Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best for young adults?
New Orleans 12 16.22%
St. Louis 14 18.92%
Nashville 48 64.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM

26 posts, read 31,309 times

Advertisements

More Hype I guess.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/nashville-...394294b25.html -- - Nashville will serve as the East Coast hub of operations for Amazon .

Last edited by Onxyknight85; 11-13-2018 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree. Nashville is a tourist town for some. It also appears to be a growing business mecca. As far as big city living options like the visual and performing arts, shopping, neighborhood selection, transit and other things that appeals to urbanites, Nashville is lacking when compared to Saint Louis and New Orleans.
Obviously Nashville is a younger city than both so that's to be expected, but it's catching up in several of those areas pretty fast. And the news today that Amazon plans to create 5K jobs there won't hurt.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:49 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Obviously Nashville is a younger city than both so that's to be expected
Yes!

Quote:
it's catching up in several of those areas pretty fast.
Like what? These cities are so different. Remember St. Louis nor New Orleans are loosing ground in amenities and urban living options.

Quote:
And the news today that Amazon plans to create 5K jobs there won't hurt.
I am excited for Nashville with this announcement! Such big news that is a sign of a lot more things to come. Very good for Nashville! Can't wait to see Nashville in 2023.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 11-13-2018 at 03:06 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 PM

And you think this shows Nashville is closing in on other more established cities with retail, transit, shopping and cultural amenities and the arts?

You do realize 40+ miles of LRT with 7 more funded and on the drawing board in St. Louis? IKEA is already in the central corridor along with Whole Foods. You do realize that DT already has a full service grocery chain with another opening in the spring a few blocks away? You do realize that St. Louis does has over $8 billion under construction in the central corridor as of now? You do realize St Louis city has six fortune 500 companies and yes that is in the city alone. Msa has 10.

I do realize that Nashville is a growing city. I don't realize it's a better city for urban living. I don't realize Nashville has more to offer in this stage of the game.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
The hype I hear about Nashville recently (previous to the HQ2 news) reminds me of Portland/Austin back in the day. I was actually there last month and was pleasantly surprised. I think the future bodes well for the city.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You keep saying "great city, but..." then you dog it. You don't like Nashville. You make that very evident in your posts. Spare us the fake kindness and just say what you mean.
Nashville IS a great city! For what it is, a growing midsized southern city with 4 equal seasons and a growing and interesting urban core.

But a BIG CITY feel it is not! Not even close. It simply cannot compare to established cities like STL. In glam and hype? Sure! But not in any other way.

Nashville SCOFFS at being compared to metros barely 500k smaller. But then when you say it doesn't feel like an urban city with urban nabes of historic top 5 metros that are to this day, 1 million bigger, the Nashville cheerleaders cry. Why? I really don't get it.

Like, is there something in Nashville I am missing? I just don't get what makes Nashville worthy of hype that say, Richmond doesn't deserve (to use another similar mid sized city I don't represent).

To me, it's the "music city" hype brand. Its transformative. That and Nashville REALLY IS a fun party and drinking town. All the beautiful blondes roaming around every weekend...that helps!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Nashville IS a great city! For what it is
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
But a BIG CITY feel it is not!
I agree!

I don't understand why some want their city to be more than what it is.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
And you think this shows Nashville is closing in on other more established cities with retail, transit, shopping and cultural amenities and the arts?

You do realize 40+ miles of LRT with 7 more funded and on the drawing board in St. Louis? IKEA is already in the central corridor along with Whole Foods. You do realize that DT already has a full service grocery chain with another opening in the spring a few blocks away? You do realize that St. Louis does has over $8 billion under construction in the central corridor as of now? You do realize St Louis city has six fortune 500 companies and yes that is in the city alone. Msa has 10.

I do realize that Nashville is a growing city. I don't realize it's a better city for urban living. I don't realize Nashville has more to offer in this stage of the game.
I know St. Louis and New Orleans are ahead and I'm not arguing otherwise, but Nashville is slowly but surely closing that gap in several areas (although it's got a long way to go in the transit department and it won't ever have the old, historic neighborhoods those cities have). For instance, St. Louis recently lost a major league professional sports team while Nashville has gained one. Things will only accelerate when the Amazon jobs in particular materialize along with the economic spinoff that is sure to occur.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know St. Louis and New Orleans are ahead and I'm not arguing otherwise, but Nashville is slowly but surely closing that gap in several areas (although it's got a long way to go in the transit department and it won't ever have the old, historic neighborhoods those cities have). For instance, St. Louis recently lost a major league professional sports team while Nashville has gained one. Things will only accelerate when the Amazon jobs in particular materialize along with the economic spinoff that is sure to occur.
Yeah, sports teams come and go all the time especially in the NFL and NBA. The NFL leaving St. Louis didn't hurt the quality of life at all. If the Cardinals left that would be a major hit for the city.
LA went a long time without a team and the city maintained its status. The only reason MLS league didn't choose St. Louis was because the city voters turned down public funding for a DT stadium. The voters where asked for a major tax increase for Law Enforcement pay and a much needed LRT expansion at the same time as the MLS stadium was placed on the ballot. It appears that a MLS team is not out of reach for St. Louis. https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...home-top-story

Nashville is smashing St. Louis in the convention business for sure. And will probably continue to do so until the convention center is redesigned and the hotel rooms are completed in a few years. (And the Ferguson effect wears off)

Like I've said in many post that I am happy to see Nashville land the Amazon deal. That is huge!!! I am looking forward to seeing the impact that has on Nashville.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 11-14-2018 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City