Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for skiing
Vail, CO 8 26.67%
Park City, UT 14 46.67%
Killington, VT 2 6.67%
Jackson Hole, WY 6 20.00%
Diamond Peak, NV 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 PM

139 posts, read 221,797 times

Advertisements

Might as well start a war on the best ski town in the country..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Vail FTW!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
I've only been to Vail, but the skiing on the mountain itself and its sister resort Beaver Creek are simply amazing. Sooooo much territory, and it is unadulterated. There's long, flowing runs, good snow, and not many damn snowboarders to shovel all the snow to the bottom of the mountain for you.

The town itself is rather meh. It's super expensive, I don't think the area is really that pretty. There's a lot of CO that has better mountain towns than Vail.

I haven't been to the others so I really don't know which is best. I've heard good things about British Columbia resorts.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I've only been to Vail, but the skiing on the mountain itself and its sister resort Beaver Creek are simply amazing. Sooooo much territory, and it is unadulterated. There's long, flowing runs, good snow, and not many damn snowboarders to shovel all the snow to the bottom of the mountain for you.

The town itself is rather meh. It's super expensive, I don't think the area is really that pretty. There's a lot of CO that has better mountain towns than Vail.

I haven't been to the others so I really don't know which is best. I've heard good things about British Columbia resorts.
I agree. The skiing is great but Vail's not really a town, and definitely not the best ski town in the US, let alone CO. Personally, I'd take many other historic mountain towns-Telluride, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs, Carbondale, Aspen, Salida, Silverton, Minturn, Eagle- to name a few- over the manufactured village and surroundings in Vail Valley.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:33 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Vail is pretty much the Disney of ski towns. I think it looks nice, but it's too polished and doesn't look like a real town. Same with Beaver Creek (although it's more of a resort than a town). Aspen and Breckenridge are definitely the nicest ski towns in CO imo. Way too expensive though!

I've heard a lot of good things about Park City, UT and it looks nice on streetview.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 AM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
If we don't include ski-towns, but consider actual "cities" near ski towns, I vote for Salt Lake City.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:23 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,498 times
I went with Vail, just because i am not familiar with the other options. Also it's hard to beat Colorado for skying.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:44 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Vail is pretty much the Disney of ski towns. I think it looks nice, but it's too polished and doesn't look like a real town. Same with Beaver Creek (although it's more of a resort than a town). Aspen and Breckenridge are definitely the nicest ski towns in CO imo. Way too expensive though!

I've heard a lot of good things about Park City, UT and it looks nice on streetview.
Aspen and Breck feel artificial to me too though. Aspen is just like holy god there is so much money here I don't belong and Breck doens't even have good skiing or scenery. Telluride I've heard is gorgeous, but suffers from the Aspen mega rich problem.

Summit County towns are the most practical in CO, but the most quaint and beautiful yet still somewhat affordable and livable go to Crested Butte (with Gunnison so close) and Steamboat. Steamboat is suprisingly green for CO and I even saw a white pine (eastern US tree) while I was there!

Old 01-13-2016, 03:05 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
If we don't include ski-towns, but consider actual "cities" near ski towns, I vote for Salt Lake City.
AGreed...Utah has the greatest snow on earth..

Voted for Park City...it has about 8 resorts w/in an hr...

Park City Resort, Deer Valley, The Canyons, Alta, Solitude, Snowbird, Brighten...all are magnificent for skiing.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
I though Vail was just okay and some of it was kind of boring. Just seemed like a bigger area of the sort of beginner and intermediate runs that you find all over the country, the Back Bowls was the only sort of more alpine bowl terrain. The town reminds me of Whistler but just bigger(and sometimes even more crowded), but it's all kid of artificial(like Whistler). The skiing is way better at Whistler/Blackcomb though as far as high alpine terrain. Beaver Creek actually had more fun runs in some ways and it wasn't crowded with so many goobers as Vail. Actually I'd take a little place with great terrain like Arapahoe Basin over Vail too.

Jackson Hole and the skiing at Snowbird/Alta(close to Park City) would move those higher up in my estimation. Salt Lake City is by far the best ski "city" in the country with the nearby options. As far as cool skitowns with great mountains, I'll take Telluride, Crested Butte, Jackson, Park City, Stowe are all good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City