Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Boston 144 45.14%
DC 175 54.86%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 02:56 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
[/b]

This is much more accurate. But in reality most Native Bostonians never go to Cambridge let alone Somerville. They live pretty isolated form those areas. This it is VERY different cultural. Cantabrigians and Somervillians see Boston as less enlightened, more rigid, and less refined. Which is accurate.

In Boston is you ask some one from Cambridge if they’re form the city they’ll say “no I’m from Cambridge”

The cities of Cambridge and Somerville never had forced bussing so the schools are more intact, they never had redlining so they’re much more integrated with far fewer distressed properties and virtually no gang neighborhoods, and thats precisely why people move there. they’re also San Francisco liberal whereas Boston still votes more blue collar union Democrat.

Again approaching a Bostonians-especially in the southern neighborhoods- and telli Nd them you’re from Boston but you’re from Chelsea or Brookline is not gonna cut it. the first thing they’ll ask is “you’re from Boston? What neighborhood?”

These types of neighborhood rivalries exist in other cities..in New York if you live in the “city” it’s basically Manhattan..you’re not from “the city” if you live in statin island etc..I know people in Brooklyn that when asked where they’re say they are from brooklyn not New York..those from Cambridge are proud to say they are from Cambridge and won’t often say Boston..outside of these rivalries though the cities function as one and people that are out of high school don’t call out these as “not Boston”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 02:58 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
I don’t know any adult raised in Boston who thinks of Malden as Boston. I have only ever heard the dedication to this argument on this board as a way to make Boston seem bigger or better than what it is which is weird because it already great. The need to conflate separate areas with Boston is a C-D phenomenon.
It’s really not..it comes down to living day to day...when I cross from Boston to Cambridge at least 2 times daily I don’t feel like I’m in a different city and neither does anyone around me

Old 03-28-2020, 03:13 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
I don’t know any adult raised in Boston who thinks of Malden as Boston. I have only ever heard the dedication to this argument on this board as a way to make Boston seem bigger or better than what it is which is weird because it already great. The need to conflate separate areas with Boston is a C-D phenomenon.
Na man, not at all. They operate as one, both weekday and weekends. One stop on the red line. Quick walk across the bridge. Hell even Harvard's campus is in both, but maintains complete walkability.

The names don't matter. Who gives a sh*t. They are one in the same to a majority. Central Square is every bit as Boston as Southie.

We go to Timeout Market for lunch in Fenway, have a drink in Harvard Square, take a walk and have drinks at the Nightshift beer garden on the Charles. No difference to anyone. No talk of Boston or not. Just Fenway, Harvard Square, the esplanade. All a quick walk.

If we are obsessed with diminishing the difference (which doesn't exist in real life) between Boston and Cambridge, you are equally obsessed with proving otherwise. Call it a class thing. Call it where we are from. Doesn't really change the way they operate together.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:14 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
maybe in high school..
It’s a bit more nuanced than that. Among the people I graduated with, there’s a spectrum regarding how much they still care or not. Plenty of adults really do fret over the boundaries.

And with all due respect, do you know many people who grew up in the city?

Old 03-28-2020, 03:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Who here actually was born and raised in Boston..I think its me and Walrus?

Old 03-28-2020, 03:17 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Who here actually was born and raised in Boston..I think its me and Walrus?
Does the fact that you're from the city, change the way others see it?

I mean, people from Mumbai call it Bombay. To me and you? It's Mumbai.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:23 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I mean, Cambridge and Somerville are urban jewels. Higher density than almost anywhere in North America. Commercial activity, broken into squares, with a ton of really good food. Really solid beer scene. Coffee shops everywhere. Hills. Blend of old and new. Constantly evolving. A lot of music venues. Pound for pound, Camberville offers more than Boston, hands down.

Cambridge/Somerville are quite frequently featured on lists of best places for millennials in the U.S. ^That's why.

You could add Brookline to this list, though it's a bit more buttoned up. Still a great extension of Boston that serves as a hotspot for young professionals/families. Kind of nice to be able to live a quiet residential street in Brookline, send your kids to some of the best public schools in the U.S., but still be able to walk to 200 bars and restaurants, and to Fenway. If only I made that kind of dough.

The below are the popular neighborhoods for college/young professionals/(upper crust)families, all within a few miles of downtown:
North End/West End
Beacon Hill
Back Bay
Seaport
South End
Charlestown
Southie
Cambridge
Fenway
Somerville
Brookline
Allston/Brighton

Boston doesn't feel so small. Even to a tourist, North End/West End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Seaport, South End, Cambridge, and Fenway are all very well traveled. So, for a city of 700k, there are a ton of areas to see, and a lot to do. Mind you, we're not even talking about "downtown", which I'd consider the common/public garden, downtown crossing, Faneuil hall, the greenway, the harbor.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...districts.html

Old 03-28-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Na man, not at all. They operate as one, both weekday and weekends. One stop on the red line. Quick walk across the bridge. Hell even Harvard's campus is in both, but maintains complete walkability.

The names don't matter. Who gives a sh*t. They are one in the same to a majority. Central Square is every bit as Boston as Southie.

We go to Timeout Market for lunch in Fenway, have a drink in Harvard Square, take a walk and have drinks at the Nightshift beer garden on the Charles. No difference to anyone. No talk of Boston or not. Just Fenway, Harvard Square, the esplanade. All a quick walk.

If we are obsessed with diminishing the difference (which doesn't exist in real life) between Boston and Cambridge, you are equally obsessed with proving otherwise. Call it a class thing. Call it where we are from. Doesn't really change the way they operate together.
This is supper classist. Most native Bostonians can’t afford to be out having drinks near Harvard or Fenway...you’re ignoring major issues of class, race and nativity so it a very warped reality you’re talking about.

If 75% of Bostonian children are low income (facts) and only 15% grow up to graduate from college in a timely fashion (fact) how many do you think grow up to be hanging out in Harvard Square Fenway and Esplanade. Some of the most expensive urban environs in the country? How many of those people around you do you actually think are originally from the City of Boston? Honestly.. I think we both know it’s not a large percentage.

If Roslindale Mattapan West Roxbury Hyde Park Mission Hill Dorchester Roxbury South End South Boston and East Boston account for 450k+ people (and all those areas were predominately lower middle class and family oriented until very very recently) how many of them have any reason to be at timeout market (never heard of it)?

You’re just talking as if the Boston area isn’t incredibly divided along racial lines, class lines, neighborhood lines and city boundaries when literally every piece of literature on the city indicates otherwise. Basically I feel like you’re talking fantasy. How many native Bostonians are even on the Esplanade at any given time? I don’t feel like you’ve got a wholistic understanding of the nodes and social norms of Boston and surrounding cities based off of what I am reading.

More native Bostonians are probably at South Shore Plaza Robs Ice Cream and Legacy Place than Inman Square or Assembly Row. Yet I don’t think we’d call Dedham “Boston”

Old 03-28-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Does the fact that you're from the city, change the way others see it?

I mean, people from Mumbai call it Bombay. To me and you? It's Mumbai.
He asked what do native Bostonians think. If your not a native Bostonian then why are you answering? I can guarantee I know more native Bostonians and and have had more conversations with them than you have.

You trying to step in and answer for native Bostonians is egotistic and the antithesis what MD Allstar asked for.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:30 PM

And quite frankly just because you and I might call a place Mumbai doesn’t make it Mumbai.

It like when we call it Ivory Coast, Ivorians will correct you immediately Côte d’Ivoire. Same thing with Cape Verde- a native Cape Verdean will tell you it’s Cabo Verd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City