Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Says the gentleman who has never actually been in Louisville.

To me, Louisville makes more sense as an up and coming city. Why spend all that money and waste time in traffic? The only argument for Houston as an RN are no state income tax and warmer weather, provided that is your thing.
You do know Houston has one of the largest medical industries in the country, right? Ever heard of the Texas Medical Center? It's probably larger than Louisville's entire downtown area....

I've notice you're a huge Louisville booster/homer. It's fine to boost your own city, but don't try to spew false facts about other cities. There's a reason why Houston grew 156,000 last year, 5x the amount Louisville grew between 2010 and 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,459 times
Quote:
Says the gentleman who has never actually been in Louisville.

To me, Louisville makes more sense as an up and coming city. Why spend all that money and waste time in traffic? The only argument for Houston as an RN are no state income tax and warmer weather, provided that is your thing.
Have you been to Houston?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:06 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Have you been to Houston?
Many times, and all over city and suburbs. I have family in Clear Lake. Very very sterile city, and the downtown is unimpressive. These remarks are shared all over these forums

Old 01-03-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You do know Houston has one of the largest medical industries in the country, right? Ever heard of the Texas Medical Center? It's probably larger than Louisville's entire downtown area....

I've notice you're a huge Louisville booster/homer. It's fine to boost your own city, but don't try to spew false facts about other cities. There's a reason why Houston grew 156,000 last year, 5x the amount Louisville grew between 2010 and 2014.
Bigger is NOT always better. But that is hard telling to a texan. Quality of life I would argue is better in Louisville as prices are cheaper, commutes are shorter, and people are friendlier. There are also 4 equal seasons and nearby mountains. Texas Medical Center is indeed huge, but its a massive stretch to call it bigger than all of downtown Louisville. Come on now! And Louisville has its own fairly sizable medical district, all be it substantially smaller than Texas Medical Center. I am sorry, but outside rice village, I am just not that awed by Houston.....compare it to similar sized metros like Chicago and Chicago blows it out of the water.

Louisville also has an OUSTANDING and world renowned medical center:

They did the first artifical heart transplant in Louisville, the first Cadaveric hand transplant, had one of the first dedicated trauma centers, the second emergency medicine residency program (Cincinnati was first), and even invented the Gardasil HPV vaccine in Louisville. You can try to downplay Louisville but it is a major player in healthcare. Humana is a fortune 100 insurance giant based there, Kindred is fortune 500, and there are too many large healthcare and aging companies to mention, such as Atria. Chanes are you or your grandma have stayed in a facility run by a Louisville based company, even in TX. Louisville was an important city 100 years before Houston was even a backwater bayou town. Louisville has history, art, architecture, and soul that Houston cannot build no matter how many shiny skyscrapers or 20 lane freeways they build.

Houston has the advantage of a MEGA size, rapid growth, and beaches an hour away. The size difference is such that the cities are hard to compare, and they are so totally different. But for the OP, she will have a much higherQOL as an RN in Louisville, and that is one area where there are so many jobs, they cannot be all filled, so she will have her pick.

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-03-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 08:35 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Bigger is NOT always better. But that is hard telling to a texan. Quality of life I would argue is better in Louisville as prices are cheaper, commutes are shorter, and people are friendlier. There are also 4 equal seasons and nearby mountains. Texas Medical Center is indeed huge, but its a massive stretch to call it bigger than all of downtown Louisville. Come on now! And Louisville has its own fairly sizable medical district, all be it substantially smaller than Texas Medical Center. I am sorry, but outside rice village, I am just not that awed by Houston.....compare it to similar sized metros like Chicago and Chicago blows it out of the water.

Louisville also has an OUSTANDING and world renowned medical center:

They did the first artifical heart transplant in Louisville, the first Cadaveric hand transplant, had one of the first dedicated trauma centers, the second emergency medicine residency program (Cincinnati was first), and even invented the Gardasil HPV vaccine in Louisville. You can try to downplay Louisville but it is a major player in healthcare. Humana is a fortune 100 insurance giant based there, Kindred is fortune 500, and there are too many large healthcare and aging companies to mention, such as Atria. Chanes are you or your grandma have stayed in a facility run by a Louisville based company, even in TX. Louisville was an important city 100 years before Houston was even a backwater bayou town. Louisville has history, art, architecture, and soul that Houston cannot build no matter how many shiny skyscrapers or 20 lane freeways they build.

