Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia vs. Seattle
Philadelphia 79 50.00%
Seattle 79 50.00%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 09:43 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This. But i would change Sports to Philadelphia, Public transit to Seattle but Philly for greater area, Downtown for Seattle and suburbs for Philadelphia.

Lemme expand on it.

Philly does the smaller urban nodes with cute boutique mainstreets (Media, Jenkintown, West Chester, Plymouth Meeting, etc.) better than Seattle while Seattle has actual edge cities with a functioning downtown ie; Bellevue, Tacoma, Everett, Kent, etc.; and for a metro our size, we are lacking in that regard.

There are only 3: Conshy, KOP, and Wilmington because Norristown, Camden, Chester and Darby (you can also include Trenton if you wish) do not have a centralized core or a very good one. They're unable to attract business and residential development, which has further resulted in their decline... Had they rebounded earlier or experienced less drastic declines, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 09:53 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Lemme expand on it.

Philly does the smaller urban nodes with cute boutique mainstreets (Media, Jenkintown, West Chester, Plymouth Meeting, etc.) better than Seattle while Seattle has actual edge cities with a functioning downtown ie; Bellevue, Tacoma, Everett, Kent, etc.; and for a metro our size, we are lacking in that regard.
True, Seattle definitely beats Philly on mixed-use suburban intensity, but Philly's suburbs excel on historic/bucolic charm and intimate streetscapes.

Just depends on what you value more.

Old 10-03-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
True, Seattle definitely beats Philly on mixed-use suburban intensity, but Philly's suburbs excel on historic/bucolic charm and intimate streetscapes.

Just depends on what you value more.
Which comes at a cost. There are hardly any corner shops, mini markets or cute boutique stores at the end of blocks like in Philadelphia.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:24 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
True. But Seattle's dotted with denser mixed-use districts, so you're generally within walking distance of at least coffee, a corner grocery, and a bar even if you live in a house.

I think the point was about the suburbs however. Washington state and local policy tends to focus growth into little "urban villages" and new+old downtowns in the suburbs as well. These tend to be farther apart from each other once you leave the older core, but a fast-increasing number of people live in or near places where you can walk to all the key retail and transit is reasonably decent.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:30 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
True. But Seattle's dotted with denser mixed-use districts, so you're generally within walking distance of at least coffee, a corner grocery, and a bar even if you live in a house.

I think the point was about the suburbs however. Washington state and local policy tends to focus growth into little "urban villages" and new+old downtowns in the suburbs as well. These tend to be farther apart from each other once you leave the older core, but a fast-increasing number of people live in or near places where you can walk to all the key retail and transit is reasonably decent.
Seattle and DC are pretty similar. Very SFH focused where it’s not largeish apartment/mix use neighborhoods

Old 10-03-2023, 03:33 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Hopefully more of Seattle's suburban nodes can look like DC's in the future. We're only starting to get into highrise zoning however.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:55 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Lemme expand on it.

There are only 3: Conshy, KOP, and Wilmington because Norristown, Camden, Chester and Darby (you can also include Trenton if you wish) do not have a centralized core or a very good one. They're unable to attract business and residential development, which has further resulted in their decline... Had they rebounded earlier or experienced less drastic declines, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
Fair points!

Old 10-03-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Didn't Washington State recently update the zoning on SFH and ban HOA's?

Old 10-04-2023, 01:13 AM

942 posts, read 562,765 times
Philadelphia for me. Much more going on, lower cost of living and better weather.

Seattle is nice to visit, but I would be bored after 3 days living there.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:21 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Philadelphia for me. Much more going on, lower cost of living and better weather.

Seattle is nice to visit, but I would be bored after 3 days living there.
I'm the opposite. I lived in the Philly suburbs (10 minutes from the actual city) for a year and couldn't wait to move. I moved there from NYC which I liked but just got tired of the high COL. I live in western Washington now for the past 7 years and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City