Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 10:16 PM

56 posts, read 68,607 times

Advertisements

the network infrastructure of SLC/Provo having fiber everywhere(10th most connected state in the nation, 95+% with access to fiber) as well as Google already in the area which puts pressure on the other fiber companies not screwing customers with low ****ty cable-tier upload limits that ive seen many major cities without a google presence doing.

theres only 1 major CABLE company in Boise metro and the gimmick microwave wireless internet (SLC/Provo has that too on top of real fiber)

also hearing that boise is "largely funded on the basis of a college team doing well each season to get Bowl invitation money" - exact words from livability's review made my final decision back on SLC

the climate is the same just slightly higher lows but still fine cause its all dry air and a hell of a lot better than 90s in florida and lows that are still upper 70s till maybe 5am when its cool enough to open the windows ughh

there was literally 3 days this year the AC wasnt running, so sick of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:55 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,386,030 times
I feel your pain. Just did an eight state tour and it wasn't below 86 F. until we started the return through St. George. Utah also was just about the only place a complete economy could be easily seen. Years past I was in really humid places back East, and never again.

The economic corridor through Utah even has a small refinery that looks state-of-the-art, along with the aquarium, lots of agriculture, and no shortage of higher level education sites. I'm the furthest thing from a Mormon, but did lots of handshake deals back in the day in Washington state. Great experience.

See you in September.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:58 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,461,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAqS6R0gRQet View Post
the network infrastructure of SLC/Provo having fiber everywhere(10th most connected state in the nation, 95+% with access to fiber) as well as Google already in the area which puts pressure on the other fiber companies not screwing customers with low ****ty cable-tier upload limits that ive seen many major cities without a google presence doing.

theres only 1 major CABLE company in Boise metro and the gimmick microwave wireless internet (SLC/Provo has that too on top of real fiber)

also hearing that boise is "largely funded on the basis of a college team doing well each season to get Bowl invitation money" - exact words from livability's review made my final decision back on SLC

the climate is the same just slightly higher lows but still fine cause its all dry air and a hell of a lot better than 90s in florida and lows that are still upper 70s till maybe 5am when its cool enough to open the windows ughh

there was literally 3 days this year the AC wasnt running, so sick of it
Boise is experiencing a different type of growth. Had some Utah companies not invested in Boise, a lot of infrastructure, 10 story buildings, flights and so much more wouldn't be in Boise.

There are so many companies expanding to Utah. If CA does the $15.00 minimum wage for all companies, experts say UT is the first choice for many smaller to mid-size companies to move their entire companies.

I think you made the right decision.

Good luck getting everything done for your move

MSR

Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,912,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Boise is experiencing a different type of growth. Had some Utah companies not invested in Boise, a lot of infrastructure, 10 story buildings, flights and so much more wouldn't be in Boise.

There are so many companies expanding to Utah. If CA does the $15.00 minimum wage for all companies, experts say UT is the first choice for many smaller to mid-size companies to move their entire companies.

MSR
MSR, do you realize that dAqS6R0gRQet has presumably decided on Washington? The "right" decision isn't moving to SLC. (the OP has also posted in the Idaho and Washington forums).

Refer to his or her post in the "Inversions and other slc questions" thread.

click on the arrow below which is to the right of the member name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAqS6R0gRQet View Post
03-28-2016, 08:14 PM
these confirmations are the exact thing that deterred me.

also the whole super religious-impact on the society of Utah aspect was already something i just didnt wanna deal with to begin with but woulda put up with it for gigabit internet everywhere, but part of my decision to move back north from FL is to take advantage of hardly-if-ever running AC in my car or home again, much less during the friggen winter because the air is crap, being able to breathe in crisp cool air is supposed to be one of its appeal tbh

finding that Boise also has similar issues of inversion along with being "mostly financially dependent on the success of the football team" shunned me away from that (plus no fiber laid out anywhere in the area according to the government maps)

Albuquerque has it as well and is also 10deg warmer year round along with monsoon "seasons" on top so that was out.

back to my original idea of Washington, but the east side away from the rain and humidity

Quote:

MSR
I respectfully disagree with the first sentence in your post as it is misleading. Boise has several homegrown large corporations (corporate headquarters) as well as other companies from the west coast and midwest who have recently relocated here or have satellite offices in the area, which adds to the flights in and out of BOI, Utah companies are not responsible for BOI's growth. Example, Simplot (an Idaho corporation) is currently building their new worldwide corporate headquarters in downtown Boise and will house almost 900 employees.

Just because Gardner Co, which also has an office in Boise/Meridian, has built a few buildings downtown doesn't mean Boise is what it is because of them. Gardner has added to what was already a vibrant downtown. The Clearwater Building they are currently constructing is going to be home to a Boise homegrown hi tech company as well as space for BSU. They built the 8th and Main tower which houses Idaho's Zions Bank headquarters as well as many other local companies. The transit center already had government funds in place to build it, Gardner decided to take the leap and help get it done.