Houston has the advantage of a MEGA size, rapid growth, and beaches an hour away. The size difference is such that the cities are hard to compare, and they are so totally different. But for the OP, she will have a much higherQOL as an RN in Louisville, and that is one area where there are so many jobs, they cannot be all filled, so she will have her pick.
People mentioned TMC because you limited Houston's advantages to just taxes and weather, omitting arguably the most important advantage against Louisville it has in this matchup. Whether TMC is better can be argued, but not its size (8th largest business district in the country--definitely bigger than downtown Louisville, so not a stretch at all) or the many, many more opportunities for nursing jobs it provides. Yeah Houston is younger and bland yada yada yada but you are seriously shortchanging the city in an effort to boost your own. Also, according to Indeed.com, the average salary for RNs in Louisville is $53K while it's in $76K Houston--a substantial difference even accounting for the higher COL in Houston. QOL is subjective but salaries can be a very significant part of that.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:15 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Um Peter, Ant131531 isn't from Texas but from Georgia. Also why even bring up that Houston is sterile and downtown unimpressive when that has nothing to do with the thread? You see to want to bash Houston to boost your own.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Um Peter, Ant131531 isn't from Texas but from Georgia. Also why even bring up that Houston is sterile and downtown unimpressive when that has nothing to do with the thread? You see to want to bash Houston to boost your own.
No need to boost Houston...it does not really compete with Louisville anyways...Houston is a top 10 city. Louisville is a top 40 city.

My point, is bigger is not always better. In Louisville, you can utilize the whole metro area, and even S. Indiana. On Houston, good luck getting from one side of town to the other. It is like a road trip for Louisvillians to Indy or Cincinnati.

Of COURSE Houston CBD is waaaay bigger than dt Louisville. Texas Medical Center Alone is NOT bigger than all of downtown Louisville and its medical district. Not close. Louisville has bigger hospitals than you think...5 in the CBD, and one (the VA) just outside of it. All have 15 plus story towers full of patients. Louisville is no slouch.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:22 AM

51 posts, read 73,660 times
Quote:
No need to boost Houston...it does not really compete with Louisville anyways...Houston is a top 10 city. Louisville is a top 40 city.

My point, is bigger is not always better. In Louisville, you can utilize the whole metro area, and even S. Indiana. On Houston, good luck getting from one side of town to the other. It is like a road trip for Louisvillians to Indy or Cincinnati.

Of COURSE Houston CBD is waaaay bigger than dt Louisville. Texas Medical Center Alone is NOT bigger than all of downtown Louisville and its medical district. Not close. Louisville has bigger hospitals than you think...5 in the CBD, and one (the VA) just outside of it. All have 15 plus story towers full of patients. Louisville is no slouch.
Your original claim has already been debunked by multiple posters. Give it a rest, and stop reaching.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 PM

389 posts, read 330,173 times
I guess I would go where the job demand is at. Otherwise I would choose Louisville which I think is probably the better place to live and avoids all of the traffic and negatives associated with the mega cities.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:

No bigger isn't always better, but it generally translates into more opportunities and in this case, also higher average salaries. That was a big omission on your part.

Quote:
As the largest medical complex in the world, the Texas Medical Center (TMC) is an
internationally recognized community of healing, learning and discovery. The completion of
recent construction projects and billions in capital investment have raised the total size of
the TMC (including all campuses) to 45.8 million square feet. This includes 290 buildings,
and 27,500 parking spaces.

http://www.houston.org/newgen/13_Hea...Expansions.pdf

TMC is the eighth-largest business district in the country—right after Philadelphia and Seattle--and has 7,000 patient beds. Medical Center Facts & Figures | Texas Medical Center

The most information I can find about downtown Louisville puts it at 21.5 million square feet of office space, which typically includes medical office space. Office vacancies still high downtown, but new analysis gives reason for hope - Insider Louisville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City