Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you choose?
Kansas City 64 29.91%
Pittsburgh 123 57.48%
Indianapolis 38 17.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:08 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
True to some degree... but the size of the area that is nearly universally recognized as the South (From Richmond down to Florida, and west to the Mississipi), is HUGE, compared to the thin narrow band of land of the Bos-Wash corridor (and some would say just the Bos-Phi corridor). Literally like ten times the land area or more. Same large difference probably would be for the almost universally agreed upon definition of the midwest, and even larger for the western regions of the country. Those core definitons of the other regions are all massive, compared to the ones some consider to be the northeast.
You could also make a case for Pittsburgh being apart of the Great Lakes Megalopolis region which lies mainly within Midwestern United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You could also make a case for Pittsburgh being apart of the Great Lakes Megalopolis region which lies mainly within Midwestern United States.
That case has been made, many times over here on CD. The problem is, it just doesn't fit. Pittsburgh looks east, towards DC and NYC, not west towards Chicago.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That case has been made, many times over here on CD. The problem is, it just doesn't fit. Pittsburgh looks east, towards DC and NYC, not west towards Chicago.
I fail to see what Chicago has to do with Pittsburgh being part of the Great Lake basin. This is simple geography.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I fail to see what Chicago has to do with Pittsburgh being part of the Great Lake basin. This is simple geography.
Basic geography tells us that Chicago is on Lake Michigan.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Basic geography tells us that Chicago is on Lake Michigan.
Simple fact: Pittsburgh is one of several principle cities of the Great Lake basin and the state of Pennsylvania is a member of the Great Lakes Commission. Chicago has nothing to do with either one of those truths.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM

716 posts, read 765,199 times
Quote:
Simple fact: Pittsburgh is one of several principle cities of the Great Lake basin and the state of Pennsylvania is a member of the Great Lakes Commission. Chicago has nothing to do with either one of those truths.
Great Lake Basin? This is news to me. You'll find the topography doesn't quite match given that Pittsburgh is in the Appalachian plateau and that and the rivers in Pittsburgh most definitely are not a part of any Great Lake watershed, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean here.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Here is what Wiki says about the Great Lakes Basin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Basin
"The basin is home to 33 million people.[1] The basin hosts eight of Canada's 20 largest cities, including Toronto, Hamilton, London, St. Catharines, Niagara, Oshawa, Windsor, and Barrie. The United States cities of Duluth, Milwaukee, Chicago, Gary, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, and Rochester, are located on shores of the Great Lakes."

Chicago is on the list; Pittsburgh is not. It is 127 miles from Pittsburgh to Erie, on Lake Erie.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:20 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Huh? Pittsburgh is certainly not in any basin-- its on a plateau of the Allegheny Mountains. and it doesn't have much in common with the great lakes cities either. also its not very close to any of the great lakes - its almost as close to the Chesapeake Bay as it is to Lake Erie.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 PM

755 posts, read 471,953 times
You're correct _Buster. I believe ir is referred to as the Allegheny Plateau.

Having lived in western NY just east of the basin and now living in Pittsburgh, I don't really see much in common between the two areas, topographically, geographically or culturally.

You can slice and dice this many different ways, but I think Pittsburgh is an anomoly. We have lived here about 9 months and it is quite unique in many regards and I have a hard time pigeon-holing it into the Great Lakes, midwest, northeast, Appalachia, OR mid-Atlantic.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:31 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
You're correct _Buster. I believe ir is referred to as the Allegheny Plateau.

Having lived in western NY just east of the basin and now living in Pittsburgh, I don't really see much in common between the two areas, topographically, geographically or culturally.

You can slice and dice this many different ways, but I think Pittsburgh is an anomoly. We have lived here about 9 months and it is quite unique in many regards and I have a hard time pigeon-holing it into the Great Lakes, midwest, northeast, Appalachia, OR mid-Atlantic.
I’ve been in this Pittsburgh for six years now. Having grown up on the actual East Coast, and having lived in the actual Midwest, I think the US city most similar to Pittsburgh is Baltimore. Pittsburgh is also far more similar to Philadelphia and Boston than people like to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City