Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best for young adults?
New Orleans 12 16.22%
St. Louis 14 18.92%
Nashville 48 64.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:36 PM

34 posts, read 74,349 times

Advertisements

Deciding between these three cities for grad school. How do they compare as places to live for young adults/professionals? Important factors:

Entertainment options (bars, concerts, festivals, etc.)
Interesting, fairly walkable neighborhoods
Job opportunities/economic strength
Concentration of educated young people
Diversity and progressive culture

Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,399,867 times
[quote=magnoliashorty;50828368]Deciding between these three cities for grad school. How do they compare as places to live for young adults/professionals? Important factors:

Entertainment options (bars, concerts, festivals, etc.)...Nashville or New Orleans are on top are sort of designed around these things but St. Louis has a lot of options too.
Interesting, fairly walkable neighborhoods...New Orleans and St. Louis
Job opportunities/economic strength...Nashville, although IME St. Louis has a strong job market for the educated. It suffered more in blue collar/factory jobs
Concentration of educated young people...Nashville and St. Louis
Diversity and progressive culture...St.Louis...Nashville/New Orleans. Not a big enough difference to be a factor.

Personally I’d pick the best program because all 3 cities would be great in their own way.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,982,480 times
I live in St Louis, visit Nashville several times a year only visited new Orleans a few times.

Entertainment options: St Louis has the second highest concentration of Bars per capita. St Louis and New Orleans has a great amount of culture. St. Louis has Forest Park (History Museum, Zoo, Art Museum, Science Center and the MUNY theater) all are free attractions and world class. Nashville and New Orleans seem to have a better collection of festivals than St Louis. Nashville was listed as one of the most eventful cities in the country based up on number of venues and bookings.

I don't know about NO, but St Louis is a city built around the neighborhood. Each one has its own identity like The Hill Italian food, Central West End is medical and innovations startups, The Grove lgbt nightlife and so on and they are all walkable. STL also is the most connected of the three. 40+ miles of LRT connecting universities to airport to business districts.

Nashville is the fastest growing city and lowest unemployment rate. St. Louis has a lower unemployment rate than NO and a narrow margin higher than Nashville. St. Louis has the largest economy with the most fortune 500 companies and most economic diversity of the three.

Concentration of young educated people are all about the same. Nashville is more transient and has an it status.

Ethnic diversity goes to Nashville though I don't see as much progressive culture (lgbt issues as an example)

Below are a few references I used.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/dispa...ities/3882089/

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Old 01-26-2018, 05:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,054,125 times
If you want to have fun, live in New Orleans.
If you want to have fun and a career, live in Nashville.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:57 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,329,091 times
All 3 have some awesome areas, it really depends what you’re into.

STL has some great bars and obviously the STL Cardinals which is a blast.
The character of NOLA is one of my favorites in the US.

If I had to choose, I would say Nashville. Tons to do, great job fields, bar scene is awesome, etc...

Old 01-26-2018, 06:28 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,398,829 times
Nashville

Old 07-09-2018, 10:32 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,418,052 times
I can see why Nashville wins.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 PM

4,406 posts, read 4,303,036 times
Based on your criteria, Nashville easily.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 AM

372 posts, read 451,303 times
Based on your criteria:
Entertainment options- New Orleans has almost if not all of what you’re looking for and of course it’s a more let loose environment. Marks Gras, Jazz fest, voodoo fest, Essence Fest, Bourbon street, Frenchman st. etc something always going on.

Fairly walkable neighborhoods- New Orleans is very walkable and is known for being more urban than cities twice it’s size. Not sure how much more walkable it is in comparison to the other two.

Economy/job opportunities- Nashville probably. But I guess it depends what career you’re trying to get into.

Diversity/Progressive - All of these cities are in red states but New Orleans is very blue politically. Diversity is celebrated and the city is a melting pot of different cultures notable its creole, Spanish and French influences. The food is awesome the atmosphere is very live and let live.

I skipped concentration of educated people/young professionals. In the city there is Tulane, Xavier, SUNO, etc. New Orleans is smaller than the other two cities so naturally they should have more but I think New Orleans is a good balance. There have been an influx of young people moving over the past couple of years.

I would check out the New Orleans forum for more info on neighborhoods.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:37 AM

923 posts, read 666,584 times
Nashville all the way.Its got the the industry,the nightlife,relative cost of living and growth that the other cities lack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City