Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities
Minneapolis 37 50.68%
Denver 36 49.32%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 AM

38 posts, read 35,911 times

Advertisements

They're pretty much tied in all fields, with the varying bit in climate and scenery being taste orientated.

I just kind of hate minnesota culture, so I'll go with Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:11 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottylerdurden View Post
What exactly is Minnesota culture? Minneapolis and St. Paul differ from their suburbs and are very different from other parts of Minnesota. Same can be said for Denver and other parts of Colorado.

IMO, one only needs to look at the long list of musicians / bands who are from Minneapolis (and St. Paul) over the years to gain an understanding of Minneapolis culture. Minneapolis definitely tops Denver in that aspect.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:45 PM

413 posts, read 323,428 times
Quote:
They're pretty much tied in all fields, with the varying bit in climate and scenery being taste orientated.

Wherever do you find the time to resurrect a more than 2 year old thread?

Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Denver

Old 11-05-2018, 04:01 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
IMO, one only needs to look at the long list of musicians / bands who are from Minneapolis (and St. Paul) over the years to gain an understanding of Minneapolis culture. Minneapolis definitely tops Denver in that aspect.
I don't know that it tops Denver, but it does have a different flavor. A lot of Minneapolis bands seemed to have grown out of the Prince era of the '80s. Denver's seems like a broader span of influences.
https://www.ranker.com/list/minneapo...here/reference
https://www.ranker.com/list/denver-b...here/reference

Look up the list of artist that have made the trip to CO and recorded at Caribou Ranch to see what influence CO has had on the music scene.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribou_Ranch

Old 11-05-2018, 04:20 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I don't know that it tops Denver, but it does have a different flavor. A lot of Minneapolis bands seemed to have grown out of the Prince era of the '80s. Denver's seems like a broader span of influences.
https://www.ranker.com/list/minneapo...here/reference
https://www.ranker.com/list/denver-b...here/reference

Look up the list of artist that have made the trip to CO and recorded at Caribou Ranch to see what influence CO has had on the music scene.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribou_Ranch
There is more to the Minneapolis music scene than just Prince and the the bands that associated with him and the "Minneapolis Sound" he started. The Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, Information Society, NEXT, Mint Condition, Atmosphere, the Jayhawks, the Jets, Babes in Toyland, Semisonic, Sounds of Blackness, etc... all started in Minneapolis (or St. Paul). Sorry, but I will take every one of those bands over the likes of The Fray, Lumineers, etc...

I've heard of Caribou Ranch and it's not located in Denver.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:33 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
There is more to the Minneapolis music scene than just Prince and the the bands that associated with him and the "Minneapolis Sound" he started. The Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, Information Society, NEXT, Mint Condition, Atmosphere, the Jayhawks, the Jets, Babes in Toyland, Semisonic, Sounds of Blackness, etc... all started in Minneapolis (or St. Paul). Sorry, but I will take every one of those bands over the likes of The Fray, Lumineers, etc...

I've heard of Caribou Ranch and it's not located in Denver.
Denver has been much more influential in the bluegrass, jam grass, and jam music scene than anything else.

String Cheese Incident
Elephant Revival
Yonder Mountain String Band
Leftover Salmon
Mollie O’Brien
Blue Canyon Boys
Hazel Miller

I think the best big name out of Denver recently is Nathaniel Ratliff.

In the 80s, Denver had Barry Fey put it on the map for touring acts. U2 played the tiny Rainbow Music Hall before doing their famous Under A Blood Red Sky album at Red Rocks. It’s a very interesting history. Fey was a visionary. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Fey

Old 12-25-2018, 04:15 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
I visited Minneapolis for the first time last week and found it to be a very enjoyable city. I stayed downtown and ate out at a great restaurant. The city reminded me of Denver in a lot of ways.

One thing that was rather funny was that it was in the 30s and 40s with a light rain while I was there - pretty much my definition of miserable winter weather, just damp, gray, and cold. I met a lot of people while I was there and if the weather ever came up, no less than 10 people had the exact same response: Laughing and saying “this isn’t cold!” I’m sorry, that IS cold. I realize it gets colder, but that’s still ****ty, cold weather.

I vote Denver because the cities are very similar, but the weather and nearby mountains make Denver a much better place for me.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:22 AM

225 posts, read 211,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I visited Minneapolis for the first time last week and found it to be a very enjoyable. [...]One thing that was rather funny was that it was in the 30s and 40s with a light rain while I was there - pretty much my definition of miserable winter weather, just damp, gray, and cold. I met a lot of people while I was there and if the weather ever came up, no less than 10 people had the exact same response: Laughing and saying “this isn’t cold!” I’m sorry, that IS cold.
This part of your response made me laugh out loud because I had the same experience when I first moved to Minneapolis. People here have developed a high, high tolerance for cold. If you talk about cold when it's near 40 or above, people are not going to take your pain seriously. 30s and 40s are much higher than the 20s we've been getting a lot recently so people, even myself now, don't perceive it as very cold.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM

413 posts, read 323,428 times
Quote:

Is that code for "it's too white"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City