Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen the movie Out of The Furnace, it was filmed in North Braddock PA which has many similarities with towns in WV and VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 PM

193 posts, read 204,265 times
Although I now live in Philadelphia, I lived for many years in Virginia--in all sections of the state: Alexandria, Reston, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Big Stone Gap, Richmond, Petersburg, and Hampton. The strongest impression I had of the state while living there was the enormous sense of place--of pride of place--that Virginians have for their beautiful, historic Commonwealth.

Everywhere you turn in Virginia there is history--Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Civil War battlefields, Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Mason, Henry, Marshall, Lee and on and on. Also, beautiful scenery--Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah Valley, Chesapeake Bay, ocean beaches, The Fan in Richmond, Middleburg horse country, and on and on. Parts of Virginia may resemble Pennsylvania while other parts might feel more like the Carolinas, but Virginia is Virginia--unique among the states. In my opinion, its unlike any place else.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Although I now live in Philadelphia, I lived for many years in Virginia--in all sections of the state: Alexandria, Reston, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Big Stone Gap, Richmond, Petersburg, and Hampton. The strongest impression I had of the state while living there was the enormous sense of place--of pride of place--that Virginians have for their beautiful, historic Commonwealth.

Everywhere you turn in Virginia there is history--Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Civil War battlefields, Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Mason, Henry, Marshall, Lee and on and on. Also, beautiful scenery--Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah Valley, Chesapeake Bay, ocean beaches, The Fan in Richmond, Middleburg horse country, and on and on. Parts of Virginia may resemble Pennsylvania while other parts might feel more like the Carolinas, but Virginia is Virginia--unique among the states. In my opinion, its unlike any place else.
I agree with your final assessment, and you're making me miss my home dearly

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Virginia is a snapshot of all aspects of Eastern America. The history and sense of place is unmatched to anywhere else I've been. That isn't the same as saying that other places have people with pride as well for their homes; that is certainly true. The history here is palpable and gravitational and living and breathing and dramatic in a way that doesn't seem to exist elsewhere. Not statewide. In Virginia, this passion is statewide....

I keep meaning to take pictures of Petersburg 2016 to upload here. This city took a beating industrially and economically the same way that Richmond did, and also took a while to rebound. The rejuvenation is well under way at this point, though. Petersburg has SO much potential. It certainly has historically been Richmond's little sister, and if the entire region embraced that more, Greater Richmond could soar...

The neighborhoods are certainly unlike anywhere in SC I've been, although I have a feeling Charleston may feel similar based on earlier comments. There is so much history....Poplar Lawn, Walnut Hill, Folly Castle, Pocahontas Island, Old Towne; Petersburg has some real gem neighborhoods. It is pretty much a mini-Richmond, and is very urban (though small) in its core hoods.. ..

Old 02-24-2016, 01:20 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
For many years when I was younger, I had always heard that NC was the valley of humility between two mountains of conceit (meaning VA and SC). In any case, comparing VA to SC made me think of that. However, it wasn't until now that I decided to google it to find out its origin. Well, it dates all the way back to 1900.
Vale of Humility between Two Mountains of Conceit | NCpedia

As for the OP's question, I'd say that one would find areas within the state of VA that are like a variety of its neighbors in all directions to a certain extent.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:54 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I have to disagree on that. Most of Virginia outside of NOVA is still very much Southern and in no way like PA.
Whats "southern" to you, sweet tea, thick accents and a blessed day? The other two largest metro's in Virginia (Richmond/Hampton Roads) are NOT still very much southern. The worn out NOVA vs ROVA has had its day.
Virginia is an amalgam of people from everywhere, north, south, east , midwest, north and abroad. 51% of the population was born outside the state, one of the highest rates in the country.
There may be similarities to PA and SC in various nooks and crannies but Virginia is her own girl.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 02-24-2016 at 02:09 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
VA is definitely unique but it's not too far from a more historic and less suburban version of NC. Less southern, too.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
South of the Rappahannock River and east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia is very similar to the Carolinas. However, north of the Rappahannock River and the northern portion of the Shenandoah Valley always seemed like a southward extension of Pennsylvania to me. The region from Harrisburg, York and Lancaster in Pennsylvania south to Harrisonburg and Fredericksburg in Virginia seemed to have a common vibe, regardless of which side of the Mason-Dixon Line it was on. In fact, the more I think about it, the Shenandoah Valley seems to have its own cultural gradient at work, becoming more like Pennsylvania the farther north you go, and more like Tennessee the farther south you go. And the mountains in far western Virginia are most similar to southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky. There are some similarities to rural western Pennsylvania, but it's more in terms of the scenery, nature, weather and built environment than the culture or economy. The northern Appalachians were always more industrialized and less isolated than the central Appalachians, so they've always had a better economy and a higher quality of life as a result.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Depends on where you are in Virginia.

The northern stretch of the mountains has a similar feel as parts of MD, PA or even upstate NY/east Ohio. The northern most part of the state has a lot in common with the lower urban northeast both due to transplants and proximity.

The rest of state is more southerly. Central/southern Appalachia to the west, and lowland south to the east.

On the whole I call Virginia the top of the south for a reason. Most of it is undeniably southern.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Virginia/Pennsylvania do share some similarities including land area, commonwealth status (Kentucky and Massachusetts are the other two), geography/scenery, colonial history.

I agree with others though that VA is it's own thing (like PA and SC) and shares commonalities with all of its neighboring states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City