There are other large buildings/developments that have recently been built by Idaho companies. A California developer is currently building in downtown. A lot of developers have their eyes on Boise.

I know that some Idaho/Boise construction companies have built down in Utah. Idaho and Utah have strong ties.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 04-07-2016 at 11:43 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 02:20 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,461,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
MSR, do you realize that dAqS6R0gRQet has presumably decided on Washington? The "right" decision isn't moving to SLC. (the OP has also posted in the Idaho and Washington forums).

Refer to his or her post in the "Inversions and other slc questions" thread.

click on the arrow below which is to the right of the member name.

I respectfully disagree with the first sentence in your post as it is misleading. Boise has several homegrown large corporations (corporate headquarters) as well as other companies from the west coast and midwest who have recently relocated here or have satellite offices in the area, which adds to the flights in and out of BOI, Utah companies are not responsible for BOI's growth. Example, Simplot (an Idaho corporation) is currently building their new worldwide corporate headquarters in downtown Boise and will house almost 900 employees.

Just because Gardner Co, which also has an office in Boise/Meridian, has built a few buildings downtown doesn't mean Boise is what it is because of them. Gardner has added to what was already a vibrant downtown. The Clearwater Building they are currently constructing is going to be home to a Boise homegrown hi tech company as well as space for BSU. They built the 8th and Main tower which houses Idaho's Zions Bank headquarters as well as many other local companies. The transit center already had government funds in place to build it, Gardner decided to take the leap and help get it done.

There are other large buildings/developments that have recently been built by Idaho companies. A California developer is currently building in downtown. A lot of developers have their eyes on Boise.

I know that some Idaho/Boise construction companies have built down in Utah. Idaho and Utah have strong ties.
That's okay, we can disagree, Syringaloid. I had a response all typed and was locked out. I lost it.

I'll just mention again both you and I have lived in both cities. I was thinking of companies more like PB & L, Zions Bank, about three credit unions, the Jazz D League - I just saw a noon news feature about downtown without the D League. I'm sure something else will fill the spot. Larry H. Miller car dealerships, R.C Wiley, IHC'S arrangement with St. Luke's and so many hotels, commercial space etc. built and developed by Utah companies.

I don't have time to write everything again, except Jet Blue wouldn't even say Boise and the Sky West facility at McGowan wouldn't be there without UT.

Utah businesses invested in Boise when businesses from other states wouldn't.

Boise is different given all the CA retires and more PNW expansions. I think I clarified the cities were different. Boise doesn't have an ARUP, or Myriad and other big Utah industries not in Idaho. Utah also has infrastructure Boise doesn't have.

Boise has plenty for those who want certain things. Utah has a wider variety of industries and infrastructure.

I have to sign out now. It's always interesting to compare notes.

MSR

Old 04-07-2016, 02:36 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,912,354 times
Quote:
That's okay, we can disagree, Syringaloid. I had a response all typed and was locked out. I lost it.

I'll just mention again both you and I have lived in both cities. I was thinking of companies more like PB & L, Zions Bank, about three credit unions, the Jazz D League - I just saw a noon news feature about downtown without the D League. I'm sure something else will fill the spot. Larry H. Miller car dealerships, R.C Wiley, IHC'S arrangement with St. Luke's and so many hotels, commercial space etc. built and developed by Utah companies.

I don't have time to write everything again, except Jet Blue wouldn't even say Boise and the Sky West facility at McGowan wouldn't be there without UT.

Utah businesses invested in Boise when businesses from other states wouldn't.

Boise is different given all the CA retires and more PNW expansions. I think I clarified the cities were different. Boise doesn't have an ARUP, or Myriad and other big Utah industries not in Idaho. Utah also has infrastructure Boise doesn't have.

Boise has plenty for those who want certain things. Utah has a wider variety of industries and infrastructure.

I have to sign out now. It's always interesting to compare notes.

MSR
You're comparing a city to a state. Besides, there are RC Willey's and Larry Miller auto dealerships all over the west, just not in Utah and Boise. St. Lukes was around and thriving before they decided to go into that arrangement with IHC.

The largest "group" of people moving into Boise are younger people from California in their 20's and 30's based on info last year. It is also popular for retirees.

You're from Idaho right? Why are you trying to bait the thread into a city vs. city thread? Your previous post was basically attempting to diminish Boise and cheerlead for Utah. Dissing Boise in a Utah thread isn't cool. I expect better from you based on your past posts.

Anyways this thread has gone way off topic

Both states and capitol cities are growing, they each have their separate attractions and things people like and dislike.
SLC and Boise are both youthful energetic cities and each has a bright future.

Back to the OP, research the posts. OP does not appear to be interested in Idaho or Utah anymore, so in reality this thread is dead.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 04-07-2016 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City