Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:13 AM

133 posts, read 135,818 times

Advertisements

The link below is a really good read, I found the article very informative. How do you feel about your city now?

The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated | FiveThirtyEight

Sacramento: The Most Integrated Major City in the US... who knew...
I visited NYC several years back and found it rather disappointing on a neighborhood level. I do love NYC for the entertainment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:27 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
"Most integrated" is codespeak for "few African Americans". "Most segregated" is codespeak for "many African Americans".

Every city on the "most integrated" list has almost no blacks, and every city on the "most segregated" list has a huge % of blacks. Irvine ("most integrated") isn't really "better" than New Orleans ("most segregated'); it's just that Irvine is all upper class Asian and White, so why would there be segregation?

Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Interesting how the most integrated cities and the ones with the highest diversity at the neighborhood level are predominantly Western (with Texas being the exception), while the most segregated are in the Midwest, South and East. Chicago is just ridiculous.

Personally, it doesn't change my perception of my hometown, since I grew up in Orange County (home to Irvine), and many North OC cities aren't that different from Irvine in both how diverse and integrated they area. To the right of us we had an elderly Korean couple, to the left a mixed white-Hispanic family. Further, down the street you could find Filipinos, Indians, Arabs/Muslims, mixed black families etc. On the same street where my family attended church (Catholic), there were several Korean Christian churches, a Baptist Church, a Sikh temple, an Islamic center...and not far around the block, a Jain temple. My group of best friends in high school was like a mini United Nations. This is what I grew up with as my "normal", so it has always been a shock to me when I find out how so many places are so segregated.

I wonder what difference in culture different cities and states have that favor or disfavor integration.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:35 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Interesting how the most integrated cities and the ones with the highest diversity at the neighborhood level are predominantly Western (with Texas being the exception), while the most segregated are in the Midwest, South and East. Chicago is just ridiculous.
The West Coast doesn't have many blacks. It isn't more tolerant, just fewer blacks. Unfortunately we in the U.S. are somewhat segregated between African Americans and everyone else.

I lived about five miles from Irvine (Corona del Mar) and Irvine isn't more or less tolerant than anywhere else. But it's first on the list because 1. It's big enough to qualify (most suburbs are too small) and 2. Diverse but with basically no black people. But it isn't like Irvine is more "tolerant" than the cities on the bottom of the list. If a bunch of poor African Americans moved to Irvine it would segregate super-quick; the Chinese tiger moms would raise hell.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:36 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
The West is the least Black region of the US, and segregation is higher in cities with large Black populations.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:48 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times
Blacks aren't really part of the American "melting pot." Residential concentrations among Asian groups and Hispanics, I think it's fair to say, are mostly a product of immigration, where they can find community institutions, count on the language being spoken etc. These can range from poor barrios and Chinatowns to the more affluent "ethnoburbs" where Asian immigrants often directly settle.

Most Asian and Hispanic Americans are 1st or 2nd generation, if you look at the 3rd generation and beyond there's probably little residential segregation at all.

In New York, where the Black population is probably about 50% Caribbean origin, there's an African American melting pot. Caribbean immigrants settled in Black neighborhoods and the American-born assimilate into the broader African American community.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:00 AM

Most Integrated:

#1) Irvine, CA - 1.8% (2010 Census)

True, your point is valid with Irvine...but, not so much with the other cities:

#2) Sacramento, Ca - 16.6% Black/AA (2010 Census)

#3) Paradise, Nevada - 8.9% (2010 Census)

#4) Stockton, CA - 12.2% (2010 Census)

#9) Garland, TX - 14.5% (2010 Census)

#10) Aurora, CO - 15.7% (2010 Census)

All these also have a significant Hispanic population. Some, like Sacramento (17.8%), have significant Asian populations as well.

Oakland,which does not make top 10 integration, but does make top 10 diversity at the neighborhood level has 28% AA/Black.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Blacks aren't really part of the American "melting pot." Residential concentrations among Asian groups and Hispanics, I think it's fair to say, are mostly a product of immigration, where they can find community institutions, count on the language being spoken etc. These can range from poor barrios and Chinatowns to the more affluent "ethnoburbs" where Asian immigrants often directly settle.

Most Asian and Hispanic Americans are 1st or 2nd generation, if you look at the 3rd generation and beyond there's probably little residential segregation at all.

In New York, where the Black population is probably about 50% Caribbean origin, there's an African American melting pot. Caribbean immigrants settled in Black neighborhoods and the American-born assimilate into the broader African American community.
Well this is where census data has its limitations. I would consider Carribean and African immigrants mixing in with the native black community as integration. They aren't a monolithic group after all, and speak several different languages, with various religious backgrounds. Nonetheless, on the Census map, as long as it just reads them as 'black', it will gives a city phenotype of very limited integration...which is false when we step outside the American boundaries of race.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:16 AM

BTW, the black kids in my high school in the tiny city of La Palma in North OC were small population wise, but highly diverse, hailing from Guyana, Jamaica, Nigeria, Ghana and Louisiana. My best friend was AA (with roots in Georgia) and Chinese (she wasn't even the only Asian-Black mixed kid in the school either, as there were a few others). This is only a small sample within my own circle of friends. My point is though is that the place where I grew up is pretty much an immigrant friendly town, where people from all backgrounds make it their home. I'm not saying it's a perfect place that should be emulated, far from it...as it is a little too suburban/boring and a bit conservative in nature (for me).

Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 AM

912 posts, read 1,085,000 times
Irvine having USC definitely helps in this case.

The most segregated cities in the US also had histories of large scale race riots in the past (and present). The most integrated cities are relatively new and fortunately doesn't share this history of racial tensions. Due to these events, it led to voluntary segregation and hasn't really changed since then. It will always be the newer cities/suburbs that will be the most integrated, while the older more established cities are segregated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City