are Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Filipino, Mexican or White.

Nonetheless, I have seen various folks post in the OC forum "worried" that their children (mostly white) won't cut it or be able to integrate into the Asian community. The whole South Coast area is an interesting case study in poverty and wealth in America, with the South Coast area including high end and white Newport, diverse and middle class Costa Mesa, as well as Hispanic immigrant heavy Santa Ana. Despite the inroads Asian Americans and Latinos have made in OC, the coasts are still predominantly white wealth. Though a lot of this stems from historic redlining in OC where post world war II, middle class Latino and Black families weren't allowed to buy property on the coasts.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It definitely is, and especially when used to broadly described a whole community, a diverse one like I have pointed out.
Again, it's a commonly used term coined by Chinese-Americans for Chinese-Americans. You don't like the term, fine. Don't call others "racists" because you personally don't like a term.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:24 PM

133 posts, read 136,015 times
Quote:
I see no evidence that more integrated areas are more tolerant. It's just reliant on % AA, which can be seen very clearly on the list of most integrated and least integrated cities.

If I magically made Irvine 30%-40% low income AA, it would be segregated in about two seconds. It would be the same as New Orleans or Chicago. Chinese tiger moms aren't sending their kids to black schools and watching their $1 million home property values wither.
What evidence do you need to see that being integrated does mean more tolerant? interracial marriage? school percentages? hate crime numbers?

Stop with the IF this, IF THAT. This is not the point of the thread and is being ruined with your What If poor references. Previously I already pointed out in order for the poor to move in the middle class would already be just about of that area due to property value. Just stop the What If's.

Quote:
Irvine doesn't have black people hence there is no segregation. Enjoy your "diversity" and "tolerance" in a county with no black people.
AA make up a small percentage of the USA population. So yes, it is a country with little AA. Those who are black from the Caribbeans do not label themselves as AA or black. I have spoken with many who put other if only given the AA option. Sometimes they put black, but rarely AA.

Could it be black people do not want to live amongst others ethnic groups? AA may choose to segregate themselves to areas where they are in larger numbers instead of spreading out for their safety.
People in general feel more comfortable around their own so I do not look at it as a bad thing. I would just like those people who separate themselves to be more tolerant and stop with hate crimes as it ruins it for all of us.

Quote:
I agree integration does not necessarily mean tolerance, but it does force people to coexist with people of various backgrounds, and growing up there does create a younger more tolerant generation.
That is why I said you have to assume tolerance is better in integrated areas. People would move if they could not coexist right? Areas like sacramento, ca are only getting better. Once the older generation is dead and gone things will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City