Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:04 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm glad you found your place of solace that fits you and sounds like Detroit is just made for you. However your misrepresentation of broadly charactererizing DC is gross exaggeration. People don't have to work 80 hrs a week here, mainly because the salaries are so high already. I know you were talking about the people, but ironic how someone could label DC "cold" coming from Detroit lol. Also ironic that you mentioned not making friends outside of work because my brother's gf is from the Detroit area, and she seems to have met numerous people she hangs with to call friends/associates. DC is a city/metro where people move to get ahead. I'm familiar with Detroit, I have family scattered throughout the region and worked there for a summer. Metro Detroit is not bad and a comfortable place for many, but the area is not progressive enough for me and still has a way to go until it will catch up to cities or metros like DC or the Bay Area.

The midwest is mostly flyover country outside of Detroit, Chicago, and the Ohio cities, I don't see how this is offensive either.
Minneapolis/St. Paul; Milwaukee, WI; Grand Rapids, MI; Ann Arbor, MI; Madison, WI; St. Louis; and Kansas City would beg to differ.

In fact,
Traverse City

Holland, Michigan

Mackinac Island

and The Sleeping Bear Dunes

....would all beg to differ

What does progressive mean for you, just curious? No hostility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Minneapolis/St. Paul; Milwaukee, WI; Grand Rapids, MI; Ann Arbor, MI; Madison, WI; St. Louis; and Kansas City would beg to differ.

In fact,
Traverse City

Holland, Michigan

Mackinac Island

and The Sleeping Bear Dunes

....would all beg to differ

What does progressive mean for you, just curious? No hostility
But why would anyone go out of their way to go to any of the destinations above unless you lived within a comfortable driving distance? Do you seriously think anyone unless they had family there would fly into Grand Rapids MI to go to Holland? They would "fly over" it to go to a more noteworthy destination. The above looks nice but I can find similar or better along the coasts and get to go to a major destinations like SF, LA, SD, Seattle, DC, NYC, Boston, Miami etc...

Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But why would anyone go out of their way to go to any of the destinations above unless you lived within a comfortable driving distance? Do you seriously think anyone unless they had family there would fly into Grand Rapids MI to go to Holland? They would "fly over" it to go to a more noteworthy destination. The above looks nice but I can find similar or better along the coasts and get to go to a major destinations like SF, LA, SD, Seattle, DC, NYC, Boston, Miami etc...

I've spent significant time in Michigan, Traverse City is like that picture maybe 4/5 months a year, and at the end of the world if your coming from Detroit's metro. I think Toronto is closer lol.

Upper Michigan is beautiful though.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:43 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
My friend recently went on a business trip there. He has lived in LA, DC, Chicago, and Phoenix and he was extremely impressed with downtown detroit. He said it had a great bar scene, restaurants, and he noticed that there were a lot of young people.
Yep, so many people just have no clue as to what is happening in Detroit these days. Here's a great article from the NY Daily Times on Detroit finally being on the verge of a real renaissance.

http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/...icle-1.2626718

Old 05-06-2016, 08:11 PM

311 posts, read 313,835 times
I don't know if you would consider it but Philadelphia has been described as what Detroit would be like now if Detroit had halted its slide a little earlier. It's growing well right now and has an urban, gritty feel similar to Detroit but currently is doing quite a bit better economically. The COL is incredible for a city its size (far lower than Boston, DC, or San Fran) and it's in a prime location just 90 minutes from Baltimore and 2 hours from NYC and DC. Center City Philadelphia is the largest downtown in the country outside of Manhattan, just surpassing downtown Chicago. University City with UPenn, Drexel, and the University of the Sciences is growing at an incredible pace and is becoming a big place for young people with huge developments approved and being worked on. In addition, the city has one of the best arts and cultural scenes in the country, not to mention being the most historic city in America. I think Philly should definitely be added to your list of considerations.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
There are plenty of places in the USA which are noteworthy. But your attempt to discount noteworthy places in "flyover" country really only serves a psychological need on your part to not feel as if you are missing something in your life, or that you are a part of or take ownership in something more prestigious.

So all of these people who don't fly to the coasts should call those areas "NO FLY TO" country or are you disregarding these millions of people as noteworthy?

To begin, I am unsure where on the coast you can find a Mackinac Island - an island which is breathtaking and where no motorized vehicles exist? Not sure where there are places on the coast where you can find 45 miles of limestone formations such as the Pictured Rocks off the coast of the Upper Peninsula. You can discount that too.

Also unsure where you can find a place like the Sleeping Bear Dunes which by the way was rated as one of America's most beautiful places. You can discount that too.

The gold coast of Michigan was rated by Conde Nast as one of the top 25 shorelines in the WORLD. You can discount that too.

With your question about Holland - well let's see. I am sure there are many people who would be interested in one of the largest tulip festivals, looking at Dutch architecture (heard of a Dutch door?), eating Dutch food, and going to the nation's only authentic working Dutch windmill. Holland's downtown is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.Not bad for just one small town in Michigan. But again, you can discount that too.

Btw there are hundreds just like it dotting the 3100 miles of Michigan's coasts. You have 3100 miles of beaches, marshes, forests, sand dunes, etc to discount as well.

There are noteworthy places all over the USA. Hard to concept to grasp though.

DON'T HATE.....CONGRATULATE.

BYE FELECIA FROM NO FLY TO COUNTRY. Here is a video of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Watch it since you will always be flying over it and never see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gagnnGKprBE

Old 05-06-2016, 09:52 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
There are plenty of places in the USA which are noteworthy. But your attempt to discount noteworthy places in "flyover" country really only serves a psychological need on your part to not feel as if you are missing something in your life, or that you are a part of or take ownership in something more prestigious.

So all of these people who don't fly to the coasts should call those areas "NO FLY TO" country or are you disregarding these millions of people as noteworthy?

To begin, I am unsure where on the coast you can find a Mackinac Island - an island which is breathtaking and where no motorized vehicles exist? Not sure where there are places on the coast where you can find 45 miles of limestone formations such as the Pictured Rocks off the coast of the Upper Peninsula. You can discount that too.

Also unsure where you can find a place like the Sleeping Bear Dunes which by the way was rated as one of America's most beautiful places. You can discount that too.

The gold coast of Michigan was rated by Conde Nast as one of the top 25 shorelines in the WORLD. You can discount that too.

With your question about Holland - well let's see. I am sure there are many people who would be interested in one of the largest tulip festivals, looking at Dutch architecture (heard of a Dutch door?), eating Dutch food, and going to the nation's only authentic working Dutch windmill. Holland's downtown is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.Not bad for just one small town in Michigan. But again, you can discount that too.

Btw there are hundreds just like it dotting the 3100 miles of Michigan's coasts. You have 3100 miles of beaches, marshes, forests, sand dunes, etc to discount as well.

There are noteworthy places all over the USA. Hard to concept to grasp though.

DON'T HATE.....CONGRATULATE.

BYE FELECIA FROM NO FLY TO COUNTRY. Here is a video of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Watch it since you will always be flying over it and never see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gagnnGKprBE
hmm... insecure much? I didn't say anything negative about any of the places you listed. I don't think of "fly over country" as anything bad, it just describes places often overlooked.

If had the funds to fly to Michigan and go to Holland to see all of the "Dutch" items, I'm sorry but I'd rather spend a little more and go to the Netherlands. Same goes for the other areas you mentioned, I'd rather spend my money on going to Hawaii, Grand Canyon, Everglades, NYC, Vancouver etc..
However if any of the destinations you listed were close enough for me to drive to I'd probably go visit all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City