Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 09:17 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I get what Wizard is saying, though. It's the cultural and tourist hub of the Bay Area, but it's not the economic hub. When Silicon Valley does well, SF does well. Silicon Valley dictates the economy of the Bay Area, not SF, even though it is the premier city of the CSA. Everything SF does revolves around tech from Silicon Valley. Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc. are smaller than SF.
But this is true in most U.S. metros. Very few U.S. metros have a dominant downtown economic hub. LA, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta etc. are all less downtown-oriented than the Bay Area.

And downtown SF isn't dominated by tech. It has a fairly broad economic base. Silicon Valley is obviously completely dominated by tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
I think San Francisco being the premier city of the Bay Area, despite not being the largest, is a testament to how San Francisco punches above it's weight culturally and otherwise, not that it punched below it's weight economically. I find a hard time believing a municipality to be a suburb when it has a net inflow of commuters and is largely urban.

Also, Wizard, please stop with the insults. You know nothing about people yet tell them what to do and what they are. My family was very rich before the arrival of the Japanese, when all the wealth was confiscated, but has been able to rebuild ourselves with nothing following the war and are, by no means, poor.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I get what Wizard is saying, though. It's the cultural and tourist hub of the Bay Area, but it's not the economic hub. When Silicon Valley does well, SF does well. Silicon Valley dictates the economy of the Bay Area, not SF, even though it is the premier city of the CSA. Everything SF does revolves around tech from Silicon Valley. Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc. are smaller than SF.

Wizard doesnt get it. It all exists around San Francisco, because of San Francisco. SF is the center of the Bay Area's universe.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:10 AM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
you should try taking your own advice and checking facts before trying to argue with someone like me. First, you should not use census estimates from 8 to 10 years ago. 2nd Alameda County is not a part of Silicon Valley. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. it's very simple, compare San Francisco County, San Mateo County, and Santa Clara County. It's not that hard you can do it
You're still wrong. 90,000 commute to SF from San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, while SF sends 68,000 to those two counties.

Commuting (Journey to Work) Main - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Old 04-01-2016, 12:57 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
- San Jose
- Fresno
- Indianapolis
- Birmingham, AL
- Atlanta--for its size
- San Diego--take away the beaches and weather and you get Bland Diego. Actually a disappointing city, IMO.

Honorable mention: Orange County--I like the place, but for a county of 3,000,000, it's still slowly developing its own identity separate from L.A. That said, it still has a diverse array of neighborhoods and cities, a great mix of cultures, and one of the best job markets on the West Coast.
Is that happening some time in the near future, and I didn't hear about it?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:13 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
San Diego! its downtown is one of the weakest in the country.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
I'm going to play devil's advocate and claim that New York City punches below its weight, at least on the world stage. I think this mostly has to do with it not being a primate city though.

New York City is one of the top cities in the world. The only cities that are on the same level are London, Paris, and Tokyo. That being said, I would say that for most international tourists, they could visit London and count that as all they need to do to see the UK. Same with Paris and France, or Tokyo and Japan. International tourists can't really do that with New York and the United States, though.

Or if I put it this way, if you took the United Kingdom minus London vs. London, France minus Paris vs. Paris, or Tokyo minus Japan vs. Japan in terms of economic, political, social, and cultural clout, it's possible that the "everything elses" might win, but it would be a close fight. Owing to the vastness and sheer size of the United States though, the U.S. minus New York City vs. New York City wouldn't be anywhere close to a fair fight. The "everything else" would blow New York City out of the water. Even if you included the entire metro area.

Just stirring up some controversy here, but I think that being a primate city can sometimes help places punch above their weight, with New York City not being one a strong example of why this is true.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:18 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
The US is more similar to the entire EU than a single member of the EU. OTOH, you could equally say that NYC punches above its weight for competing with such cities while not even being the capital of the STATE that it's in!

Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 AM

444 posts, read 665,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Diego! its downtown is one of the weakest in the country.
Still obsessing over San Diego? Get over it.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:25 AM

444 posts, read 665,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Is that happening some time in the near future, and I didn't hear about it?
This guy has been on an SD rampage lately as he just moved out shortly after moving in. Couldn't make it here, lost his job here, couldn't make friends here, landlord kicked him out. And he blames San Diego for all this. Lol. He's pretty bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City