Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland vs. New Orleans
Cleveland 45 32.61%
New Orleans 93 67.39%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:28 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
You can visit Cleveland and not even need a car. Can you say the same for seriously navigating N.O. outside of the FQ? I think not.

The great mid-twentieth century American playwright, Tennessee Williams once said: "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."

I think he was wrong, but he had a point. I travel a lot for work. I rent a car wherever I go, except for New York and New Orleans. I rent a car in San Francisco, even though it is a pain, because the environs of San Francisco are as interesting as the city itself and there is no convenient way to get to Napa or Santa Cruz without one. I rent a car in Chicago because driving up and down Lakeshore drive is one of my favorite American experiences. When I go to Cleveland, I rent a car because it is a huge annoyance getting around without one. Uber has improved things, but where exactly in Cleveland can you hail a cab from the street? I think Cleveland is underrated as a city and gets a bad rap on this site, but New Orleans is WAY more pedestrian friendly and not just in the quarter. It is way more walkable in the Faubourg Marigny, Bywater, the Garden District, Treme, Chantilly, the CBD, Uptown, Carrollton, lower Magazine and many other neighborhoods. Whenever I am walking in New Orleans, i feel like I am in a much bigger city than I am, and that I could not be anywhere else. NOLA is arguably the most distinctive city in the United States. Cleveland has good urban bones, but when I am there, I could easily be in Milwaukee, Buffalo, Rochester, any number of northern rustbelt cities. This is not a knock. I like all those places more than their sunbelt sprawl equivalents, but New Orleans is singular, not just in the quarter. Take the ferry to Algiers. You can walk around there too.

New Orleans is way easier to navigate without a car than Cleveland.
An excellent, accurate, well informed post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 07:15 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
He wasn't talking about Louisville.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
The notion of hailing a cab from the street is so 1997. This is something that only people over 40 do. So no, Cleveland isn't good for that. It's also something that is pretty trivial and only for the technologically challenged. Cabs will be gone soon and in 10 years, nobody will even know what you mean by "hailing."

Old 03-02-2016, 09:02 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Not really. It's subjective. Poster quotes a drug addict who wrote some decent plays that you can probably only name, definitely one, maybe two of. Poster then goes on to give an opinion and references taxi cabs like it's the 20th century still. It's kinda laughable.

I can play this game too!!! I'll be waiting to be told how excellent, accurate, and well informed this post is.

"It's the Cuyahoga River that puts the cleave in Cleveland, separating East from Midwest, integration from segregation, a place that sees itself as America's westernmost Eastern city from a place that sees itself as the easternmost midwestern city. The rest of the country sees it as neither, though it must be said that the rest of the country is perversely wont to misunderstand Cleveland.â€
- Mark Winegardner

I've traveled to x places and have never rented a car anywhere. I find that when I'm in Cleveland, I really don't need a car at all either. I walk. It's good for you. And the core is pretty walkable, just like New Orleans. There are a ton of buses. There are 2 BRT lines and 4 train lines. That's hard to get around? Please. Use Uber. Use Lyft. Just because you don't know how to navigate a place doesn't mean it's not possible, or easily possible, to do so.

Cleveland is way easier to navigate without a car than New Orleans.

Do I win?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:03 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Actually, it's NOT accurate. Just IMO more Cleveland bashing by a self-proclaimed expert.

Cleveland's downtown has not only a very compact downtown, but free downtown bus trolleys and a light rail line connecting Tower City, the East Flats and lakefront attractions, even though the distances can be walked in 10 to 15 minutes. A highly honored 24/7 bus rapid line also connects downtown with the University Circle cultural and medical district.

Additionally, University Circle/Little Italy, downtown, the Market District, and the airport all are connected by heavy rail. Light rail connects downtown with Shaker Hts., one of the nation's best garden cities and far larger than the New Orleans Garden District.

New Orleans streetcars are slow and often very crowded in my experience.

Claiming "walkability" without good mass transit is a joke IMO. E.g., the NYC subway certainly helps make NYC extremely walkable.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 AM

It's fascinating that everybody ignores the Sword of Damocles hanging over New Orleans as discussed in my post 69.

Definitely pick New Orleans outside of the hot, muggy summer season, for a great tourist destination, especially if you enjoy exceptional food, live music, or can party during Mardi Gras.

Yet it's not a city that intelligent persons will want to invest in for the long run, or even given what may transpire in the next few decades.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:51 AM

New Orleans' Orleans Parish has the second highest murder rate among U.S. counties, based on 2014 FBI statistics. Cleveland's Cuyahoga County didn't make the top 30.

St. Louis named murder capital of the U.S. | FOX2now.com

Old 03-02-2016, 06:07 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Have you ever been to New Orleans?
As I said: twice, both times for a week and without a car.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
He wasn't talking about Louisville.
No but he was talking about a city that beats the snot out of Cleveland in every regard. The fact that you think Cleveland is as pedestrian friendly as New Orleans is laughable. Troll much? That's what it is when you post a "smart" comment about every single one of my posts.

The Cleveland "trio" is getting too much to handle around here.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
No but he was talking about a city that beats the snot out of Cleveland in every regard.
"Beats the snot out of Cleveland in EVERY regard?"

Really? New Orleans has no world class art museum, no world class orchestra, no MLB team, and has comparatively second-rate architecture.

Oh, yeah, it's totally dependent on federal largesse to keep from drowning.

Now, you can bash Cleveland some more and tell us once again how this doesn't matter, because you've been everywhere and know everything. NOT.

Yes, New Orleans has many things that are superior to Cleveland, but not in EVERY regard.

Quote:
The fact that you think Cleveland is as pedestrian friendly as New Orleans is laughable.
Yet you've not explained how New Orleans could possibly be more walkable than Cleveland when its transit system clearly is second rate. You're condescending anti-Cleveland rant is not laughable; it's loathsome.

Quote:
Troll much?...

The Cleveland "trio" is getting too much to handle around here.
Your deliberately insulting bashing of Cleveland certainly is troll-like behavior.

I'm certain you would prefer if you were free to spout your inaccurate statements and negative exaggerations about Cleveland. Tough.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-02-2016 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City