Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:48 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Miami is most popular in March due to festivals. However we get tourists year round. January is not really that noticeably busier than May for example. March and December on the other hand? Crazy.

Yep. Winter is the season in Miami. Its the time when the weather is most like Southern California.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:52 AM

699 posts, read 610,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yep. Winter is the season in Miami. Its the time when the weather is most like Southern California.
No, you didn't read my post. And irregardless, March (the most popular month due to festivals) is already mid 80s, warmer than coastal SoCal come summer. January is not really the most popular month here but that's when our averages aline most with coastal SoCal come maybe July-ish.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Why are you contradicting me? I just said there are no bugs here on Miami Beach. In case you won't take my word for it, I found a forum independent of CD -

Are there mosquitoes at night? - Miami Beach 411

I don't know where you got the rumor we have bugs in Miami Beach, I had to fight off more bugs in San Diego (gnats) than I have to do here.
Did I say Miami Beach? Cities here dont have pest abatement departments and massive spray programs.
Search "bed bugs Miami Beach" or "**** roaches Miami Beach"

Miami-Dade County has a sub-tropical environment and is home to approximately 45 species of mosquitoes. However, a few create sufficient annoyance that require control measures. In addition to their annoyance, mosquitoes can also transmit diseases such as West Nile Virus, Dengue Fever, Encephalitis, Malaria and dog heartworm.
Mosquito Control - Miami-Dade County

The South Florida mosquito season has hit the misery zone, spreading clouds of pesky marsh mosquitoes and bringing the first local case of dengue fever.
Shifting summer winds have swept the prolific Aedes taeniorhynchus, an annoying but largely harmless species, from the brackish and salty waters of Everglades National Park eastward, intensifying a season that officially began with seasonal rains in May. Predictably, the more dangerous yellow-fever and tiger mosquitoes, which carry dengue and the latest mosquito hazard, chickungunya, have also spread.
Stepped outside lately? Mosquito season is here | Miami Herald

Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Did I say Miami Beach?
This is a thread about the Atlantic Coast vs the Pacific Coast, for all intents and purposes, when talking about the coast for Miami-Dade county you're talking about Miami Beach, and there are no mosquitoes here. You can be out in short-sleeves, flip-flops, all night in anytime of the year and you won't be bitten. I was just eating at Baoli in their outdoor patio from 11pm to 2am, no bites or any bug issues.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:08 AM

Found this very interesting piece for tourist trends of Miami 2014 - http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/~/med...al_report_2014

Tourist numbers (based on airplane arrivals)

-International tourists see peak arrivals in July, August and March as well as December. February and September seem to be troughs, slow periods.

-Domestic tourists see peak arrivals in March and December. Overall September is the slowest period.

Combining Domestic and International tourist trends, December, followed by March, followed by July are the 3 busiest months.

That's right, July is busier than January and February.

Go to page 43.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
This is a thread about the Atlantic Coast vs the Pacific Coast, for all intents and purposes, when talking about the coast for Miami-Dade county you're talking about Miami Beach, and there are no mosquitoes here. You can be out in short-sleeves, flip-flops, all night in anytime of the year and you won't be bitten. I was just eating at Baoli in their outdoor patio from 11pm to 2am, no bites or any bug issues.

There certainly can be mosquitos there. Not on the beach obviously, but anywhere in Florida with damp grass or standing fresh water. Your summer season is worse, but there is no off season for bugs in Florida.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Found this very interesting piece for tourist trends of Miami 2014 - http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/~/med...al_report_2014

Tourist numbers (based on airplane arrivals)

-International tourists see peak arrivals in July, August and March as well as December. February and September seem to be troughs, slow periods.

-Domestic tourists see peak arrivals in March and December. Overall September is the slowest period.

Combining Domestic and International tourist trends, December, followed by March, followed by July are the 3 busiest months.

That's right, July is busier than January and February.

Go to page 43.
That doesnt have anything to do with what the 'on season' is. Which is Jan through April.

The summer is considered the off-season down here mainly because of the tempermental weather and most visitors are shocked to find out just how humid it can get. The best months to visit are January through April; December isn't too bad either.

Best time of year to visit South Beach - Miami Forum - TripAdvisor

Old 01-21-2016, 07:40 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Yes, really and not as rude as you think. Ive seen her go on for pages and pages on water temp. Which is the single and only criteria worth while to her, probably because its the only debatable factor that they have on the east coast. The only problem with it is that it brings high humidity with it.
Because water temperature matters to people. Get over it.

This is a thread about beaches. A big aspect of the beach and its usability is water temp. Above Southern CA, it's far too cold to swim anywhere on the coast. And even in Southern CA, waters are colder than a lot of the East.

So because I talk about it because it matters and YOU don't like it or like hearing it doesn't mean you get to be rude. I only go on for pages because people like you keep trying to downplay the temp or tell me I'm wrong. I'm not wrong. The Atlantic has warmer summer temps along the whole coast. Fact. You can deal with it.

Water temp matters so much here because the ENTIRE East Coast up to Southern Maine is swimmable in the summer. And Southern water temps are amazing. For the West, we are only talking about Southern CA because the beaches suck everywhere north (suck for their typical usage - lying on a warm sandy beach, with warm swimmable water to cool off in). So we're comparing basically the whole East Coast to Southern CA... would you seriously say the West wins this? Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you did but most logical people see my argument and have also made it here.

And actually Eastern beaches are beautiful and have a lot more to offer than just warmer water, but keep trying to put down another area to bring yours up.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
That doesnt have anything to do with what the 'on season' is. Which is Jan through April.
No, first of all on season is December through May. And second of all, as I showed that isn't true, July gets more tourists than January, February, April, and May. JULY.

Why are you saying that "doesn't have anything to do with it", we're talking about tourist seasons.

On season is defined by festivals. Art Basel kicks it off in December and Urban Beach weekend is the last, on Memorial day.

It has nothing to do with what people consider the best weather. Stop embarrassing yourself when you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
There certainly can be mosquitos there. Not on the beach obviously, but anywhere in Florida with damp grass or standing fresh water. Your summer season is worse, but there is no off season for bugs in Florida.
I don't know how many times I have to tell you: there is no bug problem in Miami Beach.

I'm not just talking about the immediate beach, but the entire city of Miami Beach.

I never once got bit by a mosquito here.

In contrast, in San Diego and other areas of coastal SoCal - gnats on the beach are a nuisance !

You simply don't want to except reality. This topic is not about the everglades, so I don't see why you care if there are biting bugs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City